Hottest June day in 41 years

Compo, much as I like Scotland, my reaction has to be a considered. 'Sod that for a game of darts..'

Mind.. I did have a few days at the Cameron House Hotel on Loch Lomond in 2014, when that area was the hottest in Europe for days on end.  Lovely...

You're right of course Commo, but I think what's worn many down this time is that Summer turned straight into Autumn pretty much in one go last August and there has been little relief since.  We don't expect this sort of weather all year, but there should really be a steady improvement from Feb on, which just hasn't happened this year.  Farmers are reporting flooded land and cold soil they can't plant on, shortages of fodder because the grass hasn't started growing yet, etc.

Col

• Upvote 1

The last time I saw Ladybower Reservoir was about 76 and it was almost empty, following a dry year and heatwave. Oddly enough I am there tomorrow fly fishing from a boat. Should be full after all that rain. Just hoping that this mini heatwave will bring on an early Mayfly hatch :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

All day in the garden in minimal attire.  Love it. 

I cut the grass and did a fair bit of weeding.  Mainly, the first assault of the year on my infestation of creeping violets.  I brought one single creeping violet plant back from my Mum's house probably ten or more years ago and I've been fighting the buggers ever since. They spread like wildfire and have deep roots.  When I read up on them I discovered that they have two lots of flowers.  The typical violet flowers are on top, but don't bear seeds.  There are much smaller hidden flowers under the leaves which are barely noticeable, but have seeds.  I have to dig up every single plant as I see them and just hope that they will ocasionally be defeated.

Col, I think they are also called Periwinkle, and are a sod to eradicate. However, if you still feel the need to keep some, then just plant some in small pots, then insert said pots in the ground. By doing this, it confines them, and restricts their growth. Re the hot weather, well I'm on the south coast and had my first paddle today !

17 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Farmers are reporting flooded land and cold soil they can't plant on, shortages of fodder because the grass hasn't started growing yet, etc.

Col

I wish my grass hadn't started growing yet. It's been cut twice in the past 10 days and needs cutting again.  

8 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Col, I think they are also called Periwinkle, and are a sod to eradicate. However, if you still feel the need to keep some, then just plant some in small pots, then insert said pots in the ground. By doing this, it confines them, and restricts their growth.

The creeping violet is not the same as the periwinkle - the leaves and flowers are different, and the periwinkle (vinca) propagates by sending out long shoots which then root when they touch the soil.  I've had both in my garden and the creeping violet is the worst to get rid of as it is so deep rooted..

My violets came from my mum's garden, too, Col.  

My mistake Margie, but the same can be applied. Once cleared from the ground, pot em, and keep confined. I now do it with dwarf daffs too, as it saves a lot of time and bother.

• Upvote 1

I was just thinking. My missus keeps me confined and potted, and restricts my movement ! girlvboy

I'm afraid I don't need to pot the violets.  They have already made a takeover bid for many of the containers in which Mrs Col has her Alstroemerias and other plants.  Made worse by the fact that Mrs Col has neglected her container plants for a couple of years.  Thing is, I'm not allowed to touch 'em.. but yesterday I did ask her to decide which of her collection of Container Grown weeds she wants to keep/repot, and which I'm allowed to throw out.  I confidently expect a decision by the Autumn...

Add to this the pile of earth and rubble on the patio from my excavations ( looking for a drain) and the garden is looking especially attractive this year.. ;)  But, I'll bet I've dug my drain before Mrs Col sorts her pots.. :laugh:

Lots of info here about Violets and how to control them.  Mostly American stuff though and I can't find any mention of these thugs on the RHS site.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-ab&biw=1920&bih=966&ei=KLLZWqquLqqdgAa5m7nQDg&q=violets+as+weeds&oq=violets+as+weeds&gs_l=psy-ab.12..0i22i30k1.46184.50052.0.53740.16.14.0.2.2.0.90.1020.14.14.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.16.1026...0j0i131k1j0i67k1j0i46i67k1j46i67k1j0i22i10i30k1.0.dJJNUooxFxc

Well today took a little while to perk up, but we now have clear blue cloudless sky and just a tad more breeze than yesterday.  I  gave the grass a 'topping' on a high cut yesterday.  If I leave it now, it will be raining in a few days when it needs cutting again.  So I'm going to lower the cut and do it again today. Just had lunch..

Had a couple of apparently harmless, but itchy skin lesions removed from my shoulder last week.  healing nicely, but was advised to cover with Factor 30 or higher for a while in the Sun, so slapped that on..

Now.. Kit off and at it... :)  The grass WILL submit to my authority.... :laugh:

• Like 1

Had a wonderful day on Ladybower Reservoir today. Nice and warm for a change. Spent quite a while just motoring around in the boat and exploring. Superb views from the water. We ended up catching 11 trout  between us. Others did not fare so well because they took the bailiffs advice which ignored the changing conditions.