Likewise in Beeston, plus of course a glut of the Oriental.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The inventor of autocorrect has died. I didn't even know he was I'll.

Part of me wants to change the title of this thread to Apostrophe's.

Why are more than one house called Houses when more than one Mouse is called Mice,should more than one house be called Hice or should more than one Mouse be called Mouses? as soon as this rain stops I

I don't think Woodthorpe was to blame for your accent, Phil..... not everyone from there spoke 'posh!'

I actually like hearing different English accents and also different languages, which I hear in this village and in Ely.... . I just love the diversity in England, and when I smile and try to communicate it just reminds me that we all  share the fears, worries, expectations and happiness common to the human race at various times of our lives.   I have Turkish, Latvian, Romanian, Spanish and Hungarian friends living locally and they enrich my life in so many ways...  

It's  not accents that should define who we are; it's what we say and what we mean that is important, in my opinion.   

• Like 1
1 hour ago, carni said:

And a few 'Gottens', about 30ish I think.?

Sorry Carni, I'd forgotten that the word was used in the Authorised Version of the Bible!   I tend to use the more modern versions...

• Like 1

The only elocution lessons I had were a swift clip round ear and told 'don't talk wi yer gob full'... :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, MargieH said:

In our village, there are some inhabitants who have lived here all their lives (and their fathers before them etc) 

Margie, the start of your post is exactly what you could say about Staithes  over half of the village is owned by 'outsiders'. That being the case the winter months are very quiet plus mobile phone and internet service is poor. Its nice when people come and settle but most find us to quiet and isolated.

Staithes, just a little south of Boulby Mine, where I spent just over four years of my life at when it first opened.

I lived at Loftus back then, one of my "haunts" was the Tiger Inn at top of Boulby Bank.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ayupmeducks said:

Staithes, just a little south of Boulby Mine, where I spent just over four years of my life at when it first opened.

I lived at Loftus back then, one of my "haunts" was the Tiger Inn at top of Boulby Bank.

We live on Cowbar Bank so it's on the way to Loftus not been inside for many years, mum and aunty prefer the Fox and Hounds. Staithes has lost a lot of its old world charm but it's called progress, sometimes it feels like them and us if you understand what I mean.