Whatever happened to......?

59 minutes ago, Geoffrey Dennis said:

Forgive my ignorance but who or what the heck was Tubby the Tuba?

There you go, fill yer boots...

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I completely agree with you CliffTon.  I still find this new set-up a real pain, having to scroll down looking for a topic I want to read and seeing pages of Word Games.   I used to spend a lot o

I'm the first to agree we need "banter" (whatever it is).  If the site was only about Nottingham and absolutely nothing else, it would become a bit academic and serious and only suitable for anoraks.

CliffTon ........ really enjoyed his photos and posts

9 minutes ago, Geoffrey Dennis said:

Thanks Brew, a minor irritation for what appears to be a Musical------there is no sound!

Got sound on mine GD., never realised it a cartoon though. Told you some clever clogs would put me right. Cheers Brew. :bravo:

Your right about Sparky, was well ahead of its time. Beekay.

Talking of whatever happened to.....Does anyone remember the hot dog sellers who used to frequent  around the city centre, with their little push carts? Bags of bread rolls and tins of frankfurters, fried onions if you were lucky. I assume they were heated by calor gas. Nowhere to wash ones hands etc. My mate used to have a cart and he said it was quite lucrative, till you were moved on by Plod.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Does anyone remember the hot dog sellers who used to frequent  around the city centre, with their little push carts?

Still one at Ocean, but don't know if he has a cart, I'd imagine they got driven off the streets by Environmental Health

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/ocean-nightclub-hot-dog-seller-2805986

I meant the bloke selling the hot dogs, (or donkey's plonkers as my mate called them ! When he set out to work a stint, he always used to take clean, wet facecloth in a poly bag). Never asked him what he would do if he wanted the toilet. Another thing, they never worried about being robbed. B.

2 minutes ago, Stuart.C said:

Had a look at the link Stuart, thank you, but don't think I'd buy one from him. Wonder how much they are nowadays. Have no idea where the Ocean is so can't comment, and I don't mean the seaside !!

The reason I mentioned hygiene was that many years ago there was a Hot Dog Seller pitched outside of Boltons Burnden Park, with a permanent "dewdrop" hanging from his nose. Never  saw him again after a gang of Chelsea fans pushed his cart over. Perhaps they thought they were performing a public service?, Not!.. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

As a kid 30th of October was "Mischievious Night" long before Halloween had any prominence.

Who remembers "spirit knocking" by tieing cotton to someone's door knocker hiding nearby and using the cotton to knock on the door?

Of course when they opened it there was no one there. Wait a while and do it again, then again and being given away by giggling and getting the usual response "If I catch you little boggers I'll bat yer tabs"

Lighting bangers until they fizzed and then dropping them in the sewer hoping they would find a pocket of methane and lift all the manhole covers in the street with a massive bang.

Lifting gates off their hinges and putting them in the gardens, draping toilet paper on  trees in  gardens.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2019 at 10:50 AM, Oztalgian said:

Who remembers "spirit knocking"

Rememebr it?! If you want to work for the delivery company "Yodel" it is a compulsory skill!

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Stuart.C said:

I don't know where on James st they were, but looking at shop styles I'd say one of these, no butchers on there anywhere;

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.9971907,-1.2576492,3a,75y,158.19h,81.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s913OvUaMFKr5CFxK805DRw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Is Woodcocks butchers still in Kimberley they were onJames st. It was a family business handed down through at least 3 generations the last one i remember was Ron Woodcock before i went to Canada in 1970.

Thanks for street view of James st.i would guess the shop would have been where the Eatz shop is on the left hand side going up James st.i noticed on the map further up James st.is Arthur Plumbs shop he seems to keep nicknacks you cant find anywhere else he also has wealth of history of Kimberley/Awesworth area especially the old railway system.

On 10/30/2019 at 10:48 AM, Brew said:

Whatever happened to proper butchers shops!

Come and visit us at Jacksdale Main Rd   

"" Paul & Shelia "   excellent REAL BUTCHER 

any size or cut of meat you want Paul Shipley will always give 100% customer service 

All his pies /sausage rolls pork pies all home made come and try his ham joints Thursday if you get there in time they are still warm.

also try Paul's roast ham it's to die for.