Whatever happened to......?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I completely agree with you CliffTon.  I still find this new set-up a real pain, having to scroll down looking for a topic I want to read and seeing pages of Word Games.   I used to spend a lot o

I'm the first to agree we need "banter" (whatever it is).  If the site was only about Nottingham and absolutely nothing else, it would become a bit academic and serious and only suitable for anoraks.

CliffTon ........ really enjoyed his photos and posts

With the football season just weeks away, got me thinking whatever happened to those Chinese fighting/throwing stars, you used to see in Kung Fu films? Our metalwork teacher Mr Bowmar used to knock some up & sharpen them like razors, then lob them the length of the classroom. 

• Like 1

This one is at the top of my list for winding me up. Sooooooooo, I devised a plan!

You see at my age, I am a bit slow slywinkand when I have had a receipt and lots of cash /notes in change plonked in my hand, not surprisingly my hand being quite small, drops the lot, (very carefully, so as not to lose any) on to the counter. I fumble about, trying to pick it up, then I have to add it all up, slowly of course, to make sure it's all there. Serves the Bo99ers right. One giggly OAP, totters out of the shop, leaving behind a really rude assistant, who now has quite a queue of impatient customers to contend with. My apologies if any of you end up in a queue at the tills, when I put my plan into action! thumbsup 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, radfordred said:

What happened to the art of shop workers counting your change back to your hand? One, two, three, three fifty. three fifty five & two pence. Thank you.

Smart tills happened which give the amount of change to be given. Recently I bought something 52 pence. Gave a pound but then said I've got the 2 and handed 2p over. Total confusion for the assistant who gave the 2p back and then 48p. Hadn't a clue. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I go to a quiz at a local club, if we win we get £5 vouchers. Take the voucher to the bar and hand it over with a bank note to buy a round of drinks, barmaid says you can't get change from the voucher, I don't want change from the voucher I want change from the bank note, total confusion.

• Like 3

Nice one carnie,,i too tend to cause a queue at the till,,i always seem to have loads of change in my purse (yes i use a purse) i then begin counting the coins making sure i get rid of the smallest first,,often drop some among the sweets and on the floor (its me shaky finger) this mostly happens in the small newsagents in Bulwell,,and the line of people behind start ''tutting'' much banter then ensues,,like 'come on bleddy hell'' ''change a sodding note'' ''we'll be hear all day'' love it...........sometimes the owner,, who i get on really well with,, takes me purse and helps himself,,saying youre not causing trouble today,,......then on me way out the moaners are nearly all saying,,,''tara duck'' or similar........lol

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Because my eyes are getting worse, I sometimes have problems working out which coins are which (yes, I know that they are different shapes and sizes but some look very similar I think). In a supermarket I hand over notes and get change, but in our local village Spar, I sometimes tip out my change on the counter and let the person on the till take what is needed.  We're an honest lot round here ....I think!  

• Like 1

Ladybirds !

11 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

Ladybirds !

No greenflies to eat FLY.  Well not on our ‘estate’ anyway!    

Which reminds me of about 25 years ago when we lived in Hertfordshire we planted a pretty long Beech hedge.  Greenfly were attacking it before it got going.  We bought a big spray thingy back-pack contraption and sprayed it every single evening for weeks and weeks.  It was a full-time job dealing with the aphids.  We were successful in the end and finally had a fantastic hedge. 

• Upvote 1

And another memory. 1979 ...... we went for a week’s holiday to Yarmouth with a toddler and 2 month old baby.  The Prom was green, completely covered with greenflies, the whole area was green.  

You're right Lizzie, I've never seen any greenfly on our roses this year. Too hot for the little beggars !

I miss the ladybirds though.

• 3 weeks later...

On my brother's stag night someone took one of these from a hole in the road and left it at my brother's house. It must have been reported because a day or two later the police came and charged him with theft. When it came to court he told the story of his stag night and was given a reprimand by the beak.

• 4 weeks later...

Me too. We had time to gently ingest the contents, and invariably there was a good description accompanying it.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I think he's just biding his time Ben !

• Like 2

It was a great relief to supermarkets when the de rigueur colour for bathroom porcelain reverted to white in the early '80's and they didn't need to dedicate half of their total shelf space to different colours of toilet rolls.