Whatever happened to......?

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I completely agree with you CliffTon.  I still find this new set-up a real pain, having to scroll down looking for a topic I want to read and seeing pages of Word Games.   I used to spend a lot o

I'm the first to agree we need "banter" (whatever it is).  If the site was only about Nottingham and absolutely nothing else, it would become a bit academic and serious and only suitable for anoraks.

CliffTon ........ really enjoyed his photos and posts

I agree with Margie, it's good to keep working because it stops the grey cells turning to porridge. I don't have to work and, to be honest, one look out of the window at the weather these last few mornings and only my cast iron willpower prevented me jumping back into bed! That's the same cast iron willpower that deserts me when faced with a cream cake, by the way!

Being a bit of a feminist, I'm always banging on about how women can do anything men can do, so now I'll work until I'm 66 to prove it. Hoist with my own petard, as the saying goes! :wacko:

• Like 4
1 hour ago, MargieH said:

But actually, I reckon once you stop doing stuff, then it isn't good for you... it's the start of the slow decline.  Lol

Never more true Margie, I retired at 58 we had 3 months  just doing nothing then sorted out things to do. School was my natural place to go and have never regretted it only 3 sessions a week sometimes its enough. hubby is a golfer and watches rugby, my mum and aunty run the library at their assisted living accommodation gives them an interest.

• Like 1

So.......whatever  happened to Ian Dawson?  does anyone know? His member profile appears to have gone from the list too.

Musings on the subject of Nottstalgia:

1. This thread is in the "Owt abaaht nowt" section and should be exempt from obligatory reference to Nottingham per se.

2. There are many on here, like myself,  who left Nottingham a long time ago.  I can talk about Nottingham from the 1950s through to the early '80s but there my knowledge runs out due to my leaving the area in 1983.  Whilst it is good to hear others talk about the city as it has been in more recent times, I am unable to submit any useful comments and so tend to lurk on more modern issue threads.

3.  Any talk of "Taking a break" from the group....you know who you are slywink.... should be punishable by hanging by the neck until you cheer up......

:rotfl:

• Like 7

I don't think so, Waddo, and that's not the point.  State Pension Age should be equalised with men, but the issue is how it wasn't communicated properly, along with the fact that women generally have lower private and State pensions than men, pay has never been equal, more women work part time etc etc etc

My wife was lucky she started receiving her pension at 60 but stayed at work enabling her to bank the dosh. Like you say Ann a lot of money, that made her retirement much easier,  I have no idea how much it came to as it really is none of my business all I know is that should I request some there would be no problem and like wise visa versa.

Yes, your wife got her pension when expected, at 60 and it's good that she continued to work.  I still work and will do, probably, until I get my State Pension at 66.  I wasn't asking how much State Pension women who already have their State Pension get, or how it's shared between you. I was just saying how much I and many others have lost as we have to wait for 6 years

When the gubbermint said that they were going to equalise pension ages for men and women I thought they were going to reduce the age that men could draw their pension to that of women.  I thought "What a good ideda - make way for youngsters to get on the work ladder and we retire early and enjoy a longer retirement." Alas, it was not to be.  We now have an increased retirement age for both sexes and more people remaining in work into old age.  This must be having a knock-on effect on younger people who cannot get work because those already working have no proption places to move up into?  I'm all for earlier retirement, even if it means paying a little more into National Insurance coffers to cover it.

• Like 3

I agree with you Compo I do think retirement age should have been brought down, after all life's for living not working till you drop. I can remember my mum had a choice about paying insurance stamps she could pay the full amount, or pay 6d of cause not earning much in those days she chose to pay 6d. but she was older than my dad by 2/3 years she could still not retire till my dad was 65 , so much for paying stamps. 

I think the best thing is when you as a women retire, and you have not paid in enough stamp money ( having time of to have children) they ask you if you would like to pay them some  money to make up your stamps what you have missed  so you can draw a full pension. 

Crazy system or what?

• Like 1
On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:18 PM, NewBasfordlad said:

About time you ladies caught up with the lads, pure sexismisitsafe

BE CARFULL WHAT YOU SAY NewBasfordlad

I can uderstand the frustration from the ladies, my wife also had her expected pension put back to 66 years. As said, that six years of lost pension works out quite a lot.

Remember though, one very good aspect of the system is that many women recieve qualifying years whilst not working due to looking after children. The rules have changed a bit over the years, but has worked out well for many women who can get sometimes twenty-odd worth of annual credits. Not necessarily a 'full' pension but still very decent, despite not putting in many years of actual 'work'. Swings and roundabouts a bit.

• Like 1

I don't have to be careful Mary,................................ I am good instead.

I was talking with the lady last night about retirement age and how it will keep on rising in our belief. We came to the opinion that the main problem is that the rules are made by politicians, people who's work load consists of talking, more talking, the heaviest work they do is push a pen across paper or cut a ribbon with scissors and they have no idea of hard heavy graft.

I am now 71 and still do all the company paperwork i.e. pen pushing but I physically just could not go out on site, the last year of doing that I realised I was just getting in the way of fit younger men so I left them to it.

How people in physical jobs are going to get on in the future I do not know.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, catfan said:

Don't forget the loss of free bus travel too, some councils give free passes at 60, many don't including Nottingham City Council.

I was of the understanding that your bus pass was universal and given by the government shows how much interest i take in local affairs.  Hubby has one i don't pity you can't share as  it he never gets on a bus.

Same around here, Phil.  In many parts of Scotland public transport is practically non-existent.  They say that you can travel anywhere in Scotland on the bus for free - but it takes several days to get from one end to the other and back so the cost in overnight accommodation makes the prospect prohibitively expensive.

On 12/14/2017 at 5:53 PM, Gem said:

I was of the understanding that your bus pass was universal and given by the government shows how much interest i take in local affairs.  Hubby has one i don't pity you can't share as  it he never gets on a bus.

Up to the individual local council Gem. Some councils do many don't.