• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The inventor of autocorrect has died. I didn't even know he was I'll.

Part of me wants to change the title of this thread to Apostrophe's.

Why are more than one house called Houses when more than one Mouse is called Mice,should more than one house be called Hice or should more than one Mouse be called Mouses? as soon as this rain stops I

Thanks for putting me straight. I'd never heard the word gotten( obviously haven't lived) until I had a penfriend and she always used it. Oh well you live and learn.

Americanism or not, in many instances of its usage, it's not necessary and neither is 'got'.

(Note my use of, and lack of use of, the apostrophe with the words spelled with the letters i, t and s.)

(Note also my use of 'spelled' rather than 'spelt' - which, to me, is a type of ancient wheat - and I strongly object to my spill chucker telling me I'm wrong in this.)

• Like 1

Many of the "shortened" words we use today, didn't exist just over 100 years ago, like "couldn't, can't" etc, even the movie makers making westerns now use the correct English of the day.

• Upvote 1

I know we are now straying away from the title subject but, a recent dreadful usage I have noticed recently in the British press and TV is the word 'pled' when what is actually meant is 'pleaded'.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jonab said:

I know we are now straying away from the title subject but, a recent dreadful usage I have noticed recently in the British press and TV is the word 'pled' when what is actually meant is 'pleaded'.

Alas, most people in this country have been seduced by Americanisms. I try to maintain my vigilance against it. I would rather resort to the middle English of Chaucer than follow their lead.

• Upvote 2
15 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Alas, most people in this country have been seduced by Americanisms. I try to maintain my vigilance against it. I would rather resort to the middle English of Chaucer than follow their lead.

Whan that  Aprille with his shoures shoote? Really - in Mansfield Market - c’m on! :(

I don't talk posh, do I?   Oh, I forgot .....you wouldn't know, would you Phil, as I've not seen you for nearly 66 years!   

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, carni said:

Not about to discuss religion, just the word 'Gotten'. I believe it is used a lot in the Bible. 

That's 'begotten' Carni...

9 minutes ago, MargieH said:

I don't talk posh, do I?   Oh, I forgot .....you wouldn't know, would you Phil, as I've not seen you for nearly 66 years!   

You’ve probably picked up the Lincolnshire/Fenland brogue. It’s quite similar round here in the indigenous agricultural communities. Can’t understand a bloody word they say! It’s all oo’s and arr’s. I unconsciously adjust my speaking to the people I’m with. I suppose that can be deemed to be condescending but I think you’ve got to be at ease with people and don’t come over as a pompous bastard (which has been said!)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, IAN123. said:

It is terrible here..Dove for dived.

....but we say 'drive' and 'drove'    Our English language has some strange rules, or rather the exceptions to those rules

e g. 'sit' and 'sat'  but not 'knit' and ' Knat'.     Fascinating stuff....

You will never see "pled" in our stateside media, but plead, which can be read as "pleed or pled" as in lead, as in dog lead and lead, as in lead the metal.

Again Dove as in dived, derives from the old English that American's kept. It was we Brits that changed "dove" to dived.

Ha, this reminds me of my topic on words with multiple meanings, but spelt (Or is it spelled) the same.

I recall we used to get picked on as posh in school if we pronounced our aitches, anyhow I must be posh these days, I pronounce my aitches.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Interesting subject Fly, it's also odd how easily we read a page and do it faultlessly when we see lead and lead etc.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

You’ve probably picked up the Lincolnshire/Fenland brogue. It’s quite similar round here in the indigenous agricultural communities. Can’t understand a bloody word they say! It’s all oo’s and arr’s. I unconsciously adjust my speaking to the people I’m with. 

In our village, there are some inhabitants who have lived here all their lives (and their fathers before them etc) and they do have a fenland accent, but there are probably more 'newcomers' now so we have 'southerners' several Scottish people, lots of South Africans and a few East Midlanders!   I reckon accents are getting more mixed as people move around the country a lot more now

Yes, they’re mainly townies in our village now. Most of the true rustics are very old and are a dying breed. We’re just a commuter village now with very few agricultural workers. Some people even commute from Newark to London daily. People have gardeners and cleaning ladies, floodlit houses and electric gates. I’m glad that we’ve still got a few acres to live the rural idyll but I doubt I can physically manage the upkeep for much longer. A nice man with a big John Deere came to cut the hedges last week. That’s one job I can’t do but I think we’re going to have to turn our wildlife meadow into a pony field this year as the old farmer who used to bale our hay has retired and large round bales are not easy for the average horse owner to manage. No problem in finding people who want grazing. We have a long queue!

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Whan that  Aprille with his shoures shoote? Really - in Mansfield Market - c’m on! :(

When last I was in Mansfield, I heard very little recognisable English. Mainly Eastern European languages.