I have been lurking about reading this forum for a few years, but just decided to join.  I was born on Cavendish Road, Carlton, went to Carlton Central Primary School (when it fell down) then Carlton Le Willows Grammar School.  I went out with and married a Netherfield lad, and moved to Netherfield, now at Bakersfield so didn't go far.  I have worked at Boots, Thorn, and Hillarys.  

Hi there tabby, welcome to Nottstalgia, pleased you've taken the plunge!

I too went to C-le-W GS and also worked at Thorn, maybe we knew each other back in the day.

Hello, tabby.  I went to C le W GS as well.  Which years were you there?

Oh ok, I was there 1961-66, Stanhope House. I don't remember your name (read it on a reply you made to Piggy and Babs) but 2 years was a big age gap at that age!  Nice to have another C-le-W ex-pupil on Nottstalgia though, not many of us on here.  

You are much younger than me, tabby!  I started in 1954 when the school building opened... but as Lizzie says, it's good to have more ex C le W students on NS.  I was in Carnarvon House.

9 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Oh ok, I was there 1961-66, Stanhope House. I don't remember your name (read it on a reply you made to Piggy and Babs) but 2 years was a big age gap at that age!  Nice to have another C-le-W ex-pupil on Nottstalgia though, not many of us on here.  

I loved every minute I was there.  Mr Draycott, Mr Riley, Miss Squires, Mr Lee, Mr Todd, Miss Wood and Mr Roberts, Mr Lloyd and lots of other teachers made it a great place to learn.  I was in Bardolph House.

• Upvote 1

Some of those teachers were there when I was... I particularly remember Mr Lee, Miss Squires and Mr Todd- the first two taught me in the 6th form - Geography and French.  Mr Marshall was the first headmaster but after he died in a climbing accident, Mr Draycott became the head.  Mr Todd once wrote in my report that I was "impatient with all but my favourite music"

I loved school too and have such happy memories of my 5 years there.  

Which Thorn establishment did you work at?  

Are you on Facebook tabby? There's a closed group for the school which you might enjoy. Margie and I are both members of it.   

I worked at Thorn Bendix/Thorn Automation on Beech Avenue in New Basford for 8 years. Again, I spent very happy years there and only left because I was getting married and moving away from Nottingham. 

On 2017-5-28 at 10:12 AM, LizzieM said:

There's a closed group for the school which you might enjoy

I have just joined the Fb group.  I am on a couple of the photos.  Tried tagging myself on one, but, of course, it gave my married name not my maiden name.

• Upvote 2