Whatever happened to......?

Compassion is about thinking of other people's feelings, or are you totally devoid of such a thing.

Because a certain aspect of the system has become difficult to negotiate, it doesn't mean that others have to suffer just to satisfy your inability to cope with it.

• Like 2
  • Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I completely agree with you CliffTon.  I still find this new set-up a real pain, having to scroll down looking for a topic I want to read and seeing pages of Word Games.   I used to spend a lot o

I'm the first to agree we need "banter" (whatever it is).  If the site was only about Nottingham and absolutely nothing else, it would become a bit academic and serious and only suitable for anoraks.

CliffTon ........ really enjoyed his photos and posts

I know what you mean Rog. Some folk insist on regurgitating the same old claptrap. Coming up with the same old chestnut, and refusing to let sleeping dogs lie. Perhaps it's high time for a cull of ageing members !

There's also the condense facility which reduces things considerably.

2 hours ago, Chulla said:

The answer lies in the fingers of the moderators. Just remove all word games and ban them. Give a warning/instruction that no more such threads will be tolerated. If anyone starts another then remove it immediately. The 'offenders' will  get the message and quickly forget about posting any more. Just do it. Don't worry about hurting anyone's feelings.

Really Chulla? Having a bad day are we? What happened to live and let live? I have to say I agree with Fly and roger peatman, it takes mere seconds to scroll past subjects that are of no interest. I don't read them but it's self evident that others do or the games wouldn't exist.

Youtube screen postings often use more screen acreage than the word games are they to be banned as well? 

• Upvote 1
39 minutes ago, roger peatman said:

It takes a few seconds to scroll down the "unread content" and if nothing is of interest to you, just hit the "mark site read" button - job done !!

I'm with Roger and Brew, It appears that the cold weather has caused and outbreak of "GoGitis"

Image result for grumpy old gits

• Upvote 1

If it's only 'banter', then why persist with antagonistic quips and agreeing with a member with an over cantankerous attitude. 

These argumentative statements only become 'banter' when you hit opposition .kickme

3 hours ago, plantfit said:

I think I need to take a break from nottstalgia,some things just keep going round in circles

Rog

Don't do that Rog,.............although i'm not interested in things you are........i do read em all,and sometimes take the 'Wee' and you always come back at me which is great,.......good matey banter'....and apart from that and having met you  ,you are an OK Geezer'........

• Like 2

Rog, please don't 'take a break'. Just think of how much time you'll have to spend catching up when you return!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Seems to me that the definition of banter would be good natured poking of fun at someone, who usually responds in kind.  Ben is a master of it.  :biggrin:. We don't need a 'cull' of old members.  There are a lot of things that may not interest everyone but we sometimes learn new stuff that way.  Eg.  I'm not much into railways but I have enjoyed reading about them and watching some great old videos there.  Variety is the spice of life.  When I log in I just hit 'unread content'. I'm not into word games so I just don't go there, but I'm not opposed to those who enjoy them.   Don't drop out Rog.  I, for one, enjoy your input.  I don't think anybody needs to drop out.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I found you all by accident when looking for Shipstones Brewery, it has provided hubby with lots of memories and found things he never knew. Lived all his life in Basford so you enabled him through your posts to see how things changed, so nobody throw your dummies out of the pram keep going. Gem

• Like 1

Take note of NBL Rog,.........there are some on here who love a good  ''CULL''......no names etc.............lol

• Like 2
1 minute ago, NewBasfordlad said:

Cull aging members now there's a thought, however just another thought 'how many folk do you think there would be left to post' not many me thinks.smile2

NBL, depends on where the line is drawn for 'too old'. ...... lol  

If it's 50, then the forum would probably soon grind to a halt.

If it's 60, it might continue for a bit longer, but not much

Anyway, it's hypothetical (I hope)

• Like 2

There is no substitute for experience of life and that only comes with age. For once it is something that you can't buy on the internet. What suits one does not necessarily suit all but that is the nature of life, just accept it and get on with what suits you.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

'A cull of ageing members' .............. Just 'banter' !

• Like 1

I'm biologically old enough to be your mother, Jill, so you must be young.....

I keep telling myself that I'm going to retire soon, but there's too many things I have to do - so many commitments.  

But actually, I reckon once you stop doing stuff, then it isn't good for you... it's the start of the slow decline.  Lol

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2