St Edmund's ? (or St Andrews)

I attended a funeral at St Edmunds, Mansfield Woodhouse last year, but I couldn't swear that that's it.

St Andrews looks  favourite.

I thought of St Andrew's when I first saw it, and it only goes to prove you can't believe everything you read.

andrew1_zpskg4uczgq.jpg

There is one difference, in that there is now an extension at the end wall which faces on to Mansfield Road (below the large, round window).

• Upvote 1

Great pic. I've always admired this church, especially the colour of the stone. It needs a bit of TLC, but it's still pretty impressive.

Are large round windows called Orioles ? I believe so.

That image looks like the church that Mam/Dad  and all my aunties got married in, 1940/50s. The one that I was bridesmaid in twice in the 1950s. Opposite the Cemetery, if I remember correctly, we have mentioned it on another thread somewhere. It's the one that I thought the photo was taken outside but it turned out to be taken at the hall on Alfred St North

.096c775d-50d5-4146-9b1e-65aa27d0addf.png

• Upvote 3

Nice photo carnie.............could have been my family two of the Bridesmaids are the spit'n'image of two of my Aunts,.........and the lad at the back could have been me........if his trousers were white silk and his hair blonde...............

• Upvote 1

The lady at the back right was my auntie, my sister and I were her bridesmaids as well at the same church and afterwards again at the hall on Alfred St North. A little blondie when you was a mere lad then, just like Mwar. Mine is still Blonde (Well that's what I call It anyway)! lol White silk trousers as well, benj, you knew how to dress even at such a young age.:)

• Upvote 1

Me Mam had a big influence on me dress sense carnie............she was a dressmaker............hence silk shirts and trousers,even wore a 'Dickie-bow' to junior school parties..............drew the line when I was about 7 and she knitted me a 'bunny rabbit hat' to go to school in.............threw it over a big Hedge on Leybourne drive................told her somebody pinched it...............imagine school football captain in a 'Bunny Hat'................lol

• Upvote 2

Somewhere among my thousands of photos, I have one of st Edmund's in Mansfield Woodouse and also of the Colliery manager's house, taken probably 100 years ago by the father of Molly Fryar (see the Barbers of Lamb Close thread).  I will try to find them. The church does look like St Andrew's which is where my maternal grandfather was baptised. It has added buttresses  in the colour  photo.

17 hours ago, carni said:

#7      That image looks like the church that Mam/Dad  and all my aunties got married in, 1940/50s. The one that I was bridesmaid in twice in the 1950s. Opposite the Cemetery, if I remember correctly, we have mentioned it on another thread somewhere. It's the one that I thought the photo was taken outside but it turned out to be taken at the hall on Alfred St North

The "other thread" is this one, starting at #102   https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/10947-demolished-memories/?page=5

• Upvote 1

Wow. Thanks Cliff Ton. Demolished Memories. That is a great thread ( Big Anawl) with lots of interesting information about Nottingham. I am now going to spend an hour reading through it all. This is what I love about Nottstalgia. Better put Kettle on.:)

Just gone on that link Ciff Ton it's the first time I have seen it brilliant thanks.

That's a great pic of you carni it couldn't be long after that when you moved to Gedling

and our long and happy friendship started.:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

I have a feeling that I might have moved to Gedling at a younger age Sue, but you know me....I can only just remember yesterday nemind 60 odd years ago! I think we moved around a bit from Grandma's Chatsworth Ave, Carlton and the other Grandmas on Vicarage St until we got the house on Hardys Drive Gedling. Come on gel, I rely on you to bring back those memories. :biggrin: