Whatever happened to......?

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

Yes, I closed it.

It got heated, irrelevant, and ended up with accusations and bad attitudes. 

Sum it up in one word - Troll.

But she is still posting on other threads.. ...

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I completely agree with you CliffTon.  I still find this new set-up a real pain, having to scroll down looking for a topic I want to read and seeing pages of Word Games.   I used to spend a lot o

I'm the first to agree we need "banter" (whatever it is).  If the site was only about Nottingham and absolutely nothing else, it would become a bit academic and serious and only suitable for anoraks.

CliffTon ........ really enjoyed his photos and posts

12 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Livened the day did Missjacnotts.........gets 50 replies to her first topic on her first day........ruffled everybodys feathers.........don't get me wrong cliff ton you did right..........just thought it was quite funny...........:crazy:.

Didn't ruffle my feathers |Ben, I said the new poster was a wind up & am still sure she ? was.

• Like 2

Nothing too wild, Jill.  Just a young lady teacher who asked what we thought about not allowing a kid to leave the classroom for a pee between Class breaks.  Needless to say there were some predictable strong opinions on the matter.  Mine included.  Not a great choice of topic for a first post.  I left to do some yardwork.  Sounds like things may have got a bit heated after that.  I don't know.  I didn't see it.  Glad I didn't.

It's been very quiet on here just lately,not many people posting, I suppose you're all out Christmas shopping or whatever, I have a quick look on here every time I come in from a ride or messing about in the shed or garden, and sometimes very little if anything has been posted, still it might pick up after Christmas,whatever the reason Notts folk are still the best and it's great to read your posts and especially your sense of humour,(they don't seem to have any of that out here,) take care you lot

Rog

• Like 2

I agree with radfordred, if it's not that, then it's daily diary posting, something that doesn't interest me. To those who haven't noticed Nottstalgia is the key word.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, radfordred said:

Every time I look its full of bleddy keep one/song association its relentless, so I don't bother posting what I was going to post.  

I've just notice they both been given the clip, nice one whoever the sensible mod was. 

It were me.  The games had accumulated because I haven't been here much recently; like others, I lost enthusiasm and couldn't be bothered.

• Like 4

If every topic and post were only about Nottingham I think the site would dry up or become a fraction of it's size. 

There is often a spark of recollection about Nottingham related subjects when talking about general every day matters with other Nottingham people. 'Hows your day' - for instance. I skip several threads that, on the surface are 'nothing Nottingham' - bet I've missed a nugget or two :biggrin:

• Like 4

I think I know what you mean "lost enthusiasm" I try to post sommat different but not always nostalgic and not everyone has the same tastes as me and some of my posts never get a response but I keep trying,I know there is only so much history about our great city you can write about so perhaps that's where the history/nostalgic content is losing out,some of the older/historical posts have been resurrected to try and generate some more comments from our newer members but most of them are short lived. I don't know the answer on how to generate enthusiasm but I'll keep searching as I'm sure a lot of the other members will,it's maybe just "that time of year" when time is in short supply for a lot of people what with family get togethers and thinking of others and posting on a website comes way down the list of importance, so maybe things will pickup after the big event,

Rog

• Like 3

Must admit Terry a lot of threads don't interest me......but i do read them and like to take the occasional 'wee wee' and love it when the way members don't take offence.........its not meant to be offensive anyway........also enjoy having the 'Wee' taken out of myself............we have all sorts on here,most fairly normal........but not all.........if people like the word games so be it ,i find em boring ,anything mechanical and DIY does me head in,........not interested in Cooking and what folk have eaten today..........i probably get on folks nerves with me Marsdens days.....and shoplifters......to say nowt of former Romantic relaationships (left the double A In on purpose finger shake bad today).........but the site would be boring if we were all the same.........just my thoughts:rolleyes:

• Like 6

I did used to enjoy the games threads, but found I had got to the stage where I was just repeating what I added in earlier posts, so I stopped, doing them. I read every ones posts and join in if I'm interested, but some off them are subjects I know nothing about, so I just move on. Life can be a bit serious in reality sometimes and NS, is my escape route, so I try not to get involved in any topics that are too heavy.

I do miss a lot of the talk about Nottingham, but I understand that most of us have exhausted our supply of memories, I know I have already used up most of my memories, seeing as I only spent 18 and a bit years there. We need some newbies to get us all delving again, but in the mean time bring on the light hearted banter, it certainly keeps us giggling.:biggrin:

• Like 5

Spot on Carnie...........and i reckon Nottingham is the world Capital of ''Banter''...........saw a chap in Bulwell this morning who i played football with in the 70s had not seen him since those days..........we walked towards each other and were both smiling.......his first words to me were......hey Ben (paul) you were crap on Saturday''..........i answered ''so were you Ken''..........and don't care if its not British, both hugged each other.......a magic moment............

• Like 6

I'm the first to agree we need "banter" (whatever it is).  If the site was only about Nottingham and absolutely nothing else, it would become a bit academic and serious and only suitable for anoraks. The trick is to get the balance right, and that is where it sometimes comes unstuck. Every time you think the Nottm subjects have been exhausted, somebody comes up with a topic which - amazingly - no-one had thought of before.  And crucially, those are the subjects which get newcomers to the site, because they want to find out about their ancestors who lived in Lenton in 1920, or they want to be reminded about which buses went from Hanley Street. 

I defy anyone to show me that newcomers have been attracted to the site as a result of ‘Keep one drop one’.

And there’s nowt wrong with going back over old threads and old subjects. Going back to a thread which went quiet 4 years ago  might introduce it to people who have only joined in the last 2 years and hadn’t noticed it. And it will jog memories of those who posted on it previously, and start them off again with things they’d forgotten.

What can be annoying is posting Nottm material and then watching it quickly disappear down the list, which means it can be missed by many. That results in people being reluctant to post anything in the first place - what’s the point, no-one’s going to see it.

It can be a vicious circle.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

I completely agree with you CliffTon.  I still find this new set-up a real pain, having to scroll down looking for a topic I want to read and seeing pages of Word Games.  

I used to spend a lot of my time wasted on the Word Games, it became an obsession a few years ago and that’s the only reason I have registered so many posts on Nottstalgia.  Like Carni I got fed up with the same old words cropping up time and time again with only a handful of people taking part.  Thank goodness I weaned myself off it. 

I’m interested in what everyone gets up to during their day but naturally there are topics I have no interest in, but I appreciate topics about trains (for instance) are of great interest to many of you.  

I do enjoy seeing really old threads resurrected, especially accompanied by amusing comments by Radfordred, I appreciate your (sometimes very unusual) sense of humour RR smile2

I just wish I could think of an interesting topic to start but I reckon I must have had a very ordinary and boring childhood as there’s nothing in the memory bank that would be of the slightest interest to you lot.  

However, long live Nottstalgia and its contributors, those I’ve personally met are smashing folk, I look upon you as good friends and always look forward to our meet-ups. 

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

It's definitely a result of the new systems inability to condense multiple posts on the same topic, that's the trouble. 

I still like the word games, but maybe not with quite the enthusiasm as in past times. 

The balance is still remarkable, as old threads are regularly resurrected. I often look at what the guests are viewing, and some amazing old topics crop up. Can't say that I'm totally enthralled by some of the flippant comments on what are sometimes serious subjects. 

The posts I completely ignore are the 'My legs ache today' or 'My eye test is due ' and that sort of thing. Yes, we've all been guilty of that I dare say.

However, there is still something for everyone's tastes and that is what is fascinating. 

Oh, and we do have banter, but it's not always appreciated as some people take the hump at the slightest thing that they disagree with. 

Live and let live, and just get on with life.

• Like 1

The answer lies in the fingers of the moderators. Just remove all word games and ban them. Give a warning/instruction that no more such threads will be tolerated. If anyone starts another then remove it immediately. The 'offenders' will  get the message and quickly forget about posting any more. Just do it. Don't worry about hurting anyone's feelings.

• Like 3

Oh well thanks for that you two. So much for compassion, variety, and the understanding of other people's wishes etc.

Perhaps some people feel the same about poetry, and personal blogs ! Variety is what makes this site so interesting. 

Lets get one thing clear once and for all. No one person is bigger than this forum, whatever certain folks may think. It's NOT run solely for the benefit of a few opinionated individuals, me included. It'll hopefully be here long after we've all gone ! 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

What on earth are you going on about, F2? What has 'compassion' got to do with it? The problem with the word games is that they clog up the daily listings. If you try to find something posted one or two days previously, it will be lost in the morass of  word game posts. 

• Like 3