Baby Boomers' Guide To Growing Old

The above is a new documentary series starting on channel More4 tomorrow (Tuesday 13th June) at 10pm. It's got a recommendation in the Radio Times and could be of interest to a lot of members on the forum. I don't think it is serious all the time.

I didn't get back fro the north west coast until after ten but I may have recorded it - I'll set my elderly mind to work and see if I can find it on the video recorder :)  thanks for the reminder.

• 3 months later...

Nothing much changes even over three thousand years.  Just preached on Psalm three this morning.  David's lament over his troubles.  When you read the background in 2nd Samuel 12 and following chapters.  You see David was in trouble for adultery and murder.  He has a couple of sons by different wives.  Son number 1 Amnon. fancies the sister of brother number 2. Absalom. So he rapes her.  Daddy does nothing so after two years son number 2 murders him.  And runs away to grandpa's house.  Dad does nothing.  So son number two comes back after three years.  He should have been hanged for murder but wasn't.  Now he tries to steal the throne from dad.  This results in civil war and his eventual death.  Now David is growing old with this mess.

I am not telling you all this to preach.  Rather to try to show that nothing much changes.  The above mess is like something out of today's paper.

We can be thankful if our families are doing well.  I'm thankful for that anyway.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Apart from one or two days as mentioned in the re-live thread.  I have absolutely no desire to live my whole life over again.  I'm glad it's a one way ride. :rolleyes:.  I'm a few years older than most boomers anyway.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As we grow older it becomes more difficult to leap around in the mountains.  One problem that some suffer is that of getting over obstacles such as fences.  The Caithness Field Club, a bunch of old age pensioners, have a solution to the fence climbing question.  They have made a portable style that can be fitted to any standard fence post to enable older folk to get over.  Here are a couple of photos showing how 'Baby Boomers' can gain access to otherwise out-of-reach places via fences.  I am not yet at this stage but it has to be admitted that it may not be so far away!

37558789562_8356ca245d_h.jpg 37542134626_6805bae2ff_h.jpg

When you start wearing Cardigans and saying ''whoopsadaisy''..........youre getting old...........lol.

• Like 3

We say 'Whoopsadaisy' many times as we go flying through the air and our cycles go the other way on the towpaths.:biggrin:

Benj and Loppylugs, Us anawl! lol.:Shock: It would be interesting to know how many of us Nottstalgians are into cardigans? 

• Like 1

Don't say it myself........but to see someone go over the handlebars it would be nice to hear a call of 'WHOOPSADAISY'............sadly today you'd most likely hear ..........''kin--------ell''...................lol.

• Like 1

Who apart from Loppy is going to own up to wearing Cardigans?...........especially matching one's with their partner...............lol.

Edit, remember Howard and his wife, in ''Ever Decreasing Circles'' ?

• Like 2

Benj, afraid a few expletives do follow the 'Whoopsadaisies':rolleyes:

Have to hold my hand up miduck. In the 70/80s a lot of people wore Arran cable jumpers etc. I was always knitting something for someone. We did wear matching 'Cable cardys' at that time.

I have always worn cardys, but Hubbs stopped after the Arran  years. He has recently started to wear them again (Old Bo..er). He waits right up til I am ready to go out and disappears upstairs, and comes back down in the same colour as I have on. I don't usually notice until we are in the car, when it's to late to do anything about it. He does it to wind me up!...................................It works.:biggrin:

• Like 1

LOL.......Nice one carnie......tell Chris to pack it up..................the only time i wore owt similar was in Skeg early 70s,....the then wife had a T shirt with ''i'm with this idiot'' and an arrow pointing..........so i had one done it said........''no i'm not''.........lol.

• Like 2

I've always preferred Cardi's to pull over type sweaters.  Easier to take on and off.  If you get a bit warm you can unbutton it and flap around..  Probably make good dog sweaters when they age, depending on the size of the dog, of course.  ;)

When we had the motel, every now and again a couple would come in dressed identically. Usually older couples did this. I reckon it was in case one of them wandered off and the other could describe them easily! I said to hubby, just shoot me if I suggest we start dressing alike. 

• Like 3