1966 Triumph Tiger 90. Cost as built £291/6/4d With extras: Rev counter, quick release rear wheel, prop stand, pillion footrests and steering lock Total purchase price inc. tax £309/10/5d

35082786491_9c6cf0ffa4_c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

..............or in 1966 you could have a BSA 175cc Bantam for just £142/0/6d:

35082821801_a271fb36ee_c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

1966 Tiger 90, Road Tax at 8 quid a year, twice my weekly wage as a first year apprentice.

My first bike was a second hand BSA C15 it was very prone to oil leaks and electrical problems.

Question? How do you design a British motor bike of the 1950's and 60's

Answer - Start with an oil leak

• Upvote 1

As a kid I was given a 1920s Scott Squirrel to learn on. It needed fettling and I got it to work well.

In those days it had little value and I chopped it in for a '59 T3A which was a great machine.

After that a Matchless and then a Lambretta.

Oztalgian #4: I worked with a bloke who had a C15.  We used to say that he could get drunk and always find his way home - by following the oil trail he left on his way to the pub! 

:rotfl:

• Upvote 1

Compo,you don't happen to have any "Castrol lubrication chart" do you,I can remember sending off to Castrol for them back in the 60's you could get them for cars and motor cycles,it was a fold out chart with a schematic of the vehicle of your choice with arrows pointing to the different parts of the vehicle leading you to a description of the type of lubrication you needed,ie,engine oil,gear oil,back axle etc,they were free of charge and in the envelope with them was a sticker for you car window with all the different road sign symbols on,mainly in triangles

Rog

• 11 months later...

https://ibb.co/hk03rT

Yours truly with a Norton. I always identified with the rockers rather than the scooter (pansy wagon) crowd but in truth was never really part of it.

Always a Brit bike fan until someone let me ride a Yamaha 750 triple, after that it's a whole different story.

• Like 2

Brew,  I always preferred the motorbike boys to those with scooters (despite the photo somewhere on the site of me sitting on a scooter!).  And then I met Paul who used to have a scooter before we met...  but luckily he'd moved on to cars by then.    

Nice photo btw

On 6/10/2017 at 11:36 PM, catfan said:

Very popular bikes at the time for L riders !

And the gpo

• Like 1
On 5/25/2018 at 8:31 PM, Brew said:

https://ibb.co/hk03rT

Yours truly with a Norton. I always identified with the rockers rather than the scooter (pansy wagon) crowd but in truth was never really part of it.

Always a Brit bike fan until someone let me ride a Yamaha 750 triple, after that it's a whole different story.

Looks like a Norton Jubilee 250cc ?

I had one stuck in the back of the garage - every now and again I would dig it out, spend 10 minutes kicking it over, but it never fired up once !! - swapped it for a Panther 600cc combo.

• Like 2

Spot on Roger. For some reason the points were always slipping so one day I took them out to have a look see. Hah, during the night some bugger nicked it, pushed it about two miles before abandoning it in a field when they realised it wouldn't start.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Hands up all those who had clip-ons and now have bad backs! :)

• Like 1
On 6/11/2017 at 10:56 AM, plantfit said:

Compo,you don't happen to have any "Castrol lubrication chart" do you,

Sorry Rog, I missed this post but the answer is no, I don't have one but there aer some on eBay: Here's one for an Oxford....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Castrol-Oil-Lubrication-Wall-Chart-Morris-Oxford-Series-MO/382490585493?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20170907081254%26meid%3D05bb38a7e27e4d1c851bdcba3d2f3a2a%26pid%3D100281%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D3%26%26itm%3D382490585493&_trksid=p2045573.c100281.m3567

Me Compo. See above pic, Catfan spotted them and commented, only a 'proper chap' would know what they are.  ;)

The SU carb on Super Nero needed bigger jets than those available at the time. George's solution? A quarter inch drill down the jet tube!
 I believe that it drank a mix of methanol and nitro-methane at around about ¼mpg. Not a good carbon footprint!!!!

my twin gps on my triumph sidecar had the main jets drilled to5/32" it does around 9 mpg, great times my passenger lives on Benbecula in the outer Hebrides hows that for commitment

• Like 1

it used to be a good run for him when we did Lyyden Hill near Dover,took him 2 days to get there

• 2 weeks later...