A few random photos - 5

Time for a few more.

Looking along Lower Parliament Street towards the Palais and old Central Market (on the left, in the distance). There's still a Boots store on the left, on the edge of Vic Centre. 

xSEe1DH.jpg

The Meadows looking towards the city. The road on the left is Arkwright Street, and on the right is London Road, with the Globe cinema in the middle.

Lkyyej4.jpg

Lister Gate, as it says. Including the Sawyer's Arms, and the big Woolworths.

WMV41wG.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 15
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Time for a few more.   Looking along Lower Parliament Street towards the Palais and old Central Market (on the left, in the distance). There's still a Boots store on the left, on the edge of

I've stuck two fingers up to Photobucket by replacing the photos they removed at the beginning of this thread, and now I'll add a few new photos which I've not put on here before.   A very o

I can remember Southey Street - for all the wrong reasons!  It was a direct route to home from Trent Uni after attending evening lectures. There were ladies of errr.. negotiable affection who frequent

My first car was a Ford Anglia like the one in the top picture.

The second picture shows trolley buses with the tram tracks still in place.

I always like the old photos you post Cliff, thank you.

Picture 3 is as I remember the area, and to think that the nearest buildings have been criminally demolished to make way for the Broad Marsh Centre. Those responsible should be retrospectively prosecuted. Too late by far I think !

Take that photo today and it's surprising how many of those buildings are still there.  

oLuLeSC.jpg

However, if you turn 180 degrees you are confronted with the entrance to Broad Marsh Centre (some of which is creeping in on the right).

I always liked the Burton's tailors shops. They had very impressive frontages. It was almost a pleasure to enter such establishments and spend some hard earned cash.

Great pictures Cliff Ton.

Well remember walking or riding a trolley bus down London Rd on the way to the City Ground. Was the little building that looks as if it has a clock on it just to the right of the centre of the photo something to do with the buses?

Was the Sawyers Arms a Berni Inn at one time?

I think most people remember Sawyer's Arms being a Berni, more than it being anything else.

There's a thread about the Bernis in Nottingham - https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/1930-berni-inns/

The building in front of The Globe also has its own thread - https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/12422-wooden-hut-at-bulwell-market-and-trent-bridge/

• Upvote 1

Sawyers as a Berni was outstanding. A friend of my mates used to work there in the mid 60's, and a couple of us would pop down close to closing time for any freebies that were on offer !  I know the licquer coffees weren't supposed to be on the agenda, but many were imbibed, especially the Russian ones. Great days indeed. Thanks Linda ! 

• 3 weeks later...

I've stuck two fingers up to Photobucket by replacing the photos they removed at the beginning of this thread, and now I'll add a few new photos which I've not put on here before.

A very old one of the Square.

Cb16i9M.jpg

Huntingdon Street bus station when Barton had proper buses.

jNEJ74T.jpg

And the entrance to Wollaton Park half way along Derby Road; it still looks like that but the road is a bit busier.

nDJE9c0.jpg

• Upvote 7

FLY2 #5 Your comment about Burtons reminded me of this little story

It was the 11th of November and after the Armistice Day ceremony some blokes were having a beer in their local when a man came in with the left arm of his suit jacket hanging loosely by his side and ordered a pint. The landlord, nodding at his arm said "Where did you get that?" The man replied "Dunkirk." to which the landlord said "The drink is on me."

A little while later another man came in with the right  arm of his suit jacket hanging loosely by his side and he too ordered a pint. Again the landlord nodding at his arm said "Where did you get that?" The man replied "Tobruk" to which the landlord said "The drink is on me."

Still later a further man walked in with both arms of his suit jacket hanging loosely by his sides and ordered a double scotch. Yet again the landlord nodded at his arms and said "Where did you get that?" to which the man replied "Burtons and its going back in the morning."

• Upvote 1

Cliff Ton #9

I enjoyed the pictures especially the one of Huntingdon Street and the Barton's buses.

Having been brought up with the blue of MGO and green of MDT, Barton's buses always looked "strange" to me with that sliding door.

You can just see the West Bridgford? bus on the other stand.

I also reckon it would be great if they could turn that concrete monstrosity that is now slab square back in to a market for a couple of days a week to give that soulless space some life.

I enjoyed the Huntingdon Street one, too.

Getting the last bus back to Calverton at the weekend turned the bus station platform into a community!

When Barton's expected a high number of passengers they'd put on a duplicate to run with the main bus and the conductor would organise us. 'Only on the Duplicate if you're going all the way.' would cause a few choice remarks. The conductors were very much in charge in those days. I remember getting on with my friend to be told, 'Downstairs, you two, where I can keep my eye on you.'

Heaven knows what we used to get up to upstairs.

Happy memories.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, denshaw said:

In the last picture of Clifftons there were two families that lived in that tiny gatehouse.

There is smoke coming out of the chimney in that picture.

8 hours ago, MelissaJKelly said:

Any chance of finding out what Broughton Drive in Wollaton once looked like? It's just off Middleton Boulevard. 

Boughton Drive hasn't ever really looked much different to what it does now. The land where that estate is built, alongside the ring-road, was originally within Wollaton Park; so before Boughton Drive you had trees and grass. And deer. 

Lenton Times has a couple of pieces on the subject.

http://www.lentontimes.co.uk/back_issues/issue_1/issue_01_01.htm

http://www.lentontimes.co.uk/back_issues/issue_1/issue_01_10.htm

5 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Cliff Ton

Thanks, In all my years in Nottingham I never travelled on a South Notts bus.

Here's one, photographed at Huntingdon Street in 1968. Sorry it's a bit fuzzy. A different type to the vehicle visible in the above photo I think.

S_Notts_76_in_Nottm_1968.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
On 9/22/2018 at 1:12 AM, IAN123. said:

A foggy night in 1938.large.jpgThe Vernon Picture House...showing 'Revenge'.

Ian according to the photographer, who gave me the photo it was taken just prior to Britains involvement in WW2. 

• Like 2
On 9/23/2018 at 7:28 PM, IAN123. said:

Yes it said 1939 nnsc on the title..but going by the Big Broadcast 1938..and The Revenge film..thought i'd play safe!

A photo  recently on PTP said 1965..a mk.3 Capri on it!

Regards .ian.

Maybe the person who took the photo was wrong about the year!

Anyway I've tracked down the posters displayed on the wall - see below

Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 21.19.22

Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 21.12.24

This one isn't quite the same but maybe the film was renamed 'Revenge' in this country?

• Like 3