One of my favourite pastimes when I was a little girl (in the 50s) was going up the allotments with my dad.  If he was in a good mood he would let me ride in his wheelbarrow - he must have been fit to push me up the long path.  Our house on Cavendish Road backed onto the allotments, but we always went down the road and through the big gate.  Dad had two plots - one along the main path on the left and the other right up to the end of the circular path.  On the way he would lift me up to look at the baby birds in their nests, but I was told I must never touch them or go near them if I could see the mother bird.  He grew lots of things but my favourites were gooseberries, red currants, peas, radishes and strawberries.  He had a big water butt on each plot where I watched the various insects on the surface.  Mum came once.  Dad got her weeding but was confused when she said all the weeds were growing in straight lines.  She had pulled up all his newly sewn plants!  

Don't recall them being call the Robin Hood allotments in those days though.

• Upvote 4

It's labelled as RH Allotments on Old Maps in the mid-50s. A bit small here because the map covers a wide area, but is shows the larger area occupied by the allotments before some of it was built over.

hood_zpsrc2fmtrv.jpg

Cavendish Road is on the right, with Foxhill and Valley Road on the left.

• Upvote 1

What an interesting map.  I guess the footpath (dotted line) going all the way from Cavo to Foxhill is Russia path.  Where it says Robin Hodd Allotment Gardens seem to be a bit far up - more like the Alps.  There is the path with the big loop loop to the right which I think is where I went with dad.  However, one must admit the old grey cells are betting a bit befuddled now days!

• Upvote 1

I enjoyed reading your post about Nottingham when you were a little girl, tabbyoddsocks.

The bit about your Mum doing the weeding had me laughing. :)

It's always good to see Cliff Ton come up with a map to show us where these places are.

#2. An interesting map. My dad's brother, Bill Birch, lived in one of the houses shown at  the top of Valley Road. I believe the large area below the allotment field had a bomb dropped on it during the war.

The unnamed road disappearing off the bottom left corner of the map was where we used to go down to Valley Road after having got off the trackless at the top of Carlton Hill. In those days - late 1940s - it was a wide track, not a proper road, and it was so steep that it had wide wooden steps across it. I believe it has been a proper road for many years.

The "unnamed road" is probably Second Avenue - or perhaps Highfield Drive. This is from the late 40s and they are named, but only have housing at the Carlton Hill end, with fields and allotments for the rest.

foxhill_zpshoshh3ab.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A little further down Cavendish Road, opposite the bottom of Belper Ave, on the corner of the unmade road going down to a small holding, was "the pretty garden".  The whole garden was made into small raised concrete fish ponds - some of them inter-connected.  There were small windmills, houses etc on the banks and there were fish in the ponds. Does  anyone else remember it?

• 1 year later...

I remember the "pretty garden" on Cavendish Road. I also remember walking across the "Alps" and Rusher Field. I never heard the allotments being called "Robin Hood" allotments.

The houses on and around the Campbell Drive were commenced in the early 1950s.

Regards,

Will2017

• 3 months later...