Sad to read today that Peter Hindley (tank) is suffering from Dementia.............he was a great servant to Forest and a great full back......had the pleasure of knowing him slightly when i lived in Peterborough........he used to turn up at training for a team i played for down there in the 70s.......alot of the lads in the team used to take the mick at my accent which they thought was Yorkshire,.......and i used to play up to it........and told them Forest best centre forward was a Yorkshireman Wally Ardron from Rotherham............but Peter put me right ''no it was'nt'' he said ''it was my Dad''........forgot all about him,..........Peter Hindley all the best,a very nice bloke..............

• Upvote 2

Saw him play many times and was impressed by his style. Good solid defender who gave his all. Tragic that he is now having problems, I certainly wouldn't have recognised him from the 2015 picture of him at the City Ground.

So sad to hear of "Tank" being diagnosed with dementia.

Having had near relatives who suffered from dementia it is one of those insidious diseases that creep up on you.

My heart goes out to Sandra and the rest of his family as unfortunately you lose you loved ones twice during this journey.

Benjamin's post got me to thinking about the great Forest team of the 66/67 season so I did some "googling" and it tells me the following

Peter Grummitt - Had a newsagency in Bourne Lincolnshire and now lives in Newark

Peter Hindley -  Owned a painting and decorating business in Peterborough now sadly diagnosed with dementia

John Winfield - Ran a newsagents in the Victoria Centre before moving to Spain

Terry Hennessey - Emigrated to Australia in 1984, now lives near Melbourne

Bob McKinlay - Was a prison warder, left us in August 2002

Henry Newton - Became a sub-postmaster in Derby until retirement

Barry Lyons - Had several football managerial and coaching positions and now runs a pub in York

John Barnwell - Still involved in football

Joe Baker - Ran a pub in Scotland and became an after dinner speaker in the area died of a heart attack in October 2003

Frank Wignall - Now lives in Ruddington and owns a garage and car showroom

Ian Storey-Moore - Was a publican and owned a bookmakers in Nottingham and was chief scout at Aston Villa

• Upvote 1

A great team indeed OZ.................certainly the most exciting Forest side i ever saw,.........had the honor of meeting most of em.............even played with or against some...........

• Upvote 1

Looking at that team again,.........All British.......9 English,1 Scottish,1 Welsh.............bet we never see that again...........

• Upvote 2

Yes Ben, It was the best, most exciting and entertaining Forest team I ever saw.

Unfortunately I never saw the double European cup winning teams live. I had to watch via tv from afar so I cannot do a fair comparison.

One game that does stick in my mind was 28 October 1967. I was part of that almost 50,000 record crowd that saw forest beat Manchester United 3-1 The United team contained such greats as Bobby Charlton, George Best and Denis Law

Zigger Zagger scored 2 and big Frank 1

I still have the programme somewhere

• Upvote 2

Unfortunately missed that game,still recovering from just getting married.........blimey just dawned on me would have been 50 years this year,.......think i'll send her a card...........

So sad to hear of 'The Tank's' plight. Mr Reliable I always called him.   Wherever he was asked to play, he'd ALWAYS give his best. Much like Ian Bowyer was in later years. 

With a bit of luck, we could have won the 1st Division Championship that season !

• Upvote 2

Yes Fly............i remember him being played at centre forward on occasions in emergencies and never let em down............also when Forest were leaking goals at one time they adopted a twin centre half half role which he filled with Bobby Mckinlay to stop the rot........

I remember Tank and Winnie's overlapping runs down the wings. You don't see that much these days. Far too much triangular passing. You can be on the edge of your opponents penalty area and two passes later your goalkeeper has the ball. Also don't get me started on the prima donna namby pamby's who roll in agony at the slightest tap or the endless shirt pulling and pushing that happens at every corner kick or free kick that is bound for the penalty box.

• Upvote 1

Spot on OZ............Boring today .........thats why ive largely lost interest...............

Just read on Facebook that 'An Evening with Terry Hennessey' towards the end of the year is now going to be a fund-raising event for The Tank.  It will be held at 'Southbank City' or 'Saltbox' in November.

Old players in attendance will include Ian Storey Moore, Peter Grummitt, Sammy Chapman, Henry Newton, Barry Lyons, Frank Wignall, John Barnwell, Jeff Whitefoot and Terry Hennessy.  

It should be a good evening for the Forest fans who remember the days before Cloughie. 

• Upvote 2

LizzieM

I really wish I could get along to that event to see for one more time some of the players that gave me so much excitement and entertainment in the BC years. Alas a long way from here and very expensive. Someone put it on YouTube please.

Started going with my granddad in the late fifties and being passed to the wall on the East Stand side near the Kop and remembering Ivor Thirst swinging his rattle when Forest scored. As a teenager watching from the Trent End and then as I got a bit older from the 18 yard line towards the Trent End in the old East Stand.

A few old Forest songs mentioning the above players

To the tune of Those Were The Days by Mary Hopkin

Those were the days my friend when we'd go down Trent End.
Wed sing and dance for ever and a day.
We'd see Joe Baker score and Ian Storey Moore.
Those were the days oh yes those were the days

Can't remember the name of the tune

We all agree Grummitt is better than Yashin.
Joe Baker is better than Eusebio,
and (insert relevant team } are in for a thrashing

To the tune of Just Like Eddy by Heinz
Whenever you're sad, whenever you're blue
Whenever the Forest are playing
You're out of luck, you fight like fcuk
To keep the Trent End swaying

Troggs I can't control myself

" Ba Ba Ba Ba Ba Barry Lyons."

Small Faces Sh la la la lee

Terry Terry Hennessey

Who the f**ing hell is he

Feeling a bit down now, would love to be able to go and say a personal thank you to many that have given me great memories that are still vivid 50-60 years later and will be with me forever.

• Upvote 3

Beat me to it OZ with those songs..............what about ''Winfield for England''   tee hee'

We'll set up a 'Crowd Funding' thread for you Oztalgian, but November isn't the best time of year to visit Nottingham, especially when it's Spring in Oz.  Having said that though, May isn't too good either this year! 

• Upvote 1

Thanks Lizzie I'd be there in a flash.

It would bring back memories of queueing for Bovril at half time on a cold November afternoon on the terraces at the City Ground. Only the rich had seats in those days.

Going back to see Forest, County and the Stags one more time is on my bucket list of simple things to do on what is likely to be a final visit home.

Others are :-

Going to the Goose Fair

Watching a Match at Trent Bridge

Fishing in the Trent

A pint or two of local beers Shippos, Kimberley? Mansfield, I guess Home Beers are long gone.

Lots of micro breweries in the UK now. A friend of my runs one called "The Blue Monkey Brewery". He's got three "Organ Grinder" pubs and the Waggon at Bleasby. He's been going for just a few years and is doing very well. The beer's made from tapwater on an industrial estate at Giltbrook. His beers have won lots of prizes though. I've been round the original Shipstones and Home Brewery back in the 60's - they were proper traditional breweries - not the stainless steel equipped, shiny chemical factories of the modern ones. It was said that as the Home Brewery and Daybrook Laundry were on opposite sides of Mansfield Road and were both owned by the same family, the dirty washing water was pumped under the road to make the beer. There's no proof of this though!

• Upvote 1

Forest songs/chants I remember:

She'll be wearing red and white when she comes

She'll be wearing red and white when she comes

She'll be wearing red and white, wearing red and white etc, etc

Singing aye-aye Ian Storey-Moore

Aye-aye Ian Storey-Moore

etc etc

Zigger-zagger, zigger-zagger

Joe Ba-ker!

• Upvote 2