A lot of my memories are connected to tune or two, If I hear "Night boat to Cairo," by Madness I'm immediately dancing a conga round the town square in Blankenburge, Belgium, on my way to the Beer festival in Wiese. Ebony and Ivory or Golden Brown , and I'm in the Nags Head on Carlton Hill singing along with my mates. I can't go for that (No can do) (Hall and Oates) and I'm in the white Hart at Daybrooke with a certain young lady. And last but no where near the least , Ravels Balero and I'm with SWMBO in my bedroom in Nott'm!!!!!!!!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The cars always fascinated me.  I was only maybe 12-14 years old at the time and knew little about the engineering side of it, but the cars mostly just looked so mean.  We went from a Buxton camping t

And this of course the words whispered in the lady's ear.   How could I resist the aroma of your perfume.................

We were regulars down at Long Eaton in the mid Sixties and remember the musical interludes, and "Death of a Clown" does bring back memories of those nights, especially during a dry weather spell when

What a pity this thread went to sleep.

Many songs from the '60's and '70's set me off dreaming. They aren't all good ones and certainly many are not to my present taste but they bring back old events as clearly as if I was watching a movie for a few seconds. One is 'I'm Telling You Now'. What a joke that band was but it reminds me of a day I spent with some friends in Matlock Bath. I don't remember how we got there but I do recall that we intended to walk up to Abraham's Heights. After a few minutes the girls were whinging and the pubs were open so we walked back down. I was into a few pints when Freddie and the Dreamers came on the juke box.

I have only been inside the Palais once in my life, a young conservative dance. All I remember from it was Judy in Disguise playing and the dance floor filling, to dance to it.

Another song to put me in a certain place was It Might As Well Rain Until September, being played on 2-way Family Favourites on a Sunday morning. The smell of the Sunday roast cooking.

mick2me's previous post has just reminded me of this............

Can't say I've really got any musical memories connected with Nottingham even though I've been around a long time. But there is one song which brings back memories from just down the road.

When I hear this I'm back in 1967-69 going with my dad to Long Eaton Stadium to the Stock Car racing. This was always being played over the PA between races and God knows how many times I heard it over the roar of engines, shouts from the crowds, and all the other noises. I can't listen to this song without thinking of standing on a grass bank on a Saturday evening watching the battered Humbers and Fords and Triumphs (all with highly tweaked V8-type engines) hurtling around the Station Road track

Well so did I , but I had to go back again the following September............................rotfl.gif

Thanks Cliff

The Bomber car racing reminds me of going down with an early girlfriend, Helen from Nuthall,

Also takes me back to walking along the side of the Trent near Attenborough with the same girl,

with the following [laying on the tranny...

It was 1970...Yes again its the Kinks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixqbc7X2NQY

Takes me back to Building the new Nottingham Cooperative Society
Sausage Production Unit 'SPU' Ascot Drive, Long Eaton.

The Nottingham coop had just taken over the Boston Coop,
and Boston Sausage was in big demand localy.

SPU is now 'Cyrils Nut Hutch' Childrens Play Centre!"
  • 8 months later...

When ever i hear Wings - Silly Love Songs i think I'm on the speedway fairground ride on Bilborough park.

Scream if you wanna go faster.

Open your knees feel the breeze.

Just been down Wigman Road and the fairs on Bilborough park / Harvey hadden !

Guess what I'm now playing ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK9QVN0bpa4

radfordred, thanks for posting ruby and the romantics, you are right it is a great song, brings back a lot of memories.later that year i got dumped, and the big song was andy williams cant get used to losing you, another good song, which seemed to fit.gord(the dude from niagara)

Our Day Will Come and Can't Get Used To Losing You remind me of The Locarno "slow dances" 1962/3, Anything by Freddie and The Dreamers and I think of a stupid dance that made people look like hens at feeding time! And Dance With The Devil reminds me of Jimi Hendrix,

I was driving home the other day and "Catch me if you can" by "The Dave Clarke 5" came on the radio, I was immediately transported back to The Waltzer at "Goose Fair" in around 1965.

• Upvote 1

Stuck in a traffic jam on our trip to London & We gotta get out of this place came on the radio , So made a right turn & got chased by the guards at Buckingham palace somehow we ended up in their barracks

• 4 weeks later...

Your'e so square, Buddy Holly, He's a rebel,the Crystals,I can't help myself,Four Tops,Like a rolling stone Bob Dylan,Ican't explain,the Who.There's

a few flashbacks in time. Golden sands caravan site,must have met at the club house Mick, as early teenagers rockin'n rollin'

radfordred, thanks for posting ruby and the romantics, you are right it is a great song, brings back a lot of memories.later that year i got dumped, and the big song was andy williams cant get used to losing you, another good song, which seemed to fit.gord(the dude from niagara)

Anyone thats been dumped, heres a nice cheerful ditty !!!!

• 3 years later...

Bump

Music and Songs can bring back so many memories for me. There are so many that can make me sad or happy depending on what was happening in my life at the time the songs were released.

These two songs always make me laugh when ever I hear them. I can picture sueB48 and her sister and myself and my sister, all jumping around and dancing in sue's bedroom in 1960. Sue and I would have been around 12yrs old and our sisters a year or so older.

Rocking Goose by Johnny and The Hurricanes and Lets Jump The Broomstick by Brenda Lee.

It was a sight to see. You have never seen dancing like it, I promise! Crazy!

• Upvote 5