General Cemetery Canning Circus & Alfreton Rd.

Great picture of earlier days. Family also lived in Pelican street, Clapham road and something I cannot find, but on the census as Cross Yard.  Was/is Narrow Marsh(?) near that area? I do get taken off on tangents by pictures.

I found old photos on various sites,some amazing history must have been cleared. I suppose in such an old city, there are archeological sites being explored. I know in the Melbourne museum there is an excellent display from the dig site from the middle of the city from a 'slum clearance', and that city has had less than 300 years of European settlement. On line museums now on my list.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But, I repeat... it's not the dead who can harm you!    I suppose that being a nurse, I saw - and attended to - several dead bodies, so it really doesn't worry me at all.   I saw my first deceased per

Might be of interest       Rog

Nice sentiments Margie.......when my mother passed i was holding her in my arms and singing Mr Sandman''...i felt her presence leave the room,, Donna felt it too,,strange,, but in a way beautiful.....

Nottingham has a city archaeologist! Roman digs, medieval dig at confetti college and, my favourite, open days digs at Nottingham castle!  Love looking at this info from my kitchen table from the other side of the world...

• Upvote 3

Mine were at 11 Pelican Street in that year. The adults were Robert and Elizabeth Corpe.

There is a long-running theory that everyone on Nottstalgia is ultimately related or connected to several other people on the site.  This might be another example.

• Like 2

I think I agree with that theory. On my first posting  Jill found a family connection..

Living in a country with a huge migration history my maternal and paternal lines go back a long way in the UK.  The more recent branches include Germany, Thailand and New Zealand! This is providing me with hours of time sitting at the computer, I probably should sit on an exercise machine while I do it!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

A sad indictment of modern times. What do we do with historic cemeteries? Monuments that no one visits, but so much history.

I am currently watching the cremation of the late King of Thailand, a bit of a contrast!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I went to the General Cemetery one November afternoon looking for relatives’ graves at the behest of my Australian cousin who was researching family history. As dusk began to fall it became quite eerie and I finished up running towards the exit. I don’t scare easily but the atmosphere was distinctly spooky!

Phil, It's not the dead you need to fear.... it's only the living who can hurt you!  But perhaps there were living people there who had made their 'home' amongst the graves and you sensed their presence?

• Like 1

But, I repeat... it's not the dead who can harm you!    I suppose that being a nurse, I saw - and attended to - several dead bodies, so it really doesn't worry me at all.   I saw my first deceased person when I was about 10..... my dad took me round to 'pay our respects' to our deceased next door neighbour who was being kept in the house instead of the funeral parlour.  There were lighted candles surrounding his bed  and that fascinated me more than the body!  I was also taken to see an auntie who died - she was also being kept at home in her coffin.   My parents both died in our house as well - dad's death was sudden, but mum's gave us a bit more time to prepare ourselves (mum as well as my brother and myself)

Have you ever been in hospital?   There's a chance that the bed you are using there once held someone who has died!   

I know that while being alongside someone who dies, there is a real sense that they have 'gone'.  They don't look as if they're just sleeping!   The person you knew (and loved)  has left!

Our earthly life is a terminal condition - it doesn't matter how healthily you eat, or how many 'steps' you do each day,  it'll get all of us in the end!    Just live each day in the best and kindest way you can and try to have no regrets.

Don't know why I've written all this....... but it is in the graveyard topic.!

• Like 8

Nice sentiments Margie.......when my mother passed i was holding her in my arms and singing Mr Sandman''...i felt her presence leave the room,, Donna felt it too,,strange,, but in a way beautiful..........

• Like 4

Many years ago it was said that a NCT bus driver picked a passenger up one night in the pouring rain & when he boarded the bus he climbed the stairs to the top deck. When the conductor went to collect his fare the mysterious passenger had vanished.

On closer inspection the passenger had not left any footprints on the bus.

Mind you he was picked up by the Rock Cemetery.!

• Like 1

Back to the subject of death.......  it's just come to me in a real wave of emotion that I was being insensitive when I wrote my last post as, to some on here, the loss of a loved one may still feel very raw.  I apologise if I came across as almost flippant about death - as though the inevitability of it makes it unimportant.   This really was not my intention - I know that a death leaves a 'hole' in your life that can never really be completely filled with anything else.... and although, in time, the edges of the hole may feel less raw, it's still there.  Please forgive me if my words came across to you as uncaring xx

• Like 3

A perfectly natural thing to happen Margie, death comes to us all, I've been to funerals & had a right good laugh, just what the deceased would have wanted.

Death  comes to us all one day.

• Like 3