Someone posted "there has not been much Nottingham content posted just lately",maybe we can debate this one.

We all know about the "cock horse" that was based just up from the market square to assist the horse drawn trams up Derby road but was there any others in Nottingham?ie:bottom of Ilkeston road,other side of Derby road,Alfreton road or any other steep gradients the tram horses would have struggled up

Rog

I think the Derby Road example was probably the only one, mainly because there were only a small number of horse-tram routes.

There was one route from St Peter's Church, down Arkwright Street, to Trent Bridge - so no steep hills there.

One from Market Square, up Mansfield Road, to Carrington;

and one from Market Square, up Mansfield Road turning left on to Forest Road and along to Burns Street.

And the one which definitely had the cock horses, from Market Square, Chapel Bar, Derby Road, Alfreton Road, Radford Road, and to Basford.

And I think that's yer lot in horse-drawn trams.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for that CT

Not too sure but,somewhere in front of the Bell or Yates public house was a "cock horse"enclosure where the horses were kept to hook up to the horse trams before they went up Deby road to assist the tram horse,I just wondered if there were any more about the city

Rog

A little bit off topic but along a similar theme. Ilkeston Road travelling from Lenton Boulevard towards Canning Circus the last row of houses on the right are much higher than the Road. I beleive this is because the road was excavated deeper to make the hill less steep for carts etc to travel. 

Letsavagoo,I think I know the houses you mentioned,is there a road behind those properties that is much higher than the Ilkeston road,if so that makes sense about Ilkeston road being in a cutting,CT is there any pictures about that area,Going back to the Cock horse,I remember seeing a picture in an "Old Nottingham"book of the Cock horse stand in Bell/Yates public house area

Rog

11 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

A little bit off topic but along a similar theme. Ilkeston Road travelling from Lenton Boulevard towards Canning Circus the last row of houses on the right are much higher than the Road. I beleive this is because the road was excavated deeper to make the hill less steep for carts etc to travel. 

These ?  https://goo.gl/maps/pJyAQZSCtkH2

• Upvote 1

Mrs Catfan was brought up in one of those houses ! These houses at one time were owned by the NCB & Mrs Cs grandad was a miner at Clifton colliery for many years.

Number 3 Arundel Terrace.

P1020244-web_zps4d8791a0.jpg

Her grandad's garden now tarmac ! He grew prize roses there.

P1020246-web_zps617fbcc5.jpg

• Upvote 1

When I joind NCT in '74 an old driver was retiring at 65 years. He had worked on NCT all his life & his first job leaving school at 14 years of age was being a "Points Lad" changing the track points at Canning Circus for the various trams interchanging.

Me Dad worked at Clifton pit until it closed,useless info I know but I just had to say it

Rog

• Upvote 1
On 29/04/2017 at 8:12 AM, catfan said:

When I joind NCT in '74 an old driver was retiring at 65 years. He had worked on NCT all his life & his first job leaving school at 14 years of age was being a "Points Lad" changing the track points at Canning Circus for the various trams interchanging.

In those early days he would've been surrounded by shelters, toilets, and a strange assortment of buildings. At least he had somewhere to hide when the weather was bad.

DWFhgVH.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • 8 months later...

Has the city council considered bringing some of these horse trams back to replace the now aging (and unreliable) Nottingham trams, could be more reliable,if a horse is knackered just un hitch him and hitch another one in his place, very environmentally friendly, bi- products could be used to suppliment the garden waste bins during the winter months when there is little or no garden waste to recycle, just need a bag of oats every now and again and a drink of water to keep them going,would make a good tourist attraction as well (sorry forgot the council are only interested in bringing students into the city not paying tourists)

Just a thought

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hopefully, the Welsh wouldn't be 'fleeced' by their local councils.

• Like 1

The "Cock horse" was hitched up to the original horse to help it up Derby road I suppose you could liken it to a "banking engine" on the railway

Rog