I'm sure this happens to everyone. You hear a certain song from way back when, and you are immediately transported to a place in time. For me I have two songs

Del Shannon's Runaway. I'm sitting on the top stair in my friend's house across the road on Amesbury Circus, listening to her brand new Dansette record player, playing the very first record she got.

The Beach Boy's Good Vibrations. I'm 19 yrs old or thereabouts, serving behind the bar at the clubhouse in the bowling alley on Barker Gate. This was my part time job other than my day job. This record played on the jukebox over and over.

• Like 1
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The cars always fascinated me.  I was only maybe 12-14 years old at the time and knew little about the engineering side of it, but the cars mostly just looked so mean.  We went from a Buxton camping t

And this of course the words whispered in the lady's ear.   How could I resist the aroma of your perfume.................

We were regulars down at Long Eaton in the mid Sixties and remember the musical interludes, and "Death of a Clown" does bring back memories of those nights, especially during a dry weather spell when

One record that sticks in my mind is The House of the rising sun sung by the Animals albeit Bob Dylan did have a version of it. I would too be only in my teens when I heard it coming out of the jukeboxes in the pubs about Highson Green.

We use to have an hour dinner break in those days and we teenagers spent it in the Pubs about Radford as well as Highson Green, I never spent my money on trivalent things as juke boxes all my money went on beer, cheese and onion cobs and fags.

Bip. :ph34r:

Ayup all,

Anything by SLADE, especially "Mama we're all crazy now". always reminds me of the Colliers arms down Cinderhill, Used to get "Doll" the landlady to turn up the volume and drive the olduns nuts, I'm older myself now but would still up the volume if it were on

Rog

There was a very interesting program on last night all about the music of Slade and that music era, on Ukhistory, I believe it was called The Pop and Soul Years.

Bip.

I'm sure this happens to everyone. You hear a certain song from way back when, and you are immediately transported to a place in time. For me I have two songs

Del Shannon's Runaway. I'm sitting on the top stair in my friend's house across the road on Amesbury Circus, listening to her brand new Dansette record player, playing the very first record she got.

The Beach Boy's Good Vibrations. I'm 19 yrs old or thereabouts, serving behind the bar at the clubhouse in the bowling alley on Barker Gate. This was my part time job other than my day job. This record played on the jukebox over and over.

I'll bet we have met then Katy! I was a member of the bowling alley club for a long while!

Several of us used to go bowling on Friday lunchtime, we were on nightshifts at Clifton pit, that would be around 1966 era, we would play dominos, drink Watney's Red Barrel and have a few of the bread rolls for our lunch.

I also frequented the place of a weekend sometimes,Sat or Sun nights.

oo-er, wouldn't it be funny if we knew each other! I must have worked there around 66-67, first I was on the desk as you came in the clubhouse, then I got the barmaid job. The lady who was in charge of the bar was called Connie, blonde, middle aged. We used to have some great parties in that bar, always with a theme. Quite a few tramp's suppers, where they put sawdust down on the carpet, and we all sat on orange crates and had fish and chips out the paper. Another party was roaring twenties, and also a cowboys and indians party. We always dressed the part. I met my husband there, he was in a bowling team called The Skol Five. I worked mid week and weekends, so most likely served you with your drinks.

oo-er, wouldn't it be funny if we knew each other! I must have worked there around 66-67, first I was on the desk as you came in the clubhouse, then I got the barmaid job. The lady who was in charge of the bar was called Connie, blonde, middle aged. We used to have some great parties in that bar, always with a theme. Quite a few tramp's suppers, where they put sawdust down on the carpet, and we all sat on orange crates and had fish and chips out the paper. Another party was roaring twenties, and also a cowboys and indians party. We always dressed the part. I met my husband there, he was in a bowling team called The Skol Five. I worked mid week and weekends, so most likely served you with your drinks.

It certainly would Katy, I'll bet my old boots you served me a few times over the weekends though.

• 2 weeks later...

Many songs have that affect on me so it's difficult to name just 2,

but Those were the Days my Friend....Mary Hopkins always has a

nostalgic effect.

Still love most of The Beatles earlier stuff to....Saw Her Standing There

what a beat !cheers!

Although I'm a big Elvis fan, that certain song which brings back memories is Tom Jones singing the Green Green Grass of Home, it takes me back to 1966 when I was in the Army, I was sent out to Aden, sand, sand and more bloody sand, and of course all the lads used to play that particular record to remind them of 'Blighty', so every time I hear it I'm back in Aden and I remember all me mates, some still here some gone (we left 9 out there buried in the Military Cemetaery!)

Another song that takes me back, is It Might as well Rain until September, by Carole King. It was played over and over on the 2-way and 3-way Family Favourites during the 60's. Makes me think of Sunday lunchtime long ago.

Ayup Jane,

Now your'e talking THE BEATLES anything by THE BEATLES, change the sound of pop music you know

Rog

Eh Plantfit - without the King, there would have been no Beatles - in the words of John Lennon himself 'Before Elvis there was nothing'!

I have no idea who wrote it or who sang it, but I remember the words like yesterday:

'We sailed on the old John B, my grandpappy and me, over the seven seas we did roam.....". "I wanny go home, I wanna go home, I feel so broke up I wanna go home".

Sung with substantial melancholy by a new air force intake in 1963. That and the "House of the rising sun", equally mournful.

Alison

Ayup Pem,

Would that be Elvis Costello? he he he

Alison,

I remember the Beach Boy's covering that song, Sloop John B, but I don't know who the original was by

Rog

'Sloop John B': Bahamas Traditional Folk Song

Sloop John B

We come on the sloop John B

My grandfather and me

Around Nassau town we did roam

Drinking all night

Got into a fight

Well I feel so broke up

I want to go home

So hoist up the John B's sail

See how the mainsail sets

Call for the Captain ashore

Let me go home, let me go home

I wanna go home, yeah yeah

Well I feel so broke up

I wanna go home

The first mate he got drunk

And broke in the Cap'n's trunk

The constable had to come and take him away

Sheriff John Stone

Why don't you leave me alone, yeah yeah

Well I feel so broke up I wanna go home

I wanna go home, let me go home

Why don't you let me go home

(Hoist up the John B's sail)

Hoist up the John B

I feel so broke up I wanna go home

Let me go home

The poor cook he caught the fits

And threw away all my grits

And then he took and he ate up all of my corn

Let me go home

Why don't they let me go home

This is the worst trip I've ever been on

I wanna go home, let me go home

Why don't you let me go home

Cheers

Robt P.

Thanks for that Robt P. I just looked it up on Wiki, and the Kingston Trio made it popular in the late fifties early sixties, a bit before the Beach Boys had a go in 1966.

We sang it over jugs of scrumpi in Weston Super Mud in '63.

Alison

Waterloo Sunset the Kinks, sends me back to the Disco at Golden Sands Mablethorpe,

Early 60's, As does the Crazy world of Arthur Brown's 'Fire'

Watching the River Flow - Bob Dylan. Straight back to the Union Rowing Club,

Sitting outside on the roof on summer nights around 1971.

Judy in Disguise [with Glasses] John Fred and his Playboy Band. That takes me back to early '68, to a dance at the Palais. I'd never been in the place before that.

I noticed the music everyone has mentioned is a bit earlier than mine. Mine are all 80's. I have 2 that remind me of my first trip to Europe. One is INXS, Don't Change. That was the song that I had on in my Walk-Man when the plane was just taking off. I remember how the song had just started as the plane started down the runway. It was so exciting to me and the start of that song was just like being in a movie with the big build up, then kind of funny, the starting lyrics are "I'm standing here on the ground" as the plane was lifting off. The next song is by The Cure, Just Like Heaven. I listened to that over and over on the drive from Paris to Barcelona. It was the only tape I had in the car, the rest were in my luggage in the boot! I listened to the rest of the album also, but that one really sticks in my mind.

Agree Planfit and Pemberton,

1st there was Elvis, was big fan and still like him, then there was the Beatles.

But......then Dylan and Donovan and T. Rex and Brian Ferry etc etc. Oh love country music too, but still love the Beatles and Elvis. !rotfl! lol

I have followed Carole Kings life fairly closely being as I started playing her music in the early sixties. She is about five years older than me but the highs and lows in our lives appear to have been somewhat of a parrallel only she wrote songs about it and I only sang hers and cried a lot, happy and sad.

These songs don`t really take me back to a place in time but to an emotional memory. I still get misty when singing `Changes` or `You`ve got a friend`, by myself or in front of a thousand people. I also find that people share that emotion and I find it really satisfying to have helped someone recall a maybe warm and close event. I am just a big sook when I get out my twelve string and pluck away.

Regards Andrew

|Carol King - Tapestry, Probably the finest album ever made?

And also in the same league, Helen Reddy, a very underrated artiste

• 3 years later...

'Get it On' by T. Rex.

Dating my first girlfriend, Rosemary in Bellshill, Lanarkshire at a pretty tender age. Going to the 'shows' and it was playing on all the rides. Dressed in the latest fashions bought on Glasgow Barrowlands and sitting on my granny's front steps with my girlfriend night after night. Young love.