Hi Everybody!

i'm an Architecture student at the University of Nottingham, and I am about to embark on a project to redevelop the highfields paddling pool, while also adding an outdoor swimming pool, to create the UK's only existing lido. (apparantly the last one was also in Nottingham, but closed down in 2004)

I was wondering if anybody knew when the current wreck of a pool was opened, when it closed and why?

I much appreaciate the help! ta!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ment to say this was one reason we never went to thelidos when every one else did when we were going out together as even if his mum was not on that pool that day someone would always tell her what we

Bump Just happened on this ,the opening of Highfields Lido in 1924 , though Pathe News don't know the location of it . http://www.britishpathe.com/video/mr-john-burns/query/nottingham Look at all t

my older sisters were saying the other day that they were taught swimming at school at calverton lido in all weathers somtimes had to break the ice

Posted Images

;) I remember the Highfields lido i even paddled in it when i was a youngster. Many Many years back... If i'm not mistaken part of it is still their.

Some time ago there were plans to Build an Hotel on that spot.

Also paddled there several times in the 50's.....

Cut feet from broken glass, in and around the pool, seemed to be a regular event.

Surprised the OP states there are no more lido's nationwide.

Reckon I know of 3...admittedly 2 of which are topped up by the sea.

Presumably Bulwell (later 'Eddie Marshall'?) lido was the 2004 closure.

IIRC, renamed in deference to the large 'Marshall's' transport company which was sited over the road for many years?

Alan Snape will know....

Cheers

Robt P.

Archieboy, I think you are the wrong end of 'University Blvd' the picture shows the dried up pond at the Beeston end of the park, the actual Lido was where the new science park is at the Dunkirk end, just to the right of the traffic lights as you are approaching town. I too remember going there as a kid, my parents would take me from Clifton, 2 bus rides, I thought I had gone miles!

Lakes still there Mick - Its massive, you can't miss it, By the way I just had to re-confirm my password, can you say why please Mick, maybe summat wrong with my PC!

Would be interested in seeing any old maps?

In 1984 there was a serious accident at that location, when a mobile crane toppled over. I think it was fatal?

Password? beats me Pembo?

The image is the old paddling pool at the Beeston end of University Boulevard. There used to be some sort of archery club on there as well. The Lido was up the other end but I assumed from Archiboys' posting that the idea was to develop the paddling pool site and add a Lido to the same area. Good luck rith the project, I hope it succeeds.

A lips0

"....Surprised the OP states there are no more lido's nationwide.

Reckon I know of 3...admittedly 2 of which are topped up by the sea...."

"...Nope, there are no more lido's in the UK! and the hotel idea was actually put forward by the university..."

http://www.prstubbs.btinternet.co.uk/lidos.htm

http://www.thelido.co.uk/

http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/Home/Leisurea...tingBecLido.htm

http://www.sandfordparkslido.org.uk/

http://www.ilkley.yorks.com/ilkley-pool.html

Cheers

Robt P.

;) I see we have a conflect of opinions what constitutes as paddling pool and a lido. ;) I agree with pem, the lido was at Dunkurk end of university boulivard and the paddling pool was at beeston end of the said boulivard.

If it stops raining today i will take a five minute ride in me motor and take some pics of the remains of the Paddling pool if i can find any..... In the meantime here is a pic of the lido as i us to remember it....

highfields_lido_sm.jpg

PICT4781.jpg

The picture above which archi posted is the old paddling pool, that will save me a journey in the rain...

"....I agree with pem, the lido was at Dunkurk end of university boulivard and the paddling pool was at beeston end of the said boulivard....."

I'd agree with that too....

Cheers

Robt P.

The problem is not that the Lido was up the other end or on the moon, it is how you are interpreting the original posting. The Lido was at the other end of the Boulevard but is now no more. The paddling pool has always been situated at the Beeston end of the Boulevard and is now not in use.

As I see it, Archiboy is to add the Lido to the paddling pool and develop it from there, not to open the original Lido again as this would be impossible.

Hope this is a bit clearer and I don't get so up tight again. I will keep taking the pills and see what transpires...

A lips0

;) Well that's good, we are all in agreement then with which end the paddling pool and lido were......We just have to convince mick that the boating lake is still their.. !rotfl!

wow i didnt realise that there was a lido at the other end of the park! I didn't mean to say the lido was the paddling pool, I am going to create a Lido there, by adding a changing facility and an outdoor pool. (Or UI was untill the tutors had a better idea!) Now im just concentrating on the paddling pool. By the way, when the new tram line goes in there's going top be a stop just on the opposite side of University Boulvard...

You speak for yourself, Rob/ I still enjoy dipping my toes in the water, the only thing I find it hard to get away with is tucking my skirts in the legs of my under garments. I tend to get stared at on the Boulevard.

A lips0

I seem to remember an isue of health and safety - the nanny state and dog poo being major reasons why the paddling pool had to be done away with.

Same goes for the one on the embankment - all I remember of that one was that it was square and impossible to stand up in due to the algae on the bottom - fell over many times - but all you medders lads would know more about that than me.

Ah Bulwell lido many happy memories - especially of the fountain at the end and jumping off the 25ft board - how come it was never dangerous in those days yet it had to go - nanny state yet again. Problem with Bulwell Lido in recent years was that they would only open it and staff it during the school hols and missed out on hot days when they could have really made it pay. They depended on finding students during uni hols to provide the staff and they had to have unachievable (for them) qualifications. Every time it was a red hot day you could bet that it would be closed.

In 2004 after they had closed it they got Tubitt to place scaffolding boards all over it - but these have been removed now so its slowly filling up with rainwater and rubbish.

No mention of Carrington and Papplewick Lido's?

Hi … I run the Lenton Times website and thought I’d put my penny’s worth in.

For more information about Highfields paddling pool than you can shake a stick at, check out our webpage on the Tottle Brook - www.lentontimes.co.uk/streets/tottle_brook.htm.

For more photos of Highfields Lido – see www.lentontimes.co.uk/streets/highfields_park.htm

And for the history of Highfields Lido – including the reason it was closed (British Summer’s anyone??), see www.lentontimes.co.uk/images/gallery/highfields_park/highfields_park_listener_18.htm

tottle_brook_2005_15.jpg

Hiya,

There are currently 120 Lido's stilll open in the uk (plus 2 that are for residents only). :D

The website that this is taken from is:-

www.lidos.org.uk

Only know this cos im on another forum and we were discussing lidos open and closed. ;)

Im Sal btw, and from the wonderful, glorious, place of Shirebrook. aaaaaaaaaaaaargh! How could I actually admit to that. hahaha!

:) Sal

• 3 months later...
Hi Everybody!

i'm an Architecture student at the University of Nottingham, and I am about to embark on a project to redevelop the highfields paddling pool, while also adding an outdoor swimming pool, to create the UK's only existing lido. (apparantly the last one was also in Nottingham, but closed down in 2004)

Does anyone know about the progress of this project? This is the same Highfields Park that our get together will be, right??

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Highfields - Lido and park