6 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Drifting a bit off topic here Kev, but I used to go to Long Eaton regularly.  More early than late 60s though. 

There's an old thread which started about LE Speedway, and moved on to Stock Cars.....  https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/1302-archers-long-eaton-stadium/

• Like 1
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The cars always fascinated me.  I was only maybe 12-14 years old at the time and knew little about the engineering side of it, but the cars mostly just looked so mean.  We went from a Buxton camping t

And this of course the words whispered in the lady's ear.   How could I resist the aroma of your perfume.................

We were regulars down at Long Eaton in the mid Sixties and remember the musical interludes, and "Death of a Clown" does bring back memories of those nights, especially during a dry weather spell when

4 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

Babyface by Little Richard and Mona Lisa by Conway Twitty always remind me of my Saturday evening visits to Long Eaton in 1959/60. Transport courtesy of Barton from Nottingham.

Before the racing started they ran a single-car-fastest-lap run-what-you-brung competition which was always won by a little  Goggomobile.

I remember that competition when I was a regular there.  There was a chap who turned up every week with a big old Allard with an impossibly long bonnet.  Maybe a P1 or P2. He never did very well. The thing was just too long.

Oddly, I don't remember music at all. 

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

There's an old thread which started about LE Speedway, and moved on to Stock Cars.....  https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/1302-archers-long-eaton-stadium/

Nev Hughes.. another name I recall. now you mention it.  ;)

The car I most remember at LE is an old Austin A70 known as Mr Onion. He drove with a big plastic onion on the roof and was quite successful. No idea who the driver was.

We were regulars down at Long Eaton in the mid Sixties and remember the musical interludes, and "Death of a Clown" does bring back memories of those nights, especially during a dry weather spell when we would emerge from the stadium covered in red dust!

Nev Hughes, number 69, was our local hero and had his garage in Lady Bay. I believe that when we started going to LE he was World Champion gold roof with his car based on a Fiat Topolino rear end driven by a huge American power plant, could have been a 425 (?) Cubic inch Buick. We did try to sell him a 1947 three and a half litre Jag which we had, but he declined, it being a little too tame for his needs!

• Like 3

The cars always fascinated me.  I was only maybe 12-14 years old at the time and knew little about the engineering side of it, but the cars mostly just looked so mean.  We went from a Buxton camping trip to Belle Vue one Saturday and as I recall it was the first meeting of a new season.  Also, I was told that the max weight of the cars had been reduced or somesuch so that many had to have new, or rebuilt cars.  Albert 'Tiger' Griffin was there with his new machine:

GriffinCar.jpg

As I recall it was blue white and yellow with the tiger painted on the side.  Had something like a 7.2/7.4 litre V8 motor, but Albert , instead of having eight fiery 'stubs' sticking out of his bonnet, had them 'siamesed' into some sort of flexible metal piping, which can be seen on the photo.  the result was that while most of the cars popped, crackled and spat.. his howled like a banshee.  Most impressive to a young lad like me.

Many of the drivers had big V8 engines from Chevrolet or Oldsmobile I think, also quite a few Mercury as I recall.. but it's all very foggy now.  Was a long time ago. 

We knew nothing much about who was who and It's news to me that Nev Hughes was local.

One night we heard on the Public Address System that there were two spare seats in a minibus going to the World Championship for not much money. I think that was at Brandon in Coventry, but might also have been at Brafield, or even Hednesford Hills. A bit of research shows that Hednesford was fully opened for 'Stocks' in 1963 and I know we went there at least once so that sort of dates our time as 'Stock Car' fans  We dashed over to enquire and they agreed to take us.  This was myself and Nige Marlow from the veg shop on Andover Road Bestwood Est.  We were only school lads and everybody else in the bus was much older, probably late teens to mid 20s. I think we had to get to somewhere in Long Eaton for the pick up. I think Nige's dad took us and then picked us up when we got back.  He wasn't much impressed by how late we were...

Brafield is in Northants and It's coming back to me slowly.  We cycled there once.  I've just checked and it was 70+ miles. Quite a way for young lads on  less than state of the art bikes.  However, we were so late getting out of there that Nige was in a mad panic, as we were going to be very late home.. again... Nige discovered somehow, that there was a train from Kettering to Nottm.. if we could get to Kettering in time...  We rode like lunatics to Kettering and got the train... 

Happy days..  :)

Col

• Like 4

And a slap was accepted    was going to say compulsary but could'nt spell it........lol

• Like 1

Another great NBL.....................It started with a kiss...........and ended also with a kiss.........lol

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Haven't heard that song (Butterfly) for about 60 years so why does it sound so familiar?  My mind's playing tricks with time again!

• Like 1
On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:36 PM, MargieH said:

Haven't heard that song (Butterfly) for about 60 years so why does it sound so familiar?  My mind's playing tricks with time again!

MargieH   This song used to be played in the program of "Butterflys" Wendy Craig  was mum and she was married to a dentist.

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, IAN123. said:

1973..Simon Park and Eye Level..

Not a single female in sight, very different from today's orchestras.

Did you see the trumpet player 57 seconds in, dead ringer for James May of Top Gear.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, IAN123. said:

the Harpist today could / would be a lady?

Talking of female musicians I see that Honey Lantree the drummer of the Honeycombs has died aged 75

Remember "Have I the Right" and that ponding drum backing

I seem to remember that the Applejacks (Brum Beat band) had a female bass player too and Tell Me When from the same year 1964.

What in the hell happened to all those years, I remember these songs like they were yesterday!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...