Whatever happened to......?

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I completely agree with you CliffTon.  I still find this new set-up a real pain, having to scroll down looking for a topic I want to read and seeing pages of Word Games.   I used to spend a lot o

I'm the first to agree we need "banter" (whatever it is).  If the site was only about Nottingham and absolutely nothing else, it would become a bit academic and serious and only suitable for anoraks.

CliffTon ........ really enjoyed his photos and posts

23 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Are you able to test it out on any other device ?  eg Someone else's computer or phone ?

I'll check it out on my laptop soon as pos'

I'm currently logged on through the NS page on Duck Duck go.   Comes up with the old login page.  Very appropriate Meduck.;)

Is there any way to log in or out or register as with the old page.  The new one is not friendly to potential new members or old Ffff fogies like me.

I assume that means you don't normally use DDG ? 

I'm not sure why that should give you an old version of the Home Page. But if that enables you to log in, I suggest you stick with it - and bookmark it.

I think the problem ultimately is that the software which runs Nottstalgia just doesn't like some devices and browsers.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

I’ve been told the landline is going digital sometime soon and I’ll have to plug the ‘phone into the router. It’s still wired to the cabinet here though and the cabinet’s a quarter of a mile away.

Phil, can I presume you are with BT? We got rid of our landline altogether when BT went digital here as we never used it only for the internet. We all have mobiles anyway. It also reduces your bill overall if you’re not renting the landline and the internet just runs off digital.

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

I assume that means you don't normally use DDG ? 

I'm not sure why that should give you an old version of the Home Page. But if that enables you to log in, I suggest you stick with it - and bookmark it.

I think the problem ultimately is that the software which runs Nottstalgia just doesn't like some devices and browsers.

Not sure what DDG is but I may try a different browser.

Currently using Firefox.  I've always liked it.

Phil I am with Virgin for my internet and have received the same message that soon I must plug my phone into the router. The phone is with my internet package but I never use it for making calls and I only receive the occasional call on it, if it keeps Virgin happy, I am OK with it as I will never pay them any money for making calls on it. My sons package also includes a home phone he cannot remember the number and has never plugged a phone into the connection.

Now logged in on Brave browser.  just like old times.  I guess the new format doesn't like firefox.  I wish invision would consider such possibilities before they make such changes and at least warn us or suggest workarounds before causing inconvenience and extra work for admin.

Guys you must be paying a fee for whoever your provider is for the landline telephone connection. If you’re not using it for home phone calls then stop paying for it if the provider has gone digital and you don’t need the landline to connect to the internet. 

Hello Trogg, mine was too with BT but they reduced the package price when I told them I didn’t need it. Things have probably changed as this was a while ago. Worth a go my friend if you haven’t already approached them.

The Park Tavern on Nuthall Road?  On my journey to Berridge last week, I couldn't see this pub. Has it gone?  I did notice an Iceland sticking out like a sore thumb in a row of very unimaginative cardboard box type units. Is that what has replaced the pub?

• Like 1

It is now Iceland. I think the only pub left now between the end of Radford Road/Gregory Boulevard to Cinder Hill roundabout is the Whitemoor. Newcastle Arms 'may' be coming back to life.

• Like 1

Thanks, Pianoman. I thought I hadn't missed it. The Park Tavern was hardly grand architecture but it was much more eyeable than what has replaced it.  Utilitarian in the extreme. Not even Bauhaus. Krankenhaus, maybe.  Another piece of Nottingham gone west.

The Commodore is now an eye clinic! Mitch Stevenson would have a fit.

My sister recently had two cataracts removed in a similar venue (not in Nottingham) and the outcome has been a catastrophe.  

No Jill........never went in......my Park Tavern was  the one on Southwark street/ Arnold road Old Basford.......not been in for many years now....

Got lots of History there.......

Dad born next door 1923...

Family gathering place for a sing song in the basket room...50s and 60s...

Played football for them in the 60s and 70s...

My local until i left for Peterborough in 75.....returned early 80s became my local again.....met up again with all my old Pals........now mostly departed...hence makes me sad...so don't visit any more....

All the girlfriends (including mine) of old friends used to Dance in the Bar sunday nights with the older Teddy boys........great times....my favourite Pub ever.....some folk thought it was rough..but i can honestly say in all my years in there..never saw any trouble...

Sorry for 'Waxing on'' could tell many stories about the place ..mostly very funny.......

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

No Jill........never went in......my Park Tavern was  the one on Southwark street/ Arnold road Old Basford.......not been in for many years now....Got lots of History there.......Dad born next door 1923...

Family gathering place for a sing song in the basket room...50s and 60s...Played football for them in the 60s and 70s...My local until i left for Peterborough in 75.....returned early 80s became my local again.....met up again with all my old Pals.......

It's still there and still operating as a pub.  https://goo.gl/maps/i5Jgyh5XPaHj4cak6

• Like 1