Bygone snacks, etc..

I was thinking about chocolate the other day and I had a flash of memory about a chocolate bar that was a similar size in length and width to a 'Picnic' but with about four or five blisters on the chocolate containing mallow.  I can't for the life of me recall the name of this bar but can say that it was around in the early 1960s and cost, I think, 6d.  Anyway, I thought I'd post a couple of pictures of bygone snacks to see if anyone else has fond memories of such things:

As a child I used to scrape off parts of the images on these biscuits to make comic alternatives before eating them :)  Anyone else do the same?

Sports biscuits:

34517377891_95ba78eac8_b.jpg

As far as my living memory goes back, this is the original Smiths crisp packet:

34517381101_c27c27d941_b.jpg

• Upvote 1

I was fond of Bar Six and Cadburys Snack. I remember those sports biscuits which are similar in appearance to malted milk biscuits which I also liked. They had a picture of a cow on them. Nothing, however, beats the caramel-coated shortbread from Woolworths biscuit counter!  :rolleyes:

The top picture is on a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle I have :)  1950s.

It was the latter.

No Fry's Five Boys either!

Re #1 - 2d for a packet of crisps must be going back a bit. Earliest I remember is of them being 4d. Then Golden Wonder came along in the 1960s and not only undercut them by selling at 3d but were ready-salted as well!

I've looked very hard in the pics above for a NUX Bar.. which was a sort of precursor to the Lion Bar.. I loved 'em,, but not seen for years.

Edit. A bit of Googling found this: 

Even got old Jim Dale in it.  Actor,, Pop star.. etc....  He's 81 you know...  Some people are getting really old.. ;)

Col

I love 'Crunchy" bars.  Still do.  I have not seen any here but Mrs. Loppy bought me a dozen via Amazon.   She's afraid to order any more now as the hot season is upon us and she is afraid they would melt in transit.  So looks like my Crunch days are over until next winter.

• Upvote 1

Golly Gosh Loppy!!  The one thing I would give away or swap from my Christmas 'Selection Box' was the Crunchie.  Just shows how tastes vary.

I used to love Peppermint Creams and Bluebird Toffees.  The ones which were covered in chocolate..  No wonder my teeth are shot...

Oops.  All this talk of sweets got me rumagging..  Just found a bag of Jelly Babies.. I'm afraid they are not long for this World..

Col

• Upvote 1

#14: Whilst living in Ethiopia I got a friend to send me a bar of Cadbury's milk chocolate.  I took 9 months to arrive (Presumably stuck in the post office in Addis Ababa for much of that time) so when it did finally arrive the heat had turned much of the chocolate white and crystalised.

Does anyone remember "Potato Puffs"? I used to love them as a kid.

• Upvote 1

My dad always used to take bread and dripping and bread and jam sandwiches in his snap tin for work at the local pit he always said it did not sweat and never went soggy.

I liked cheese and tomato and ham and pickle in my sandwiches and one day mum mixed them up UGH! said me and me dad.

That reminds me of a guy that I did my apprenticeship with who always complained that he got beetroot on his sandwiches every day. When the rest of the guys said why don't you get your mum to pack you something else, his reply had us peeing ourselves laughing, "I pack them myself"

• Upvote 1

I love bread and pork dripping. I can take it as bread or toast - I don't care which.  As an young apprentice dahn't pit, wi a kid an' wife at home, I couldn't afford proper sandwiches so bread and dripping was a regular with me.

• Upvote 1

Right - I've decided to have a piece of pork for dinner on Sunday.  That means bread and dripping for next week - yummy, scrummy!

• Upvote 1