A few random photos - 5

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Time for a few more.   Looking along Lower Parliament Street towards the Palais and old Central Market (on the left, in the distance). There's still a Boots store on the left, on the edge of

I've stuck two fingers up to Photobucket by replacing the photos they removed at the beginning of this thread, and now I'll add a few new photos which I've not put on here before.   A very o

I can remember Southey Street - for all the wrong reasons!  It was a direct route to home from Trent Uni after attending evening lectures. There were ladies of errr.. negotiable affection who frequent

Same area..but mid fifties.63833.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgApart from the 'Unit 4+2' monstrosity on Burton St.this is pretty much how i care to remember this area. Ivor Thirsts

Mansfield Arms..just a glimpse on the left.Moulin Rogue and The Golden Key and what was to become Dolphin Motors to the right. My mate smashed his arm and collar bone on that crossing, retrieving a Mexico 1970 football..ouch!

Never forget our neighbour who was in Palestine in '47 and 'scarred'...fast asleep on that very crossing at 11pm.

Me Dad had to do a Firemans lift and put him to bed...good times.

• Like 1
On 9/23/2018 at 3:07 AM, IAN123. said:

Bentinck Road and Southey St.1955.67142.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgTo the right where the kerb rounds..was that a Ukranian Bakery or Library one time?

In the late 50s there was a shop named 'Radiovision House' on that corner on the right. As well as TVs and radios they had a good stock of flying model aircraft kits and parts, balsa wood/tissue/motors etc. I bought a kit of an SE5 WW1 biplane, elastic band powered. As well as other balsa wood frame, tissue covered generic types, rubber powered and gliders. I remember having to leave the garage door open when doping the paper on those things, it made me nauseous if I didn't.

• Like 1

I can remember Southey Street - for all the wrong reasons!  It was a direct route to home from Trent Uni after attending evening lectures. There were ladies of errr.. negotiable affection who frequented the corner and one, mistaking my eye contact whilst stopped at the lights jumped in my car! I panicked, noted the sign opposite re; CCTV and immediately thought of the headlines and my name across the front page.

She got out after much begging by me but not before giving full vent to her ire and demanding I do things which I'm quite sure are utterly impossible.

I went the long round with the doors firmly locked after that.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I too remember Southey St. for similar sordid reasons. Derek Leatherland and his brother, who owned Leatherland’s Office Equipment on Castle Boulevard and also ran Truman Aviation at Tollerton, lived in a big house with a large walled garden on Southey St. I often wondered why he chose to live there. Perhaps the family were there before the area went down the pan. I also remember the steep hill at the top of Southey St. where my BSM driving instructor took me to practice hill starts.

Back in Victorian times I'm told it was quite a well to do area. Looking at the frontages on Forest Rd I can well imagine it, certainly some the houses are huge when you get inside. Sad that most have been turned into grotty little bedsits. 

Going back to Pasture Road at Stapleford, I had a schoolfriend who lived there whose father was the man who filled the blast furnaces at Stanton ironworks. I had been round there on a school trip before but one Sunday afternoon a couple of friends and I were invited to Stanton to see things right up close. We actually went up the steps around the furnace where we could see through peepholes the molten steel dripping down.  

The flames coming from the furnaces at night were known locally as ‘blue monkeys’. My friend’s nephew was the original founder of the Blue Monkey brewery and he named it that because of his grandfather’s association with the foundry.

• Like 2

The Forest Fields area was a very upmarket place at one time. Bygones did a good issue on some of the buildings a few years ago which recalled the days when professional people, including solicitors of a totally different kind, were in residence.

During my years at The Manning, there were problems with males loitering around Gregory Boulvevard and, more specifically, outside our school railings, watching 5th and 6th formers on the hockey field. This concern was never alluded to specifically but staff were concerned about it, especially as fourth formers upwards were allowed to leave the premises at lunchtime and often went for a walk on the forest or to the arboretum to get away from the Harpies for an hour or so. Some were propositioned by dubious raincoat wearers and we were warned to stay away from the Waverley Street and Mount Hooton Road areas but were never specifically told the reasons why.

• 7 months later...

If that pic could talk!

Jocks shop on the corner of Hunto..Nice Cars Garage and St.Johns Ambulance Depot. EMEB building that poor old Colin trained in. The 31 and 50 transportation to hell.Camping out on Woodborough Terrace over Vic tunnel. Trumans and the National Garage, Judges sliced pans and The Newcastle Arms..nice Variant!

Just read some of the comments re Southy Street. I worked in the area for about 7 years in 1990-97. Many of the houses in the area would have been very grand indeed at one time. I've been in a lot of them. Most, not all, quite run down and split into flats. Even in the run down state some retained features of their past grandure. Ornate plaster ceilings and some basements having the bells on springs marked with the rooms above as they had been the servants quarters. Forest Road and area was of course we'll known in the 50's until recent times as Nottinghams vice area where  prostitutes now more politely referred to as sex workers operated. I knew many of the regular girls, not in the biblical sense I hasten to add. Some were there for drug money, some pimped and some just because they could make some money quickly. All sorts of reasons often with rather sad histories that led them into what is a sordid lifestyle. A few of them were really quite pleasant and likeable. Many not so. 

I don't think it's so well know or used as a vice area now. Perhaps the Internet and modern slavery and pop up brothels have taken over. 

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
On 6/19/2017 at 10:19 AM, FLY2 said:

Picture 3 is as I remember the area, and to think that the nearest buildings have been criminally demolished to make way for the Broad Marsh Centre. Those responsible should be retrospectively prosecuted. Too late by far I think !

oh dear,   l wouldn.t say l was responsible but l did help demolish the electricity board building to make way for b/m/centre,

On 7/22/2017 at 2:33 PM, Merthyr Imp said:

Here's one, photographed at Huntingdon Street in 1968. Sorry it's a bit fuzzy. A different type to the vehicle visible in the above photo I think.

S_Notts_76_in_Nottm_1968.jpg

thats gotta be me on that bus, always sat on front but had to open the window behind me.

• Like 1