• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The cars always fascinated me.  I was only maybe 12-14 years old at the time and knew little about the engineering side of it, but the cars mostly just looked so mean.  We went from a Buxton camping t

And this of course the words whispered in the lady's ear.   How could I resist the aroma of your perfume.................

We were regulars down at Long Eaton in the mid Sixties and remember the musical interludes, and "Death of a Clown" does bring back memories of those nights, especially during a dry weather spell when

• 1 month later...

Boston.

More Than A Feeling,I'm guessing '76- takes me back to a very serious girl.

Met her at the religious retreat centre in Ambergate, Crich.It was a week off school- we did Rhyber Castle etc..

My Mum bought me  a Bush cassette player,this song echoed those times- her family were very well to do and were moving to Kirby Bellars.

Thyphoo tea,abbey crunch biscuits and a battered Transit- all against a backdrop of one song..Schultz was and is a top guitarist.

Back in 63 when I met my late wife "Then He Kissed Me"  was on the charts.  I think it was by the Crystals.  The thing was that it described our experience almost to a T.  Sometimes it would come up and we'd get a smile over it.  Made us feel warm and fuzzy.

Anyway in 1990 we got our second dog.  He was a Colly / Husky cross.  We called him Sam.  He was a beautiful dog but we think he had some Wolf in him.  As a pup he was quite happy to nip you.  So our song got changed to "Then He Bit Me."  Crazy happy days.

• Upvote 3

When I first met the master every pub we went in seemed to be play Da Do Ron Ron and of cause his name is Ron.

When we married in 1965 where ever we went  pubs/ transistor radio/ six five special / or maybe Top of the Pops.

always seemed to have "The Wedding Song" by Kathy Kirby we could never get away from it, maybe I should have had it played at our wedding.

• Upvote 3

Hi Oztalgian  Just found out The Wedding Song was by Julie Rogers recorded in 1964.

OK you've figured that a song ' clicks'with me and puts me in a certain place at a certain time

This song puts me in a place I never wanted to be in...or ever again!!

The School Dentist on Clarendon St.A cruel ( woman?) who probably got the boot from Riga for being too rough!

This Eastern European with a white smock and a hair bun-made little mo look like Mother Theresa.

The shrill of that ancient drill powered by the pumping of her left foot!

Thumbing thru' dog eared editions of Buster or Beezer and the japes of Colonel Blink did little to distract me from impending doom. Jimmy Young waffling on the wireless and playing ' Oh Babe What Would You Say'.

Hurricane Smith and Dentistry- forever forged in my memory.

Norman Smith produced Pink Floyd's first LP.

• 8 months later...

For those of us that sometimes moan about word games etc,.....thought it might make the 'song association' one a bit more interesting by being followed on a different thread by a memory of that particular song..........i'm sure we all have nostalgic memories of many songs.............'Hello' for instance reminded me of taking Donna to meet my family for the first time,at a get together in the 80s.............and as a certain Uncle passed us on the Dance floor 'Hello'' was playing......and he repeated it to her each time.................just a thought......

• Upvote 2

Got to get you into my life...Cliff Bennett and the rebel rousers

Reminds me of the first time I went to the sherwood rooms,

The group were playing there.

I was having a great time until...my older sister spotted me,she had gone there with her boyfriend . I knew I was in for it cos when we got home she told mam.

( I was under age to be in such a place snogging lads)

I couldn't weedle my way out of that one.

• Upvote 2

Just for info........the thread which Benjamin started has suddenly become very long because I've merged it with one started by Katyjay many moons ago which was on the same subject.

Carry on.

• Upvote 2

And now I'll add my own contribution.  In the late 1960s I often used to go with my dad to watch Stock Car Racing at Long Eaton stadium. Before the racing started, and in between races, they played records over the tannoy system. The one I always remember hearing there is 'Death of a Clown' by Dave Davies, and whenever I hear that song I'm back at LE Stadium.

• Like 1

Cliff Ton

That song reminds me of the opposition fans at the Stags singing "Let's all drink to the death of Mansfield Town" every time the Stags were in danger of relegation, which was all too often.

• 2 weeks later...

Whiter shade of Pale'..................great great memories of late 60s.............Palais,Sherwood Rooms,99 Club,Whistle Stop,Babels,.......lots of close dancing........girls in Mini's and high heeled thigh boots...........us blokes in Willerby suits purchased on their credit cards,and later told to cut up and don't dare use again..........'bali-hi' revolving dance floor..........''dance duck ?''............sod off''..............ok perhaps later then...........lol.

• Upvote 2
  • 9 months later...

That song took me straight back to the late 60s, Devonshire Arms at Hartington folk club, every Wednesday night. The lady on my lap, that was before she threw the engagement back at me.

Saw Ewan Maccoll there one summers night, he had popped in for a beer and heard the singing, his rendition of The Shoals of Herring brought the house down.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

This memory amuses us. The song is Paul Simon: Duncan. The words: Couple in the next room bound to win a prize ........

We had a cabin on the overnight ferry from Shetland. Our son was very young at the time and sound asleep in the bed next to the wall.  The couple in the next room ..........The noise was loud! I was ready for the questions if he woke up. My story would have been "I think someone is feeling unwell. Don't worry about it". He did not wake up. Years later I told him the story and now we all have a laugh when we hear Duncan! Also now when I hear Pentecost mentioned I think of Duncan!

Paul Simon is brilliant. Saw the Graceland concert at the NEC. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't think I've ever met anyone with only one taste in music. I'm certain most on here like a good variety of genres.

Pilot made a couple of good pop songs. It's Kajunus btw.

On 3/28/2018 at 4:04 PM, NewBasfordlad said:

That song took me straight back to the late 60s, Devonshire Arms at Hartington folk club, every Wednesday night. The lady on my lap, that was before she threw the engagement back at me.

Saw Ewan Maccoll there one summers night, he had popped in for a beer and heard the singing, his rendition of The Shoals of Herring brought the house down.

Well old Ewan wrote it.. so he ought to have done a decent version.  :)

I like that and many of Ewan's other songs.. They remind me of being in the house with Mum and hearing the 'Radio Ballads' which McColl produced and broadcast around 1960.  McColl was a fine singer, but I believe he was also known as something of a 'Folk Fascist'.. having very rigid views on what ought to be seen as 'traditional' folk.

However, whenever I hear 'The Shoals of Herring' now.. I'm reminded of a scene in the TV series 'Flambards', which was set during WW1.  At a 'Harvest Supper', the family entertain a German P.O.W. who is detailed to work at the farm. During the festivities, they sing 'The Shoals of Herring'.. 40+ years before it was composed..  Ooops!  :wacko:

We used to go to the folk clubs back in the 60/70’s. The Rutland Arms at Newark, the Wheatsheaf at Cropwell, and the Reindeer at Southwell. Never had the balls to get up and sing myself although I could play folk guitar back then but only for my own enjoyment! Had some great times and much ale was consumed! ;)

• Like 2
On 5/25/2017 at 3:24 PM, Cliff Ton said:

And now I'll add my own contribution.  In the late 1960s I often used to go with my dad to watch Stock Car Racing at Long Eaton stadium. Before the racing started, and in between races, they played records over the tannoy system. The one I always remember hearing there is 'Death of a Clown' by Dave Davies, and whenever I hear that song I'm back at LE Stadium.

Drifting a bit off topic here Kev, but I used to go to Long Eaton regularly.  More early than late 60s though.  We used to cycle down the boulevards from Bestwood Est. and arrive early.  We'd sit outside waiting for the gates to open and eating our butties.  We also went to Belle Vue odd times. It was quite 'do able' by bus from Buxton when we were camping there. Also went to Brafield in Northants.. and Brandon in Coventry, which I believe are both still active venues.

Couple of names I recall.  Albert 'Tiger' Griffin and Ellis Ford.  

This is interesting: https://www.oldstox.com/SeniorsF1sintheSixties.htm

Babyface by Little Richard and Mona Lisa by Conway Twitty always remind me of my Saturday evening visits to Long Eaton in 1959/60. Transport courtesy of Barton from Nottingham.

Before the racing started they ran a single-car-fastest-lap run-what-you-brung competition which was always won by a little  Goggomobile.

• Like 1

The Goggomobile brought back a funny memory.  When I was dating my first wife.  Somebody on their street had one.  One day I said to her.  That's a Goggomobile She was sure I was winding her up and just had to go over to look at the nameplate.  I'll never forget the look on her face when she saw I was telling the truth.  :biggrin: