Compo

Whatever happened to......?

www.doyouremember.co.uk/memory/clarks-polyvelts

A fashion accessory sported by the majority of the teacher's at my school..

Along with the leather elbow pads on the tweed Jackets. Could you buy jackets like this? Or did they sew them on themselves? :(

The patch idea originated in Universities. Poorly paid professors sewed patches onto their tweed jackets as they wore out, in order to make them last longer. During the early 20th century manufacturers began to make the jackets with ready sewn patches. [Source: a number of different history sites]

Does anyone know where Bryden Street was? It's no longer in existence but I came across it when researching recently.  Might CT have a map showing its location?

...just happened to be passing here.

i can't see a Bryden Street anywhere in any of the lists or maps I usually look at.  What date did it exist ?   Approximate area ?

Could it be Dryden Street ? (which still exists)

Could it be Boden street Jill?

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

1901 census. Handwritten but looks like Bryden. I will have another look.

Handwritten in that ornate Victorian style, where a D could easily look like a B  :)

There's no Bryden Street in my 1960 Burrows map of Nottingham, but there is a Dryden street.

Thanks for checking, Compo. I will have another look. The family I was looking at had moved by 1911 to Clipstone Avenue, near Peel Street. Still there but looks to have been redeveloped.  It's a strange tale, involving what looks like bigamy, with links to Berridge Road School!

Whatever happened to,  children behaving in restaurants ? It seems like kids can refuse their food because the game on the phone/tablet is more important. Or they can run around willy nilly. In my day, and no doubt in yours, you got taken out for a meal and had to behave. Discipline has gone out of the window it seems.

• Like 1

Waddo,  some children behave when they're eating out.  Our grandchildren do and they're not the only ones I've seen.   Perhaps we only tend to notice the badly behaved ones?

Margie, it's nice to know that there is some decorum, unfortunately i have not come across it these last few years. I still say that moral standards on the whole have declined as far as children in restaurants are concerned. Good on you for bringing your children up correctly, and that's been passed on. And know, i am not being patronizing, just sincere.

When our own children were young, we NEVER went to a cafe or restaurant because we didn't have the money to do so.  I'm amazed that so many people with small children  can now afford to eat out - even if it's only at Wetherspoon's...    Now  I come to think of it,  I never went to a cafe or restaurant with my parents - the first cafe I ever went in was in Mansfield;  I went with some friends to have mushrooms on toast when I was about 18.  It felt quite decadent ....

When we take our kids out for a meal their manners are impeccable. They are in their 30’s though! The only thing that irks me is that they never offer to pay. :biggrin:

• Like 1

Fortunately for me, some might say, I lived with my grandparents who owned a cafe, so I had the pleasure of eating what i fancied. But i agree with you, how can people with large families afford to eat out with today's prices

I miss the Little Chef’s. A friend of mine who ran a substantial company would always have beans on toast for his evening meal. This rather p****d off his wife. However, at weekends he always took her to a Little Chef for a special treat!

Didn't even realise that Little Chefs were no longer trading!!

As far as I can see from their website there are only 5 left. Certainly none round these parts. I always enjoyed a Little Chef breakfast when I had an early start for a distant business meeting.

I used to like Wimpeys.

Little Chef, mainly on the A roads and much better value than Fortes or the others on the motorways, after the Olympic breakfast you never needed lunch.

If memory serves me correctly there was quite a few along the A1. The one at Doncaster was always a good breakfast after an early start heading north.

On this topic, does anyone know if Mick 2me is still running the site, or done a runner ?  I liked his occasional inputs.

He's still around and occasionally visits, but he's mainly occupied with other things these days.

If he wasn't still here, Nottstalgia wouldn't be here.