I can't understand why on certain products it states they should be kept in a fridge but when you buy them that aren't in any cool place - just on the normal shelves. Things such as eggs and some fruit like grapes.

Is there any 'normal thing' that you find no reason for?

I don't know why things such as carrots,potatoes, parsnips and such are put into polythene bags still wet,don't they know it makes them go off.Also why do supermarkets put potatoes in too much light and they go green,they used to be kept cool and in a dark place when we had corner shops.

I agree with the polythene bags and veg problem,they are kept in cold store and put on the shelves in the shop at room temperature,the veg or fruit get covered in condensation and start to go off,they last just a couple of days when you get them home,much better to buy fresh from a market or the farm shops,grasping supermarkets

Rog

"Grasping supermarkets"  is right Rog.   

There must be good money in groceries if the number of stores going into that market is anything to go by.

Wal -Mart started out as a low priced department store.  Then they added groceries.  That now seems to be the biggest part of their business.  Numerous others are building all over the place.  I doubt they'd bother doing that unless there was some good profit in it..

True Loppy,the thing is everyone needs food and the graspers know that, therefore charge what they want,quality counts for nothing in the fresh food industry,our fresh veg bought on a Friday from the supermarket is going soft by Sunday and more or less inedible by Tuesday, much better to buy from the allotment holders or local farmers in quantities you want not in polythene bags of twenty carrots,twenty parsnips etc,why would me and Mrs P want to get through twenty carrots between us in two days for goodness sake and I don't like to throw food away,I have thought about taking the veg we buy on Friday back to the supermarket on Monday when it has gone soft or started to rot to see what their reaction would be but Mrs P is too polite and quiet to go with me

Rog

• Upvote 1

I used to know a supermarket Manager when we lived in Sacramento Dave, he surprised me, he told me they mark up fresh produce 100%, that allows for wastage etc.

Over here Loppy farmers are always bleating about making no money ! I don't see many farmers driving old bangers around normally expensive top of the range 4x4s. They seem to think that the more they moan more people will believe them, I for one don't !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

#9   Can't disagree with you Mick.  I've known a few well to do farmers.  It can be risky though.  You put out a ton of money for seed, fertilizer etc.  A bad drought or frost can wipe out that investment.  If you are raising livestock bad conditions can affect your ability or cost to feed them.  Then there is always the risk of disease wiping you out.  The farmers I knew in Canada had a huge investment in machinery, which also cost them plenty to fix usually in the winter when they couldn't work outside.  A lad who is new to farming probably starts out with some big loans for all he needs.  If things go bad the bank will put a padlock on the door quick.  The supermarket, by comparison may have a big investment in real estate but an outfit like wal-mart can carry that easily.  They can pretty much dictate to their suppliers what they will pay for the product and if the seller wants their business he pretty much has to comply.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm neither a farmer or a store owner just my five cents worth as I've seen both sides.  slywink

• Upvote 1

Back in the "old days" before the supermarkets, the grocery shops sold fresh fruit and veg and it lasted and tasted much longer than the chilled,stored in coolers for weeks/months on end before the consumer gets their hands on it supermarket rubbish,today it's all about making a quick quid to satisfy the shareholders,stuff the customer,trouble is everything you need is under one roof which is more convenient in todays "haven't got time" culture,I think if we all slowed down a bit and took the time and trouble to use the smaller food outlets/family run shops we would all benefit from fresher,longer lasting foodstuffs,but,it won't happen we have created the monster and now it runs our lives,I enjoy looking and buying fresh fruit and veg from these Asian stores when I'm in Leicester and parts of Nottingham,you know the stuff is fresh and you are always served by a friendly smiling shop owner or assistant instead of someone stuck behind a conveyor belt with that annoying beep,beep everytime the good pass over a flickering sensor.Just my thoughts of course

Rog

• Upvote 4

Yes I agree with you plantfit

It use to be that you had fruit and veg that was in season, now like you say it's all about making money.

What has happened to the Harvest Festival's that we used to have? do we still have them?

Mary, you and others here must remember the annual Harvest Festivals that we used to have at School, when the kids brought food of various kinds that was displayed at the front of assembly. We all sang the above hymn. We didn't look or sound like these, but as it is a lovely rendition of the hymn I have used it as an illustration.

• Upvote 2

I should imagine in some areas today the kids would take a McDonalds burger and a pot noodle to the harvest festival,a lot of our young people have never seen fresh fruit and veg,such a sorry world we live in

Rog

• Upvote 2

Lovely Hymn Chulla and another Harvest Festival favourite of many of us 'We plough the fields and scatter.'  I can smell the fruit and veg in Gedling Church as we speak. The memory of us all filing round from 'All Hallows' for the service.

Memories that are still very strong after some 60 odd yrs.

• Upvote 2

I remember going with me mam on shopping trips in Netherfield in the early fifties.  She went most days as we did not have a 'frig.  Green grocers.  Butchers,. Marsdens or Co-op for butter cheese etc.. Co-op hardware sometimes.  chemists, probably others but you get the picture.  Friendly reception at all of them.  Very little wasted on fancy packaging.  Our dustbin was rarely half full in any week.

Seems like things are more convenient today, but somewhere along the way we've lost the art of really living.  I suspect many of our medical ills are caused by the many additives to what used to be real food.  Antibiotics in chicken and other meats to make 'em fatter and prevent disease in factory farming  operations, just so the producer and middleman can rake in more profit.

I'm not a vegetarian but it makes you move in that direction.

• Upvote 1

We still have a Harvest Festival at our. Church, where the church is decorated a bit with fruit and veg, but also a table with dried foods like flour and pasta, jars and tinned goods because afterwards, everything gets taken to both the Night Shelter in Cambridge and our local Food Bank in the village.  They appreciate some fresh food but also the other stuff.  I suppose all our food is a harvest of something, somewhere..  The  Night Shelter often says it prefers non perishable foodstuffs because other churches and groups  supply them as well and they don't need a surfeit of fruit and veg which may spoil too quickly.

• Upvote 1

At our Harvest Festival  (St Ann's Church) we all took produce from our garden after the service it was taken to the old folks homes.  Nobody ever brought tins or cans, but I expect this is now the norm as veg would go off very quickly. I think its a good thing to help the homeless as you never know what the future hold's.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...