A History of Nottingham's Council Houses in Photos

Don't know if anyone posted this before, but I just found an article in the 'Left Lion' about Nottingham council housing with loads of pictures.  Maybe someone can identify a few?

https://www.leftlion.co.uk/photos/2016/january/homes-and-places-a-history-of-nottinghams-council-houses-in-photos-532

eng

• Upvote 1

My mother always said the first council houses to be built in Nottingham were those on Stockhill Lane. Those on Bobbers Mill Road were constructed around 1922. The site was originally a sand pit and the first 2 semis collapsed when their foundations gave way, needing to be rebuilt. Odd to think they are almost 100 years old. My grandparents were the first tenants of 190. The rents were so high that tenants were hard to find!

My grandmother wanted one of the houses being built at the back, in Chadwick Road, in the 30s but she couldn't afford the £500 asking price! Those houses were much smaller than the one she lived in and also had cellars which she didn't like.

Interesting and  fascinating, but by God, depressing !

A interesting collection, although many are from 'Picture the Past' and various Facebook pages.

I can't understand why some of those photos are in there; they don't seem to be either 'before' or 'after'.  

I remember the building of the Hyson Green Flats. In 1969, as I was getting ready to leave Berridge, a fellow pupil, Kim Machin, and I went to see someone she knew who had just moved into a brand new flat there. We walked all around the communal outside areas and along the walkways. It was just a sea of concrete and I thought it was horrible. An alien landscape. We would come out into Gregory Boulevard via a little cutting between Hyson Green library and the baby clinic. Certainly wouldn't have wanted to live in those flats.

And that was when they were virtually new, Loppy. What they were like as time went on I don't know. Kim's friend thought her flat was marvellous because it had running hot water and an indoor lavatory and bathroom, as opposed to the house she'd left which had none of those things.

After a couple of visits with Kim, I never saw the flats again.

My grandmother moved into a flat at balloon woods, probably about 1976, she loved it as she moved from a privately rented flat in Radford, that was basically a tip. She loved her time at Balloon woods and was active in the protests about the state of the flats, she moved to a bigger flat on the complex, but when they decided to move people out due to the imminent closure, she was allocated a second floor flat in Strelley, even though she was nearly 80 and had problems with her mobility.

Balloon woods was not as bad as a lot of people make out, it is after all social housing.