Whatever happened to......?

When our own children were young, we NEVER went to a cafe or restaurant because we didn't have the money to do so.  I'm amazed that so many people with small children  can now afford to eat out - even if it's only at Wetherspoon's...    Now  I come to think of it,  I never went to a cafe or restaurant with my parents - the first cafe I ever went in was in Mansfield;  I went with some friends to have mushrooms on toast when I was about 18.  It felt quite decadent ....

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I completely agree with you CliffTon.  I still find this new set-up a real pain, having to scroll down looking for a topic I want to read and seeing pages of Word Games.   I used to spend a lot o

I'm the first to agree we need "banter" (whatever it is).  If the site was only about Nottingham and absolutely nothing else, it would become a bit academic and serious and only suitable for anoraks.

CliffTon ........ really enjoyed his photos and posts

Fortunately for me, some might say, I lived with my grandparents who owned a cafe, so I had the pleasure of eating what i fancied. But i agree with you, how can people with large families afford to eat out with today's prices

Little Chef, mainly on the A roads and much better value than Fortes or the others on the motorways, after the Olympic breakfast you never needed lunch.

If memory serves me correctly there was quite a few along the A1. The one at Doncaster was always a good breakfast after an early start heading north.

• 5 weeks later...

On this topic, does anyone know if Mick 2me is still running the site, or done a runner ?  I liked his occasional inputs.

loppylugs I can understand your views regarding Facebook, despite all the stories about it , there are many sites which are very interesting with photos and memories about Nottingham. "Nottingham way back when" is one which I visit regularly and find it very informative. There are also many others.

• Like 4

My wife is on it Trogg.  So if I really want to I can see stuff there so my attitude sounds a bit hypocritical.  I just don't like the cynical way in which they seem to use their subscribers to gain advertising revenue.

• Like 1

Don't like the format of the modern internet, for me the 'Golden era' was pre broadband..Although 2006 to 2010.. will probably be remembered as the best historically.

Loss of interaction between individual blog's was a major blow for me..

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To go with democracy should be the disappearance of diplomacy and statesmanship. Who in the motley collection of world leaders at present could be described as a democrat, a  diplomat or a statesman?

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Dark Angel said:

Democracy.

4 hours ago, jonab said:

To go with democracy should be the disappearance of diplomacy and statesmanship. Who in the motley collection of world leaders at present could be described as a democrat, a  diplomat or a statesman?

It rather depends on your definitions and point of view. Many will agree with you, many will not

6 hours ago, jonab said:

Sadly, that is very true. The only candidate I could put forward would be Angela Merkel.