General Cemetery Canning Circus & Alfreton Rd.

Nottinghamshire Family History Society may be able to help.  They have data bases on Memorial Inscriptions for the General Cemetery and the Church (Rock) Cemetery - and others.  They are at the Galleries of Justice on Thursdays and Fridays 10.15am to 12.30pm.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But, I repeat... it's not the dead who can harm you!    I suppose that being a nurse, I saw - and attended to - several dead bodies, so it really doesn't worry me at all.   I saw my first deceased per

Might be of interest       Rog

Nice sentiments Margie.......when my mother passed i was holding her in my arms and singing Mr Sandman''...i felt her presence leave the room,, Donna felt it too,,strange,, but in a way beautiful.....

They have informed me at the Library on Angel Row that everything appertaining to grave positions and burial info. for General Cemetery is available at Wilford Hill. There is also someone, nothing to do with Wilford Hill, that has documented all the positions and 'occupants' of all the graves. This person, whoever it is apparently will show to the grave at a mutually convenient time. I have gone no further with it yet due to shortage of time. I have a couple of family(?) graves in there that I can't find as of yet.

If you walk down the path that leads down from the Canning Circus entrance down to Waverley Street, the boundary wall on your right has the 'rows' of the graves painted on. Unfortunately it is all in such a poor state that it is almost impossible to follow the rows through.

That's it, Wilford Hill !   Now you've reminded me. That's where they keep information about all the cemeteries in the city, and where I got my General Cemetery map from.

Contact them here    https://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/births-deaths-marriages/deaths-and-stillbirths/cemeteries-crematorium-burial-grounds/#cemeteries

You should be able to get the map from Central Library, Angel Row. Pretty sure that's where mine came from.

This is the info I have been given Plot 15006 at The General Cemetery Nottingham. The dates are when they were buried. Arthur Jordan. 24 - 09 - 1935. Gertrude Jordan. 24 - 05 - 1917. Elizabeth Lambert. 04 - 02 - 1905. Albert Wm. Carley 14 - 07 - 1884. Lucy Harriet Hough 11 - 03 - 1868 Gertrude was my grandfathers sister and Arthur her husband. No idea at all who the others are and why they're in the same plot. I'd like to find the grave as I doubt it's been visitted in 70 years or more. This as all come about as I am working on a project to do with the letters my Grandfather Harold Priestley wrote home from the front in WW1. He writes how he is heartbroken when his sister, Gertrude dies and he can't get leave to come home and bury her. He was killed towards the end of the war.

Thanks all.

On 2017-6-10 at 6:47 AM, letsavagoo said:

I'd like to find the grave as I doubt it's been visited in 70 years or more.

That might make things difficult for you.

From personal experience I know that in some cemeteries, if the authorities see that a grave seems to be neglected and hasn't been visited for a long time, they stop mowing the grass around the grave and start mowing over it. In other words, it will gradually disappear back into the undergrowth and all trace of it will be gone.

Thanks Cliff Ton.

Well that is as far as I know, no one has visited that is but I'm finding relations on my fathers side I never knew I had. In any case if I had a plan I'd have a chance of getting close. I'm going to have a go if I can. There a chance there is a head stone although there was no money in the family.

Just had a quick look on BMDs to see if the other names were connected but can't see anything obvious .

There is a death notice though in the Post for Arthur Jordan in 1935 and it gives wifes name as Martha .

Theres a marriage in 1920 for an Arthur Jordan to a Martha M Purden . Noble of her to bury him with his previous wife ?

This is a useful site, there is a free search available but best to sign up.
Voucher prices start at £5. Details cost from £1.50 to £2.00 per. plot.

https://www.deceasedonline.com

Records for the following sites are currently available on Deceased Online:

Rock aka Church Cemetery, opened 1850
Basford Cemetery, opened 1970
General Cemetery, opened 1838
High Wood Cemetery, opened 2006
Northern Cemetery (Bulwell), opened 1903
Southern Cemetery (Wilford Hill), opened 1919
Wilford Hill Crematorium, opened 1931

The records available comprise the following:

Scans of the original registers (until the 1990's when replaced by computerised records, dates vary by site)
Computerised register records (from the 1990's, dates vary by site)
Grave details indicating all those buried within each grave
Maps indicating the section of a cemetery where graves are located
Maps for General Cemetery feature more details with the exact location of each grave
Maps indicating scattering locations of ashes in the crematorium

• Upvote 3

My mother-in-law's family is buried in the General Cemetery. Somewhere in our bits of paper we found after her death, is the receipt for the plot there. It cost 6 guineas and holds 5 caskets, one on top if the other. I am assuming that the purchaser of the plot had to name the 5 going in there at the time of purchase. Her father was the last to go in, in 1979. If that is the case, it would be why Martha Jordan made sure Arthur was buried with his 1st wife.

• Upvote 1
25 minutes ago, Creeky said:

This is a useful site, there is a free search available but best to sign up.
Voucher prices start at £5. Details cost from £1.50 to £2.00 per. plot.

https://www.deceasedonline.com

Thanks. That seems quite good

My grandmother was buried in the General Cemetery. I visited Nottingham Archives. The grave records are there and they have a set of huge maps of the grave plan with numbers on. Use of the archive service is free. There was a period of time when the graveyard was neglected and a tarmac path was put over some graves that did not have headstones. Many of the graves do not have headstones so it is hard to find a specific plot when you visit.

15 hours ago, DAVIDW said:

Just had a quick look on BMDs to see if the other names were connected but can't see anything obvious .

There is a death notice though in the Post for Arthur Jordan in 1935 and it gives wifes name as Martha .

Theres a marriage in 1920 for an Arthur Jordan to a Martha M Purden . Noble of her to bury him with his previous wife ?

Thank for that DavidW.

He was by what I can make out, a bit of a sod to our Gerty so maybe Martha was glad to give him back.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

Something to do with "A" sounding like as in Hay or the one you want sounding like as in apple,there is a name for it but not sure what it is

Rog

Just catching up and now inspired to look up Northern Cemetery. I have letters stating my great grandmother was buried at Bullwell in 1932. Do graves get maintained if there is no renewal fee paid? My second lazy question, I had family in Brassey Street Radford in 1901 census ( grandfather) I know it has gone, what is that area now if I saw a modern map? When I start to research I get very distracted and sidetracked!

Thinking  of those members affected by current hurricanes!

1 hour ago, Jodi said:

I had family in Brassey Street Radford in 1901 census ( grandfather) I know it has gone, what is that area now if I saw a modern map? When I start to research I get very distracted and sidetracked!

Brassey Street was off Alfreton Road near the junction with Peveril Street. It disappeared when that area was cleared in the early 60s.

V3Swlvn.jpg

• Upvote 1

I know I'm always saying it, but it looks a lot better than what replaced it. If the money spent on redevelopment had been made available for home improvement grants, those houses would have stood the test of time far better than the concrete- inspired rubbish that replaced them.

• Upvote 1