Hi all, just joined and great to find a forum to share memories. I grew up at Clifton, moved in as a babe in arms in 1952/3 when the estate was in it's infancy and went to Greencroft infants and juniors, then ended up at Clifton Hall. I've got loads of memories-going to the library in a mobile hut in a field at the bottom of Southchurch drive,, playing and making dens on the waste ground behind Varney Road Co-op and bravely venturing all the way across Southchurch Drive to a park that had a ride like a horse with lots of seats. Also lots of memories to share of Greencroft from 1957 to 1963, maybe even a few old class photos

Welcome Shaza.  You seem to have quite a bit in common with me (although I may be a couple of years younger than you).

I knew Varney Road Co-op; I went to Greencroft Infants & Junior School; my sister went to Clifton Hall; we lived on Woodbridge Avenue.

If you haven't already had a dig around Nottstalgia, you'll find several threads which include some of the subjects you've mentioned.

Welcome to The Forum Shaza, you'll find stacks of stuff on here to awaken your memories, and we really look forward to sharing yours and lets see those old class photos if you can, I have absolutely no idea how to do that!

Welcome to NS, Shaza. I'm sure you'll enjoy the site.

Didn't know you had lived on Woodbridge Avenue, CT. Did you know the Hirst family who also lived there? Ray and Kathleen Hirst with their 2 sons, Timothy and Nicholas? Tim was the eldest,born around 1957/8.

Well, well! Kathleen's mother lived next door to us throughout my childhood and my mother's before me. My mum and Kathleen were best friends from an early age. I remember going to visit them at Clifton.

Kath and Ray moved to Wollaton in the 70s and retired to Scarborough where they both died. Timothy ended up as vice chancellor of Sydney University! Kathleen was an ex Manning girl.

As you say, small world.

• 11 months later...
On 6/10/2017 at 11:37 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

Did you know the Hirst family who also lived there? Ray and Kathleen Hirst with their 2 sons, Timothy and Nicholas? Tim was the eldest,born around 1957/8.

On 6/10/2017 at 4:00 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

Well, well! Kathleen's mother lived next door to us throughout my childhood and my mother's before me. My mum and Kathleen were best friends from an early age. I remember going to visit them at Clifton.

I saw this recently on a Facebook page for ex-Clifton types. The person who posted the photo named most of the pupils in it and apparently this is Timothy Hirst, around 1967-68. I wouldn't have recognised him, but it might ring a few bells with you.

3aDPBnI.jpg