Woodborough Road and a bit of St Ann's.

Interesting view Cliff Ton, I have been trying to get my bearings, I haven't studied an aerial view of that area before. I think can see St Augustines Church, but can't see Watson Fothergils Baptist Chapel which I know is further down. Is it the white building, if it is, then I know where I am looking, I imagine that is the school yard next door; 'Or is it'? Thanks for the picture, I keep going back to it, I never realised there were so many large buildings, any idea what the large building about a quarter of the way down on the left side is and the road it is on.

• Like 1

I didn't know the area when it looked like this, so I can only say what I've learned as I've got older !

St Augustine's Church is the building across-and-down from the right-hand end of the arrow. There is another church - Emmanuel church - right next to it, and I think (not certain) that Emmanuel is no longer there, but Augustine's has survived.

The reason you can't see Fothergill's Baptist Chapel is because it just missed being in the bottom of the picture; it's probably the next thing down.

And the large building on the left (if it's the one I think you mean) is something in Mapperley Park, but looking on Google Earth, I don't think it's there now.  

That is the only picture I have seen that *might* show the place of my birth. Or at least the address on my birth certificate  :)

Is the Dame Agnes Mellors pub on that picture or is it off the top?

Surely Shelton Street is the street running horizontally in the bottom right corner of the picture?.

9 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

Is the Dame Agnes Mellors pub on that picture or is it off the top?

As far as I can tell, the DAM wasn't built at the time of the photo. It seems to have been built in the early 70s with the St Ann's redevelopment (unless there was an earlier version).

9 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

Surely Shelton Street is the street running horizontally in the bottom right corner of the picture?.

Shelton Street is further down. The road at bottom right is Peas Hill Road, with Westville Street going up parallel with Woodborough Road.

• Like 1

Cannot make out the dome on St Augustine's (Gussies) though I am sure it should be there.

Gussies was on Northville Street with the school just behind and the playground (girls one side boys the other) abutted the church. I was there 1953-59.

In the distance on the right you can see Sycamore Street School halfway up the hill. Don't know what the bigger blocks are somewhere in the vicinity of Dame Agnes Street??

In the far distance beyond Sycamore Street School is the greenery of the allotments these stretched up from Hungerhill  in St Anne's.

• Like 1

Got it!  No 264 Woodborough Road was on the right going up, just above Manning Street and just above Plowright Street which is on the left going up. So my first abode is on that picture. 

Am I right in thinking that the rows of trees running slightly diagonally across the top half of the picture (just above the solitary vehicle) are Corporation Oaks/Robin Hood Chase?

Like Siddha, I don't see St. Augustines. Was the dome added later?

Siddha, I knew 2 boys who I think went to St Augustines school, about the same time as you.  They were Danny and Tommy Beatty... wonder if you knew them?

This is how it was in the mid-50s. Two churches next to each other, with added extras. And the St Augustine's dome certainly seems to be a later addition.

woodborough_zpsu6ms8scs.jpg

25 minutes ago, The Pianoman said:

Am I right in thinking that the rows of trees running slightly diagonally across the top half of the picture (just above the solitary vehicle) are Corporation Oaks/Robin Hood Chase?

Yes, it's Corporation Oaks going horizontally across the middle of the picture.

1 hour ago, siddha said:

Don't know what the bigger blocks are somewhere in the vicinity of Dame Agnes Street??

Further up on the map they are marked as "paper bag works".   And No. 264 is slightly further up beyond them.

3 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

As far as I can tell, the DAM wasn't built at the time of the photo. It seems to have been built in the early 70s with the St Ann's redevelopment (unless there was an earlier version).

There was a Dame Agnes Mellors there in the 50's. It was me Dads drinkin' 'ole.

• 2 years later...

Taggs VG store Woodborough road,,,brilliant,,,forgot all about it,,,i used to collect their Order of Groceries for ABGibsons the VG wholesaler of Daybrook..

Edit..........coming back to me now,,,also dealt with a Pork Butcher on Woodborough road  Godfrey Bowmar,,,formerly of Hyson green.

Loving this one "My picture of the day"

Hats off to you Cliff Ton for adding this link it to a existing topic, saving space & possibly giving a boost & creating interest in this wonderful Nottingham nottstalgia site.

Oooooooooooooooo & Micks deep pockets & pension fund, long my it continue :crazy: Round of applause for Mick & Cliff Ton, for he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good fellow, for he's jolly good fellow & so say all of us! 

MWP_TEM_-120618_-NP-Bygones-feature-St-A

• Upvote 1

Brilliant link CT Tagg's that brings back memories it was my local grocery shop late 60s.

Across the road was a small car dealership place a Chinese take away in a wooden hut a

bit iffy I think, green grocer, paper shop, chemist it was a nice local place to shop you didn't

have to go miles to get what you needed.     

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, sue B 48 said:

Brilliant link CT Tagg's that brings back memories it was my local grocery shop late 60s.   

7 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Taggs VG store Woodborough road,,,brilliant,,,forgot all about it,,,

Have we accidentally stumbled across a secret link ?    Sue B and Ben both frequented the same shop at the same time.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Top of Eaton Street...Jack Hardy Turf Accountant....i was born there me dAd was Bert the Bookie

• 1 year later...

Could it have been from those aerial photos, Britain from above?  it was obviously taken before the streets were full of cars.

No Kath, I do know it wasn't from there. One of the annoying things about Britain from Above is that it doesn't cover the east side of Nottingham.

I think this photo might remain a mystery one-off.

No problem, Cliff - it's a great shot regardless. The only picture I've been able to find of that area where you can see the entrance to that small walking street, Cranmer Grove, how it used to look (before they demolished the houses on Cranmer Street and built Highwood in the 70s).

• 1 year later...
On 5/28/2017 at 3:34 AM, Cliff Ton said:

An aerial view of Woodborough Road, probably around the 1930s, looking towards Mapperley at the top and city at the bottom. As a reference point, the arrow is Cranmer Street.

http://i.imgur.com/cfmXJBw.jpg

Thank you cliff ton , that must be marple street to the left of the arrow ?