Compo

Whatever happened to......?

Whatever happened to proper butchers shops!

As a kid 30th of October was "Mischievious Night" long before Halloween had any prominence.

Who remembers "spirit knocking" by tieing cotton to someone's door knocker hiding nearby and using the cotton to knock on the door?

Of course when they opened it there was no one there. Wait a while and do it again, then again and being given away by giggling and getting the usual response "If I catch you little boggers I'll bat yer tabs"

Lighting bangers until they fizzed and then dropping them in the sewer hoping they would find a pocket of methane and lift all the manhole covers in the street with a massive bang.

Lifting gates off their hinges and putting them in the gardens, draping toilet paper on  trees in  gardens.

• Like 1

Two proper butcher's shops in nearby Southwell. Hockerton, Gonalston and Farndon farm shops have them and there's one to die for at Pennell's garden centre at Hykeham. Well worth the trip out.

On 10/30/2019 at 10:50 AM, Oztalgian said:

Who remembers "spirit knocking"

Rememebr it?! If you want to work for the delivery company "Yodel" it is a compulsory skill!

• Like 2

Is Woodcocks butchers still in Kimberley they were onJames st. It was a family business handed down through at least 3 generations the last one i remember was Ron Woodcock before i went to Canada in 1970.

5 hours ago, Stuart.C said:

I don't know where on James st they were, but looking at shop styles I'd say one of these, no butchers on there anywhere;

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.9971907,-1.2576492,3a,75y,158.19h,81.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s913OvUaMFKr5CFxK805DRw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Is Woodcocks butchers still in Kimberley they were onJames st. It was a family business handed down through at least 3 generations the last one i remember was Ron Woodcock before i went to Canada in 1970.

Thanks for street view of James st.i would guess the shop would have been where the Eatz shop is on the left hand side going up James st.i noticed on the map further up James st.is Arthur Plumbs shop he seems to keep nicknacks you cant find anywhere else he also has wealth of history of Kimberley/Awesworth area especially the old railway system.

On 10/30/2019 at 10:48 AM, Brew said:

Whatever happened to proper butchers shops!

Come and visit us at Jacksdale Main Rd   

"" Paul & Shelia "   excellent REAL BUTCHER 

any size or cut of meat you want Paul Shipley will always give 100% customer service 

All his pies /sausage rolls pork pies all home made come and try his ham joints Thursday if you get there in time they are still warm.

also try Paul's roast ham it's to die for.

5 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

Come and visit us at Jacksdale Main Rd   

That's not too far away Mary I'll give it a go at the weekend, thanks

Woodcock's are no longer in business but Ron Woodcock works for Barlows butchers in Newthorpe, another first rate shop. Been going there for nearly ten years and not been less than totally satisfied with anything purchased yet.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information woody next time you are in Barlows and you see Ron ask him if he remenbers Ian Finn i knew his brother Mick and his dad Syd i seviced their Bedford home delivery van at John Finn Ltd at Watnall,send me a link of black pudding lol.

13 hours ago, woody said:

Woodcock's are no longer in business but Ron Woodcock works for Barlows butchers in Newthorpe, another first rate shop. Been going there for nearly ten years and not been less than totally satisfied with anything purchased yet.

see my message to brew 

take s trip to Jacksdale "Paul & Shelia Shipley" main st 

A REAL BUTCHER 

In the sixties was there a pub in the city centre which had a "music hall" downstairs. I was chatting on line with my friend who is a Nottingham native and he said I was imagining it. Whether I am right or wrong I am sure someone on here will know.

Gem, pure guesswork  on my behalf..The Old Malt Cross, I know St James's St really well..but when friends mention it I have no recollection!

Edit...the Palais?

Which leads me to a question?

Those with more life experience, where did you enter the palais?

When I attended the Metal Mickey Rock Disco from about 1982, take your pick Monday nights, Friday nights & Saturday afternoons it was always the Covent St end. Very basic, Set of stairs with a table and a till.

In the late 90's the entrance was just left of the main upstairs entrance, with what to me, appeared an old dedicated kiosk.

This was hidden behind fire escape doors in 1982.

Had a chat with my mate Dawson & he told me his lad got a first class honours degree from University after three years of hard graft. 

Dawson happy as Larry. Not bad for a Nottm born fork lift driver producing a brainy son..! 

• Like 7

Anyone who comes away with a first deserves credit so well done that man...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Well done Dawson Junior :victory: 

• Like 1

What ever happened to FLY2 ?

Been absent awhile, not been in the silly word games either.

Not a question I thought you would ask Catfan given your associations. Suffice to say we should draw a veil over the answer lest we open a can of worms and start a war.

Maybe, just maybe, he went into Spider's  parlour.

Also rather concerned about Ben. Whose parlour has he wandered into...and when is she going to let him go?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Brew said:

Not a question I thought you would ask Catfan given your associations. Suffice to say we should draw a veil over the answer lest we open a can of worms and start a war.

Or maybe finish one.

I just had a message from Ben, he is just giving Nottstalgia a miss for a bit ,but sends his regards to everyone especially the Ladies. He dose not change dose he.

• Like 5