Today, April 26, so I have just read, is National Richter scale day - would you believe? Apparently the area in Notts  most susceptible to earthquakes is Mansfield. If the worst were to happen it would probably cause millions of pounds worth of improvements.

• Upvote 1

Jesus Christ, let's all rejoice. Who comes up with such irrelevant, superficial, superfluous and downright useless crap. 

Some pen pusher is paid ridiculous sums to come up with this nonsense. 

Mansfield is more susceptible because of over 100 years of mining in the area. Anyone with a modicum of knowledge regarding social history should know that !

I'm not getting at you Phil. It's just that there is currently so much waffle in the world  , that its stifling reality.

What next, Quilted Loo Roll week !

• Upvote 2

I don't know the extent of the damage in the UK as there are very few records from the event, but a few hundred years ago Europe suffered a major earthquake. As most areas were under developed and populated, stories seemed to have got lost in the mists of time.

An archeologist discovered stories dating to the period in manuscripts, it intrigued him, so he delved into the subject for a few years, trekking across Poland, Germany, France etc and found evidence of a major earthquake, that if happened today would kill millions and cause many billions in damage.

He passed on all the information on to geologists, they in turn discovered an unknown fault that spreads right across Europe and into the UK that rivals the San Andreas fault of California. Turns out this fault is under heavy stress and is due for another "big one". I forget the figures like dates position etc of the fault, but must have been earlier than the 1400's.

So don't discount earthquakes in the UK. Also, Nottingham is a tad hollow beneath your feet after around 800 years of coal mining!! Try Newcastle Colliery, Radford Colliery, Wollaton Colliery and Clifton Colliery which went under the Meadows, West Bridgford, Wilford and as far as the Midland Station. One day all that lot has to collapse and drop the surface a few feet.  There were also shallow mining collieries dotted all over dating to before Nottingham expanded it's bounderies.

I would assume this had to be before the 1066 Norman invasion as they would have probably had a record of it.  Quite a few of the old cathedrals / churches date from around that time with no records or evidence of any damage there.  Unless I'm missing something. :(

The 2012 we went on a holiday in New Zealand, at the time we booked all our hotel's  via inter-net, we could not understand why we could not book any hotels in Christchurch. This was after New Zealand had, had an earthquake. 

When we arrived in Christchurch we could see why we had not been able to book a hotel. There were no hotel's left standing, a church was being held together by steel girder's, a cinema was split in half all you could see was a semi circle of chairs, large crevasse and craters in the roads.

The people had made a small town fro shipping containers.

The worst thing was in the centre there had been an office/radio station and the ground now was empty, but for about 40 chairs painted white one for each person who had lost there life, with a notice say (if I can remember) just sit a minute in any chair and think of the person who used to sit on this seat. This brought a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes "but I did sit a while"

• Upvote 4

Been through two earthquakes, Australia, when I lived in Wollongong, scare the crap out of me, I was in bed when it struck, cracked the brickwork in the stairwell of the block of flats I lived in, second was the Loma Prieta quake of 89, wasn't bad as it happened in the Bay area, but certainly felt it in Sacramento, and I'm wrong THREE quakes, last was when we lived in the foothills above Sacramento, hit us about 5-30am in the morning, Sacramento felt it about ten minutes later. Shook the house pretty bad, I checked all the plumbing lines, no damage.

I don't recall the dates Dave, I'll look the subject up tomorrow, too many storms around me now, and I have to disconnect the DSL line.

Yes' that line of storms is due here about midday tomorrow.  Glad it is not expected in the middle of the night.

We stayed with some friends of friends in L.A.  around the mid 80s.  I noticed some cracks in his house from earthquakes.  I said I was glad I did not live there I'd be on edge all the time.  He replied he was glad he did not live where I did in Alberta.  He'd heard of folks getting lost between house and barn in a blizzard and being found frozen solid days later.  He wasn't joking.  So I guess its just a matter of perspective.

philmayfield and FLY2

"EARTHQUAKE IN MANSFIELD

An earthquake measuring 4.3 on the Richter scale hit Mansfield in the early hours, its epicentre was in Clipstone. Victims were seen wandering around aimlessly, muttering "Fuuuckinell".

The tremor decimated the area causing approximately £30 worth of damage. Several priceless collections of mementos from Majorca and the Costa del Sol were damaged beyond repair.

Three areas of historic burnt out cars were disturbed. Many locals were woken well before their giros arrived.

Mansfield 103.7FM reported that hundreds of residents were confused and bewildered and were still trying to come to terms with the fact that something interesting had happened in Mansfield. One resident - Tracy Sharon Smith, a 15-year-old mother of 5 said, "It was such a shock, my little Chardonnay-Mercedes come running into my bedroom crying. My youngest two, Tyler-Morgan and Victoria-Storm slept through it all. I was still shaking when I was skinning up and watching Jeremy Kyle the next morning."

Apparently looting, muggings and car crime were unaffected and carried on as normal. The British Red Cross has so far managed to ship 4,000 crates of Sunny Delight to the area to help the stricken locals.

Rescue workers are still searching through the rubble and have found large quantities of personal belongings, including benefit books, jewellery from Elizabeth Duke at Argos and Bone China from Poundland.

HOW CAN YOU HELP?

This appeal is to raise money for food and clothing parcels for those unfortunate enough to be caught up in this disaster.

Clothing is most sought after - items most needed include:

Nike or Burberry baseball caps

Kappa tracksuit tops (his and hers)

Shell suits (female)

White sport socks

Rockport boots and any other items usually sold in Primark.

Food parcels may be harder to come by, but are needed all the same.

Required foodstuffs include:

Microwave meals, Tins of baked beans, Ice cream, Cans of Colt 45 or Special Brew.

22p buys a biro for filling in the compensation forms.

£2 buys chips, crisps and blue fizzy drinks for a family of 9.

£5 buys B&H and a lighter to calm the nerves of those affected.

***Breaking news***

Rescue workers found a girl in the rubble smothered in raspberry alco-pop.

'Where are you bleeding from?' they asked, "Ravensdale" said the girl, "wossit gotta do wiv you?"

• Upvote 8

Well so far I picked up 1340AD, but I'm pretty sure the documentary I watched a couple of years backs said earlier, I'll keep looking today.

We have the New Madrid fault line to the east of us, last time that moved it was felt as far east as Boston, back then the whole mid west was a low population area, but now cities like Memphis and St Louis are in the target area, plus many large bridges across the Mississippi River could sustain serious damage when it moves again.

• Upvote 1

Well that's only 44 years after the invasion.  Doubt if they'd even built anything to solid by that time.  Interesting info, thanks.  I was not aware England had ever suffered a serious earthquake.

I've searched and searched and cannot find the documentary, I'll keep searching later, but some dates seem to lead around 900AD to 1000AD and the Anatolian Fault seems to ring a bell.

From memory, the feller found transcripts which puzzled him, stone Churches collapsing, town walls collapsing, as he did a wider sweep, he searched church records and found the same, but north and south just transcripts of church bells ringing for no apparent reason, but east and west, severe damage. All he could put it down to was a very major earthquake.

So he took his evidence to geologists are various Universities in Europe, who seemed to agree with him, BUT, they knew of no major fault line extending across Europe.

Funds were made available and with drill rigs, they located a fault which could suggest earthquakes. After a few years they had mapped the fault from far east of Europe and together with the BGS in the UK, found it went directly through the Midlands. 

That's about all I can recall until I find the documentary.

About 9 years ago we had one, felt in Derby and York we were at the time. Me and Missus were on a ground floor of a hotel in York (our 25th wedding anniversay). Before we went to sleep I said  I hope a mad axe man dont come throught the window.

Early hours of the morning we were woken with a rumbling and Julie said "What was that? go out check if the car is OK" 

Me " F*** the car" and we both got under the sheets for fear of the axe man lol. Soon our daughter phoned from Derby and we realised it was an earth tremor.  I never mention axe men before we go to sleep now though.

• Upvote 1