Hottest June day in 41 years

So someone's got to be blamed for the heat. Jesus Christ - no he can do no wrong. Theresa May - well she's blamed for most things. Angela Merkel - nasty piece of work. How about the North Koreans? I'll mull it over whilst I have a pint of cider - not driving anywhere today.

• Upvote 2

I remember the heat waves of 1975/6 when there wasn't a blade of green grass to be seen in many places. The scary thing is, it only seems like a couple of years ago. :wacko: I was 17/18 then. Now I'm almost 60!

• Upvote 1
41 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Can't claim that - I wasn't even married!

38 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

What's marriage got to do with it?  ;)  

And I believe you are the wrong gender as well, Phil.... unless you are very different from when I knew you at school!!

76 Remember it very well, I had to go to the gunnery school at Lulworth Cove for a conversion course onto Rarden cannon, the course could not be completed as the range was to dry and fire risk status was 'very high'. We had to go back in Oct to complete the course and pass out. Cost me 4 months pay increment....................

I can remember it well. We went on a caravan holiday on the bank holiday and shortly after the heatwave broke. Oh boy did it break. When we arrived several camping sites were flooded by torrential rain, broken down cars (especially minis) littered the main road into Yarmouth and for the next seven days we were like drowned rats - after sweltering all summer we were decidedly unimpressed.

NewBasford Lad #10

From my time at COD Chilwell, if I remember correctly the Rarden was due to be installed on FV432's but for some reason they never went ahead with it. Wasn't later production of the Rarden moved to the ROF Nottingham.

17 hours ago, MargieH said:

And I believe you are the wrong gender as well, Phil.... unless you are very different from when I knew you at school!!

I was only 33 at the time. I didn't know you could have babies unless you were married. Have they changed the law?

#14 Oztalgian.

ROF Nottm built the Warrior APC with the 30mm Rarden with production ceasing in 95 I believe.

The FV432/30 was produced and issued to the Berlin garrison, funnily I did my pass out shoot at Lulworth on one but I have no idea how it got there. I remember it very well as there was a crack in the image intensifier lens, looked like a lighting strike when you looked through the sight at night.

Then there was and still is the Scimitar CVRT (combat vehicle reconnaissance tracked) and the Fox CVR(W) a 4x4 used by the Yeomanry now out of service with the British army.

Finally the 76mm gunned Scorpion big brother to the Scimitar had serious problems with gun fumes in the turret and was taken out of service when the crew started falling over. Eventually the 76mm turret was removed and replace with the turrets from the now defunct Fox producing what is known as Sabre.

Very accurate and powerful little gun the Rarden it was taking out Russian built Iraqi tanks in the Gulf war.

I had already left in '76. But I do remember coming over in September of the year as we descended into Heathrow the fields all around were burnt brown.

Don't be put off gardening by a bit of inclement weather, Mick.  That's just part of the gamble of gardening.  We've had so much rain the last week or two the Green Beans are growing like weeds, but the Tomatoes are a bit slow in ripening.  We had our first one yesterday.  Worth the wait. :dry:

• Upvote 1
  • 9 months later...

Going all 'Bohemian' today..........no thermal vest or Long Johns.........first time since October.....i just don't care..............

• Like 2

Yove allus bin a scruffy, rebellious Hippy type Ben... but I thought that Tie Dye Liberty bodice was a bit much...  ;)  Dunno ow yergerrawaywiyit.. :)

Very warm in Nottm yesterday.. my car was showing a good 25 degrees, but back home on the forbidding windswept flanks of the Billinge Massif, it was down to about 20 degrees with a stiff breeze coming off Liverpool Bay.

We also had the dreaded 'Five o'Clock Cloud'.  It seems to develop high over the nearby Welsh mountains and often manages to be the only cloud in the sky, but sitting directly over the Sun and following it as it sets. :angry:

Today is looking fab.  Clear blue sky and very little breeze.  Time for a bit of grass cutting but until the Sun dries the dew off, there's nothing for it but to stretch out and catch a few rays. :tanning:

• Like 2

Temperature still in single figures here in Caithness, 8°C an hour ago. Sky 50% cloud and a cold easterly wind that has been with us since last November. Nothing growing in the garden yet - even the ivy has turned brown and much of it is hanging off the walls.

• Like 1