Of course 'times change'.   They even expect boys to do Food Technology now, and girls to do Design and Technology!!  

(Food Technology is about food and cooking, and Design and Technology is about working with wood, metal and plastics)

Bring back embroidery classes and how to darn socks for the girls, I say...  ;)

• Like 1
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The inventor of autocorrect has died. I didn't even know he was I'll.

Part of me wants to change the title of this thread to Apostrophe's.

Why are more than one house called Houses when more than one Mouse is called Mice,should more than one house be called Hice or should more than one Mouse be called Mouses? as soon as this rain stops I

Hey Margie,, i did sewing at school when i was about 6,,,teacher was confused by my sewing style (left handed) made me Grandma a ration book holder, Quite enjoyed sewing,much better than metalwork,,i was still a tough nut though,,Lol,

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I know Margie,, i wanted to carry on with the girls,,but they wouldn't let me,, had to do all that clattering and banging about with the boys at metal and woodwork,, 

• Upvote 2

My father was conscripted into the Royal Navy in 1942. During basic training, they were all given a length of petersham ribbon from which they were required to fashion a bow which was then sewn onto their hats.  They were each issued with a Housewife...no, don't get excited, Ben...it was the naval name for a sewing kit.

Dad always sewed on his own buttons in later life and could effect simple repairs, in addition to pressing his own trousers...he was very particular about the creases.

He told me that some of those on basic training with him could knit...which disturbed him not a little!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I can still cast on and knit one purl one but it's mind numbing after 15 mins or so. Never actually finished anything and lost interest when an aunt demonstrated four needle knitting.  Her knitting machine was interesting though. 

I could knit, crochet and embroider before arthritis took such a hold. I was in the knitting industry research for ten years though, which helped, I suppose.

• Upvote 1

I also knit, crochet (only very basically though) and can do embroidery although haven’t done that for a while. I do like doing counted cross stitch, suppose that could count as embroidery, find it very relaxing and like seeing the picture take shape. Think knitting and crocheting is a dying art, never buy a jumper always knit my own (thanks to my mum teaching me very patiently when I used to get a lot of tonsillitis when I was younger).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If anyone would like to see misuse of apostrophes and awful spelling get on the Facebook ‘Nottingham Way Back When’ page.  It makes you wonder whether many Nottingham folk ever went to school.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If any, one would like to see miss use of apostriphe's and awfull spelling get on the Facebook ‘Nottingham Way Back When’ page it makes you wonder weather any Nottingham folk ever went to school and lernt to spel.

Lizzies post corrected to proper English.        thumbsup

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

"Never use the word 'Got' unless you've got to." [T.Delee, deputy head, St B's 1960s. Former classics teacher, Cambs.]

We were taught the words, seem, that, really, very. etc are superfluous and should be avoided when writing. Not a rule I'm very good at keeping..

It's just one of those old English words imported into the US Nonna, dates back the 14th century England. Many old English words have stayed in use on this side of the pond, like hog for pig and Buzzard for vulture, both old English words.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

What about the word gotten from USA. Never did understand that

This is not an Americanism, nonna. It can be found in the writings of John Milton and his contemporaries and is an example of how the English language has changed over time.

• Like 1

Good book on the subject, very funny to, "The Mother Tongue" By Bill Bryson, an American Journalist who spent many years living and working in the UK. Well worth reading, and as I said very funny..

Examples of English changing over the years, up until the 1920's coal was spelled as "Cole" and a load of coal was spelled "coles".

I've downloaded many old mining books off the internet dating back to the mid 1800's, and it's amazing how the "British" English has altered in word spellings and usage up to today.

1 minute ago, Ayupmeducks said:

Good book on the subject, very funny to, "The Mother Tongue" By Bill Bryson, an American Journalist who spent many years living and working in the UK. Well worth reading, and as I said very funny..

We love Bill Bryson books, thought we’d got them all but not heard of that one.  I bought the first one he wrote, ‘Notes from a Small Island’ at Heathrow on the way out to the Caribbean, many many years ago.  Never laughed so much ....... people probably thought I was some kind of nut, lying on the beach howling with laughter.  A very clever man, lives in Norfolk I think. 

• Upvote 1

I wasn't sure whether he'd moved back stateside, I know he has been a Journalist for the Times and other UK newspapers over the years, but a very funny author, I couldn't put the book down until I'd read it cover to cover.

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

This is not an Americanism, nonna. It can be found in the writings of John Milton and his contemporaries and is an example of how the English language has changed over time.

We were taught at primary school to avoid the use of the word ‘got’. I think the expansion into ‘gotten’ would have sent the teacher apoplectic. Very much teaching of the time though. Quite a few of the posher kids in the class used to have elocution lessons ‘to lern them to tork proper’.

I never had elocution lessons either Margie ......... although at the first Parents Evening at C-Le-W my English teacher Mr Knowles, told my parents he thought I’d had elocution lessons!   Crikey, were they proud!  That posh talk soon got knocked out of me at Grammar School though :wacko:

• Upvote 1

I learned Australian in 79, they called it "Strine". My teacher was a fellow electrician who corrected me often, until I got the hang of it....LOL

• Like 2