Whatever happened to......?

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I completely agree with you CliffTon.  I still find this new set-up a real pain, having to scroll down looking for a topic I want to read and seeing pages of Word Games.   I used to spend a lot o

I'm the first to agree we need "banter" (whatever it is).  If the site was only about Nottingham and absolutely nothing else, it would become a bit academic and serious and only suitable for anoraks.

CliffTon ........ really enjoyed his photos and posts

I personally agree with Cliff Ton, there is a lot of dross on the site. But I've come to appreciate one person's dross is another person's raison d'etre so I accept the shortcomings. I now visit a bit less often and generally confine myself to topics of Nottingham in the old days. I'm quite happy with that.  

Thing though, if one is to complain about the lack of proper 'Nottstalgia' ask yourself this... 'how much do I contribute to those threads without waiting for others, often Cliff Ton, to provide a prompt?' I admit to being just as guilty as others by the way.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Quite right TBI...............And where are all the Topic starters''?

Anyway scrolling down aint exactly manual labour is it.........lol.

• Like 1

Mea Culpa also, but please remember some of us old expats have few photos and even fewer recent memories of Nottingham but still really enjoy the posts from those still living there, even if they are not real Nottstalgia. ;)

• Like 2

Maybe a daily delete of the word/keepone/song dross would bring all those lost Nottingham topics back to the top?

Wonder if this could work? Why not play the games via PMing each other? Does anyone not playing read them?

Cheers Clifton did miss those Mount Street photos amongst the offal.

Just a few ideas it doesn't really effect me only come here while having my morning cup of tea before work & around this time while dinners on.

A tip for anybody who's got some real good Nottingham stuff to post this time 5pm is a good time think they've all gone for an afternoon nap ...... Shush you'll wake em up :crazy:

• Like 1

RR, you're definitely the most....... Do you know, I just can't be bothered to reply !

• Like 1

Have read all the comments in this thread and have come to the conclusion that maybe i shouldn't be posting. My hubby is Hyson Green born and bred so joined to keep him up with all the changes in Nottingham. Most of my posts are of my own area plus those of when we visit relatives in Nottingham, i lived in Nottingham 3 years one year at University rest working.  If i have got things wrong sorry.  Love reading all posts anything and everything.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Look folks, I don't know how many times I've got to say this, but if there's anything on here that you don't like, just ignore it.

If I listed all the dross that I've seen recently, I'd be on for evermore.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I have to do very little scrolling as I go straight to 'unread content' - it seems to be my default setting - so there are usually only a few topics showing.  After ignoring the ones I'm not interested in (like word games!) there aren't many left to look at.  I realise that when I click on a topic, it shows the most recent post but it's easy to go back a bit till I  get to ones I've already read.

Doesn't anybody else do this or do you all do it the long way and scroll through 'activity'?

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Gem said:

Have read all the comments in this thread and have come to the conclusion that maybe i shouldn't be posting. My hubby is Hyson Green born and bred so joined to keep him up with all the changes in Nottingham. Most of my posts are of my own area plus those of when we visit relatives in Nottingham, i lived in Nottingham 3 years one year at University rest working.  If i have got things wrong sorry.  Love reading all posts anything and everything.

Nothing at all to apologise for Gem. Post whatever you like. It's what everybody else does....lol

We are all posting with memories that cover an approximately 60 to 70 year span.  We might share some of the Memories and photos of grandparents.  There's a limited perspective of Nottingham history that any of us can address.

I think one of the great values of this site is that more current issues of our day are addressed from a Nottingham vantage point.  I really value that.  It has kept me coming back for some nine years.  Each time someone new comes on and stays they have much to add each time.  I love NS just the way it is.  :)

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1
11 hours ago, TBI said:

Nothing at all to apologise for Gem. Post whatever you like. It's what everybody else does....lol

Thanks TBI shall continue my rambling, i sometimes go back to the early comments mainly those that cover Hyson Green.  The palm street gang and robbing bonfires  brought back some memories for hubby..  Coming to Nottingham for a wedding soon thinking of Eastwood Hall anyone recommend, usually stay at the Sun Inn but want a change.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
43 minutes ago, Gem said:

...I shall continue my rambling, 

Good move. You won't regret it.

44 minutes ago, Gem said:

i sometimes go back to the early comments mainly those that cover Hyson Green.  

Your comment has reminded me of a post made a few weeks ago by someone who asked a question and never returned to check on any replies.  Maybe you can add something to it instead.

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/16587-birkin-avenue-hyson-green/

12 hours ago, Gem said:

Coming to Nottingham for a wedding soon thinking of Eastwood Hall anyone recommend, usually stay at the Sun Inn but want a change.

Eastwood Hall is now Hayley Conference Centre. Probably stick with Sun Inn for digs. can't think of anywhere else at the mo'. Let me know when you are here and we might have a pint, I live just opposite Hayley Conference Centre.

1 minute ago, The Pianoman said:

Eastwood Hall is now Hayley Conference Centre. Probably stick with Sun Inn for digs. can't think of anywhere else at the mo'. Let me know when you are here and we might have a pint, I live just opposite Hayley Conference Centre.

Advice noted and taken thank you, we have been going to the Sun Inn for a number of years it was run by a relative  when we first went when they moved on we kept on going.