Two local connections regarding the Dam Busters. Barnes Wallace, the brilliant inventor of the bouncing bomb was born in Ripley, and  Eric Coates, the composer of the Dam Busters March was born in Hucknall.

Plenty of Albert Ball stuff in the castle museum,well worth a look,

Rog

I find it positively remarkable that Albert was only 20 when he unfortunately died. 

20 year olds can barely wipe their backsides or tie their shoelaces these days. We've not progressed much in 100 years have we ! 

Yesterday evening we went to the Memorial Service by the Albert Ball statue in the Castle grounds.  Unfortunately the Air Force cadets and various dignitaries took about an hour to get organised. The published time of the Service was given as 7pm with gates opening at 6.30,  so we got down there just before 6.30 and had a swift drink in The Crafty Crow, as ya do!  The gates were eventually opened and the congregation allowed in at just before 7.  We all stood around getting perished for an hour whilst the cadets, band and other VIPs worked out what they should be doing. You'd think an event such as this could have been rehearsed at the Castle beforehand but never mind, it was what it was.  When things got underway it was a very nice service led by the Padre from Chetwynd Barracks and then poppy wreaths were laid at the base of Albert's statue by various people.  

One point I'd like to make though ........ it was a shame that the City Council (or whoever is responsible for the upkeep of the grounds) couldn't have made a little more effort getting the area spruced up.  Autumn leaves were covering the paved area around the statue.  Half an hour's work by a man with a blower could have tidied it up.  

The Beeb were there filming the event ........ and hey, I got on the telly!  

Re # 6,  I've got plenty of stuff about our Albert too, including a photo that I've never ever seen published 

• Upvote 5
32 minutes ago, broxtowelad said:

I wonder if Trent college, in Long Eaton, remembered one of their former pupils?

I did expect Trent College to be mentioned as one of his places of learning in the address by the Padre but he only mentioned Nottingham High School which is a shame.  The High School CCF were there, not sure if there was a contingent from Trent College though.   

I won't lie, I'll admit my youth by saying, since Lizzie posted this on the wonderful world of Facebook yesterday, I had never heard of Albert Ball. It's a shame more local history about local heroes aren't taught more in schools! Enjoyed reading the article. Thanks Michael. 

• Upvote 1

#11 Thanks Michael, I would have posted that link if only I could work out how to do it!  There's a short video on Radio Nottingham website too.  

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...