I love looking at old adverts it's always nice to see how much things cost

The above car £270 about 6 months wages then ?

As some of you know I collect directories & going back 150 years or more the adverts  can be a real eye opener

1.      Probably shows that things really haven't changed that much.  A good new car is probably still about six months wages or more for many folks.

What I like about the ads is that they are not full of hype.  Just a clear statement about the sellers name and what they are selling.

They reckon average wage today is £500 pw,so about right Loppy..............as for Ads i don't know what half of em on TV are selling...............

My great uncle Gilbert Nathaniel Hudson born in 1904 had a Singer 9 which he garaged at The Crown Inn, Beeston. He lived in Cyprus Avenue at the time. He was the East Midlands/East Coast rep and engineer for Hotpoint and travelled all over those areas, often taking my father with him in the early 30s when the latter should have been at school! As a wedding present in 1949, he gave my parents a Hotpoint iron. It weighed a ton and my mother was still using it when they had their golden wedding! Made to last in those days!

• Upvote 1

In my later days with Marsdens/Farrands got involved with advertising in local papers..........Long Eaton Advertiser,Coalville Times,Bulwell Dispatch and the like and when they got taken over by Moores stores,in the north east my area was vastly expanded.

Always enjoyed travel,and when i left to join the VG stores set up, my traveling extended to a large part of the country,and our main office was in Sackville street London,.......and really enjoyed being part of their advertising campaigns,they even went on TV for a while,and we used to sell the idea to the retailers who were all independent..........the thrill of the open road and new places/people still has'nt left me and at 72 i'm currently angleing for a similar role.......ahh who knows might get there.........sorry for waxing again blame Jill's uncle Gilbert...........lol.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

The last shop (with bright white blinds) before the housing starts.  https://goo.gl/maps/EbF3rX3EK532

Must have vanished long before my arrival on the planet. Pianos tend to outlast humans but I have never seen a tuners label inside an old piano or any mention of them even as dealers so I must assume that they were not that significant.

Great uncle Gilbert had an eye for the ladies, too, our Ben! He lived to be almost 100. Apparently, like most of the Hudson family, he had a temper and could be argumentative but I got on with him famously! I often wonder what he got up to on his travels for Hotpoint when not accompanied by my father! :wacko:

• Upvote 1

Bet he could tell a tale Jill,...........being away from home somehow sets you free to be/do things a bit different,...........my grandad (Ben) born 1900 MAY 18TH,......sailed the seven seas.......but never said much about em........wish he had..........lovely man..........

• Upvote 1