• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The cars always fascinated me.  I was only maybe 12-14 years old at the time and knew little about the engineering side of it, but the cars mostly just looked so mean.  We went from a Buxton camping t

And this of course the words whispered in the lady's ear.   How could I resist the aroma of your perfume.................

We were regulars down at Long Eaton in the mid Sixties and remember the musical interludes, and "Death of a Clown" does bring back memories of those nights, especially during a dry weather spell when

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

From the 60's

Cathy's Clown - Everly Brothers - A caravan holiday at "Jinglebells", Ingoldmells in 1960

Wonderful Land - The Shadows - A café in Strasbourg 1964, the smell of freshly ground coffee and Gitanes French cigarettes

Mr. Tambourine Man - The Byrds - Doing a British Canoe Federation coaching course at the swimming pool at Dukeries Comprehensive school and in the Trent at Averham in late 1965, bl**dy freezing in the river but the pool was nice and warm.

Whiter Shade of Pale - Procol Harum - 1967 Playing the pinball machine in the back room of the Queens Head in Mansfield (alas now long gone)

Oztalgian, I was on a caravan holiday at Ingoldmells in 1960 and remember Cathy's Clown, too! It's still one of my favourite songs....

• 4 months later...

There are many songs released that were heard simply everywhere,

A listen many years later reminds you of the where & when's at the original time of release.

'Bird of Paradise' by Snowy White- takes me right back to my time at Gerrards in Basford,this was late '83~'84 I had just hooked up with a 19 year old fine thing from Bestwood; after a shift on the soap- I literally ran to the Scotholme for a pint to wash that prison green bar soap away!

There wasn't a bus to Bestwood Est.so a drink in every public house prior to Leybourne was often on the cards.

Jukeboxes and radio stations played this to death,but it still plays a large part in my life soundtrack.

Anyone else got a song that instantly transports you to a time & place?

Bird of Paradise was playing on Coronation St tonight as two of the local gay boys were passionately kissing.

It quite put me off a beautiful song.

There's already a topic on this subject.

It happens a lot, don't worry, it's tricky if you don't know the actual words of the topic to research it.

There's already a topic on this subject. It happens a lot, don't worry, it's tricky if you don't know the actual words of the topic to research it.

It's not just that.......the Search feature on this forum is often spectacularly useless. Putting a particular word in the Search box doesn't mean the results will come up with that word.

"Search" should actually be renamed Random Thread Generator. It still never fails to amaze me at the results it comes up with.

• Upvote 4

1972,a ball of confusion indeed- did my 11 plus - Harlem Globetrotters seemed prominent- bound for The Becket School.

In between Pripsin & porridge and Alistair Cooke a snatch of this song took me to another place.

Pocket the bus fare to Plowright Street and call at Jocks on Hunto, 'You're So Vain' by Carly Simon that song and a box of imps got me many a morning to Augustine hell!

Clouds in my Coffee and Nova Scotian eclipses,got me going Anyroad!!

Round about this time an ex- Motown girl in a set of dungarees and a Watford fan teamed up and won chart domination.

This time August 1976, i was at Devils Bridge and exploring my Dad's old RAF base.

'Blinded By The Light' blasted from my Binatone and I simply loved it,didn't have a clue that Bruce Springsteen penned this or he earned his stripes playing in a pick- up band for Chuck Berry- the weather was hot..very hot and this song accompanied the welsh backdrop of Vale of Rheidol.

Manfred Mann upset certain folk in Southern states,all down to a tape head positioned at an angle...the lyric "deuce" sounded to the bible belt as "douche"...and the USA side of Bronze label told him to re- record it!!

He did and it lost that magic touch,so he stood his ground and released the song as we know it today.

" Indians In The Summer, With A Teenage Diplomat"

Did it for me on a cliff walk to Borth!!

How long have you got?

Everly's 'All I Have To Do Is Dream' always reminds me of Sunday lunch time on Southglade Road on Bestwood Estate in the late 50s when every house you passed had the back door/windows open and the smell of a Sunday roast drifting out along with music from 'Two Way Family Favourites'.

Tommy Roe 'Sheila' and Bruce Channel 'Hey Baby', were both heard sung by other lads on the stairs in High Pavement. I've never quite got what made the stairs between lessons such a fertile ground for adolescent singers. But 'Hey!'

Donovan's 'Colours' always reminds me of the top end of Bulwell Common, opposite the station, because I sang it constantly to myself as I walked across there in evenings that Summer.

Del Shannon's 'Runaway' came on the radio in the cafeteria in the Science Museum in London whilst I was on a school trip.

Beatle's 'All You Need is Love' has me lighting a cheap cig. 'Sovereign'? While hitch-hiking south.

Marvin Gaye 'Grapevine' is always a very warm early evening at the 360 Club, Bulwell, before the 'mob' arrived.

Several songs put me firmly into the 'big bar' at the Five Ways on Valley Road, Sherwood around '66. 'My Ship is Comin' In (Walker Bros), 'I've Got You Under My Skin', ( Four Seasons) and others.

'Ride a White Swan' (T-Rex) and Lola ( Kinks) saw me in the Grosvenor Mansfield Rd, eating their once famous Steak Sandwiches.

I could go on forever.. but you wouldn't like it. ;)

Col

Just heard Paul Carrack singing a song called (I think) 'Sweet Soul Legacy' on BBC R2.

Fab!, and it sort of sums me up. It doesn't seem to be on Youtube yet, but this clip from the Beeb. http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/playlist

has it. Scroll down a bit.

Actually it's here. in preview form.

Col

It Might as Well Rain Until September reminds me of Two Way Family Favourites, it was on almost every week, that song.

• Upvote 1

I got a job painting a three storey house on Noel Street,that bleddy ladder was heavy- pull the rope and it expanded 30ft.

I was broke so the £150 offer from this Polish geezer was welcome indeed.

He grafted at Brough Superior and his Irish wife was a flunky at posh houses,Their only son had a big HiFi and I positioned the speakers against the open windows. I'd stick on an album,The Groundhogs or Caravan; but one song/single sticks out by a country mile during this summer of 1978.

'Dancing In The City' by duo Marshall Hain struck a chord whilst

Blowlamping and filling tired sashes.

When I got the loot i purchased a pair of Major Domo boots from Bulwell market- armed with the change I headed to my mate who lived on The Downs in Silverdale/after some "Quark Strangeness and Charm" we visited the off- license on the bottom of Southchurch Dr.

20 Dunhills and a pint bottle of Johnnie Walker red label.

We supped the lot in John Russell's Hillman Imp and meandered to the CBI,"Alleys that we've run through/only just begun to- have fun tonight".

It's probably a guilty pleasure song nowadays- but takes me back to a carefree spell.