Street Name - Bakerdale Road

Our U3A has a project to find out the origin of our street names.  Has anyone any idea why Bakerdale Road in Bakersfield is so called?    I think it was build in the early 30's. Could it be something connected to the windmill (flour - baker)?   I have asked at the library, the Archives and Notts City Council but no one seems to know, or have any idea how to find out.  

In Bakersfield, there are at least 16 or 17 roads called xxxxdale Road.   The answer is probably that when that area was built and named in the 20s-30s, the council decided on a theme and simply stuck another word in front of Dale.

Looking at some of the others, was there holly on Hollydale, or ferns on Ferndale, was it sunny on Sunnydale, roses on Rosedale etc etc.

I think you're looking for a significance which doesn't exist !

3 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

Looking at some of the others, was there holly on Hollydale, or ferns on Ferndale, was it sunny on Sunnydale, roses on Rosedale etc etc.

Wonder if there was a baker on Bakerdale?  The next road is Watson Avenue.  Maybe there was a baker called Watson.  lol. ;)

• 1 year later...

We lived on Greendale Road and then on Bentley Avenue in Bakersfields between 1970 and 1988. My father-in-law grew up on Swains Avenue in the years before WW1 in the house built by his father who ran a milk delivery business. From what he told us of the area in those days it mainly consisted of fields belonging to someone whose surname was Baker.... the origin of the name is as simple as that! After WW1 the land was sold off to developers or individuals to build housing. My parents-in-law as newlyweds in the 1920s wanted to buy a plot on Oakdale Road but couldn't afford it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure what is the correct version of the name, or who would know.

As you say, most modern maps give it as Bakersfield (all one word); but it first appears on Ordnance Survey  maps in the early 1950s and they always call it Bakers Fields (two words).