Anyone watching this at the moment on BBC2 ?

A lady from the wilds of Alaska swops places with a Nottingham woman .

They are dropped off in an unknown ( to them ) place .

The Alaskan lady is convinced she is in front of Big Ben in London ( it's Nottingham Council House !)

She asks a market trader Is this Piccadilly Circus ?

No he says Nottingham .

She says "you mean like Sherwood Forest and Robin Hood ? Is this a kingdom ???" 

She takes on the English ladies job at the City Hospital......the rest should be fun ! 

• Upvote 1

Sadly this is the state of our education system in the US, and it's liberal dumbing down of the kids. Very little geography or history is taught in schools across the US these days, it's not a funny matter, but a very serious matter. I'll be 70 this year, and I doubt kids in the UK get anywhere near the education we of my age group got in our ten years at school.

Some of the courses given at University these days show the sheer stupidity of our "edukashun" "industry" these days. We have schools in places like Detroit and NYC graduating kids who are 100% illiterate!!! I'm not joking either! Teachers who are making in excess of $125,000 a year and send kids out into the workforce who cannot read or write!!   

Sad isn't it!!

• Upvote 4

It's not only sad, Ayup, it's catastrophic. Heaven knows, I didn't enjoy my years in education...NS members will probably be well aware of that...but I'm now very thankful for them. As to the teaching of history these days, it seems to be concerned only with apologising for past events and attitudes when this country had an empire. The constant attempts to apply contemporary standards to the past seems pointless to me. In the meantime, many young people are possibly being alienated against what, in my opinion, is one of the most fascinating subjects in existence.

• Upvote 6

No chance on watching it here.

Just an example of stupidity, one University is now offering a Social Justice degree, WTF!!  Some stupid liberal kid is going to get a student loan to sit this course, and for what?? What prospective employer will recognize the degree?? Then the stupid kid will be saddled with a student loan for years.

Some of the degrees are just plain stupid in today's and tomorrows market places. A good IT degree, or electronic engineering would be more appropriate.

I see there's a movement to get 18 year old's to enroll in a tech college and learn a trade at a fraction of the price of university educations and at least will have prospects of jobs waiting for them...

Mind, that's all dependent on whether they can read and write....

• Upvote 1

#9 although I agree about more youngsters learning a trade, I do see a reason for getting higher education for Social Justice.

Law, business studies and accountancy are respected degree subjects but all fall short in the Social Justice area. There is more to education that winning and making a profit.

I sometimes work with university educated people and am constantly amazed at their lack of knowledge on history and geography, i think its more important than ever in todays shrinking world,they haven't a clue what countries are where or how they came about,let alone what language they speak,  and people talk about lowering the voting age,

• Upvote 1

Re #9. We. Desperately need brickies, carpenters, joiners, HGV drivers. We'll soon be a nation of overqualified but otherwise totally useless individuals. Doesn't anyone want to be in the construction industry these days. No wonder we cannot survive in the world without foreign labour.

Years ago at Plessey, we had an Industrial Engineer with a degree in Electrical Engineering from Manchester University, and he'd never even used an electric drill ! Another one was colour blind, so how on earth could he tell the value of resistors or differentiate between wires in a multicoloured cableform.

I was lucky in that when I left FFGS, I'd no qualifications whatsoever, but always had interesting and well paid jobs, but I would love to have had the chance of doing something constructive.

When I was at Boulby Mine in North Yorks, we had a post grad Elec Engineer, he was about as much use  a drill with no bits.

After he'd been with us for a couple of month, a colleague of mine asked me what I thought of him, he laughed at my reply. Funny though, he avoided me and my mate when we were on days like the plague, even if we had a major breakdown, as we'd leave him totally embarrassed.

One dayshift, he called me on the telephone and asked me to do a job, sequence a contractors conveyor to a main trunk conveyor belt. It had to stop when the trunk belt stopped, and when the trunk belt started I had to make sure a pre start alarm warned the guy's before it started.

Fairly simple job, I got the schematics out on the starter, as it was flameproof, I wasn't allowed to alter any internal wiring, I found what I was looking for, got what I needed from the stores and had the job running, tested and finished in less than an hour.

I went back to the underground workshops to finish a job I'd started when the phone rang, it was the junior engineer, "Forget that job I gave you, it can't be done"

"Really?? Why"?

" well it would mean having to alter internal wiring in the starter."

"Well it's done and running, and I didn't have to alter anything." said I.

" Can't have, I've just been looking at the schematics and it can't be done"

"Have it your way then, but it's running fine."  Say's I.

" How did you do it"?

"That's for me to know and you to find out"....

I did inform the next shift electrician in my district what I'd done, so he'd know what the score was.

I never did let that "know it all" know how I'd done it, I don't even think he ever asked me again...

In retrospect, the Elec Engineer in Charge at Boulby, should have assigned the Junior Engineer, with shift electricians with strict orders, "DON'T interfere with the men while working, ask questions and treat them as your seniors, as they know more than you and have had a few years experience at what they are doing.

Ayup #09 About 15 years ago I was at college for my annual 5 year gas assessments and one of the students could not read and had been supplied with a 'reader'. Speaking to the chief examiner I happen to remark 'what a waste of time he cannot pass' Why? says the examiner he seems to know his stuff.

Why? I asked incredulously, because one of the first rules of installation is 'always read and follow the manufacturers instructions they supersede everything.' and he can't bloody read! I promise you there will be trouble if you pass him.....he failed.

Why we don't promote 'trades' I don't know, it is now such a well paid job, if you recall we had a member who only the other week had to have a gas engineer to sort out a problem charges were £85 per half hour or part thereof.

• Upvote 1

Problem these days, kids don't want to get their hands dirty, that is the one's who can read and write.

I wonder how the current school leaver could handle a shift underground, not just coal, but in any mineral. Made me a very good living as an electrician, and lots of job satisfaction getting equipment running. Nothing like a head scratching fault!! Or jointing a high voltage armoured cable that decided to blow out.

• Upvote 3

Its getting late I've got to get off here but I just came across this thread so couldn't resist a bark before getting in the kennel for the night.:biggrin:

Several posts here refer to the dumbing down of kids with the obvious outcome of not being able to read or write.

If the system can achieve such results there is also a less obvious problem.   With an inability to then be able to read and think critically about the info the system is feeding them they are at a great disadvantage.   Such a  person then becomes easier to control and steer in any direction the powers that be want to go because they are incapable of clear and logical thought or an ability to study all angles of of an issue.  Just OBEY!!!  The thinking has been done.   :rolleyes:

• Upvote 3
12 hours ago, loppylugs said:

a bark before getting in the kennel for the night.:biggrin:

Just love that expression Dave, must remember that one for my vocabulary !

• Upvote 1