Sign in to follow this  
Kendaldrac

General Cemetery Canning Circus & Alfreton Rd.

Jodi    22

Great picture of earlier days. Family also lived in Pelican street, Clapham road and something I cannot find, but on the census as Cross Yard.  Was/is Narrow Marsh(?) near that area? I do get taken off on tangents by pictures.

I found old photos on various sites,some amazing history must have been cleared. I suppose in such an old city, there are archeological sites being explored. I know in the Melbourne museum there is an excellent display from the dig site from the middle of the city from a 'slum clearance', and that city has had less than 300 years of European settlement. On line museums now on my list.

Jodi    22

Nottingham has a city archaeologist! Roman digs, medieval dig at confetti college and, my favourite, open days digs at Nottingham castle!  Love looking at this info from my kitchen table from the other side of the world...

• Upvote 3

Cliff Ton    5,492
7 hours ago, Jodi said:

Family also lived in Pelican street,

What years ?    I had relatives on Pelican Street in the 1880s. My grandad's grandfather.

Jodi    22

Just checked, in 1881 census my great great grandmother and her children were in 23 Pelican street, she was on that as Harriet Hall, she had been married to James Jackson. One of her sons, Thomas, was my great grandfather.

Cliff Ton    5,492

Mine were at 11 Pelican Street in that year. The adults were Robert and Elizabeth Corpe.

There is a long-running theory that everyone on Nottstalgia is ultimately related or connected to several other people on the site.  This might be another example.

• Like 1

Jodi    22

I think I agree with that theory. On my first posting  Jill found a family connection..

Living in a country with a huge migration history my maternal and paternal lines go back a long way in the UK.  The more recent branches include Germany, Thailand and New Zealand! This is providing me with hours of time sitting at the computer, I probably should sit on an exercise machine while I do it!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1