Hiya all.. nice to find this forum, as a homesick, nostalgic, expat of Notts. I grew up in Colwick, loved it, still love it, couldn't have asked for a better place to grow up. I moved to Canada in the 90's, dragged kicking by parents, I forgive them now ;) I have a great life in Canada but sure miss home and all things Nottingham. Looking forward to meeting new people from my old neck of the world.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you FLY2, you're not kidding, I had some great reading and trips down memory lane here before I joined last night, great stuff.   Hello Jill, The Mediaevalist (right up my alley) do th

Mosquitoes here are stinkers, they'll chase you, relentless little buggers. There are man-made still water lakes/ponds in every new community, I myself live in a new lake community, beautiful place bu

nice to hear all about people who have moved from Nottingham to Canada, at the ripe old age of 16 {1966 when we won the world cup} my oldest brother Terry Goodwin decided he would go and climb the roc

Welcome ABA, I'm sure you'll find interesting topics on here, and much to chew over.

• Upvote 1

Welcome ABA.  Glad things are going well for you in Canada.  I moved there in 1970.  Loved it then in Toronto and then Calgary Alberta.  Still love it even though presently in the USA.  I look forward to reading your memories.  Lots of great folks on here.

• Upvote 1

Thank you FLY2, you're not kidding, I had some great reading and trips down memory lane here before I joined last night, great stuff.

Hello Jill, The Mediaevalist (right up my alley) do they have any renaissance festivals near you? They had one here last year with an International jousting competition and I sadly missed it.. love a good joust!

I sure did catfan, and also went through your Bulwell on a bus many times as a kid on my way to Vyella, my Mum worked there and I went to the nursery school across from it, I remember it quite vividly.

Ay up LizzieM, I initially lived in Ontario but now I'm in Calgary, Alberta. Victoria is lovely, it's pretty much the only place I can find antiques over this end of the world. Have you been for a visit?

loppylugs, I'd like to keep following in your footsteps, I first came to Toronto, arrived middle of Winter, -40 degrees for the first time :Shock: nearly lost an ear waiting for the bus! I'm now in Calgary but have a yearning for Georgia, especially Savannah.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!

• Upvote 6

Hi again ABA.

I lived in Calgary for fifteen years.  I had my own electrical contracting business there.  Lived up in the Northeast, Pineridge.  Only half a million people in Calgary in 1975 when we moved there.  I know it's over a million now.

Ga. is o-k but the summers are VERY hot and humid.  I preferred the Calgary climate.  I know it can be cold but the Chinooks helped out and the Rockies are so close.

Moved down here after my first wife died and I married a lady from this neck of the woods.  Long story I won't hog the thread with it

Bit more room to spread out than Netherfield though. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Hi Loppylugs,

Ah yes, it's definitely spread out here in Calgary now, so much so that we are encroaching on the wildlife a little too much, a mountain lion was at the front doors of my work the other year... likely hunting the bounty of local hares. A beautiful coyote was in my garden the other day, again, the hares are tempting it. I live and work in the far South end, practically joining Okotoks.

Sorry to hear of your first wife's passing, was she from Canada originally or back home?

I worked in India in foreign aid & community development for 6 years so I'm used to hot and humid. Calgary is a bit too dry for me and wrecks havoc on my wooden antiques. However, I may have an overly romantic idea of GA, all plantations and Spanish moss, etc, but something is calling me there. I recently watched a travel video where the commentator mentioned some sort of cicada that will fly out of the Spanish moss and chase you, now I don't mind bugs, just not on me or chasing me, so if you and your lovely lady are ever in Savannah and see a pasty blond woman running like she's on fire, that'd be me.

I used to walk or ride my bike from Colwick to Netherfield. There was a sweetshop half way there, I'd always stop in for sugar mice. The shopkeeper's Son once asked for my phone number, I was 16, he was 17. My Dad went through the roof when he called, convinced he had lecherous intentions :P he scared him off permanently... Killjoy.

Do you like GA? Hog away...

Hi ABA.    A Mountain Lion at work eh?  That would grab your attention.  I've never seen one.  Few Bears around though. 

Late wife was a Gedling gal.  We were married in 1965 at Gedling church.  We were basically just kids.    (20  and 19)  We grew up together.  Emigrating has a way of doing that to you.  :rolleyes:

I'll maybe try to p.m. you later about Ga. as it would be somewhat off topic for this thread.  You will know when you have a pm.  The little envelope at the top of the page should light up red.  Just click on it to read.

• Upvote 1

We Nottinghamians seem to get around, there's another one I know in Calgary, not sure if I told him about this site, Graham Jones, he and I served our apprenticeships at Clifton Colliery.

He ended up in Calgary, he used to be a contracting elec up there, had some knee problems and ended up getting teaching credentials teaching mentally disabled children. He's retired now.

I'm not going to ask if you know him ABA, as there are probably dozens of Jones's in Calgary.

I live a few states to the west of Dave, (Loppylugs), I settled in southern Missouri where we are getting some nice weather, mid 80's with low humidity for a change.

Cicada's are big, never known them to chase anyone though, but I believe it's supposed to be the year of the Cicada's..

• Upvote 1

My apologies, Graham is in Edmonton.

• Upvote 1

I think ABA may be referring to Chiggas, John.  They are said to inhabit Spanish Moss and will drop in your hair as you walk underneath.  I've never seen one but your post reminded me of a guided trolley tour we took in Savannah where the guide went into chilling detail on the topic.  I think we were all scratching by the time the ride was over. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, loppylugs said:

I think ABA may be referring to Chiggas, John.  They are said to inhabit Spanish Moss and will drop in your hair as you walk underneath.  I've never seen one but your post reminded me of a guided trolley tour we took in Savannah where the guide went into chilling detail on the topic.  I think we were all scratching by the time the ride was over. :biggrin:

9 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Hi ABA.    A Mountain Lion at work eh?  That would grab your attention.  I've never seen one.  Few Bears around though. 

Late wife was a Gedling gal.  We were married in 1965 at Gedling church.  We were basically just kids.    (20  and 19)  We grew up together.  Emigrating has a way of doing that to you.  :rolleyes:

I'll maybe try to p.m. you later about Ga. as it would be somewhat off topic for this thread.  You will know when you have a pm.  The little envelope at the top of the page should light up red.  Just click on it to read.

Yes, it was one big kitty, right at the main entrance revolving doors too, lucky it didn't get in. Only ever seen one other cougar once in Canmore whilst hiking, I went back to the car pretty swift like! Never been hiking here and not run into a bear. I saw about a dozen last year, I'm less concerned with them though, never had an issue with one. It's the tourists that get too close trying to take selfies that are the problem. They've seen Winnie the Pooh too many times, not realizing Winnie can run faster than a horse and can rip your head off.

They shut down the beautiful wild bison park because a tourist from Germany got out of his car in the enclosure and went over to a big bull to stroke it, it tossed him like a salad and he filled a lawsuit... plonker.

How come you two moved to Canada? Was it in your early days of marriage?

I grew up with a Father who was a cowboy, we even went on Pontins "cowboy" holiday camps, maybe he was one in a past life or just one too many John Wayne movies.. I was named after an Indian in a western movie and I now work a lot with Native health on the reserves, it's a big passion.. meant to be maybe?

Dad used to work at Dobsons and when a Canadian company came to Nottingham hiring, he went right down and applied and got in. He and my Mum had tried many times prior to emigrate to Canada but kept getting the "you don't meet current criteria" speech. Which would've been fine if they would've let them know what the criteria was, but they wouldn't tell them.

Was it an easy move across the pond for you?

Argh, chiggers look awful, like lice. Those things fall out of trees?! :Shock: I'll take a grizzly bear over those, at least I can see it coming. This is why I dress in full on PPE gear with patients with parasite infestations, I don't want to bring any hitchhikers home, I even duct tape my wellies to my scrubs.

I don't recall any wildlife in Nottingham that could snuff you or suck your blood. Why'd we move again?

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Ayupmeducks said:

We Nottinghamians seem to get around, there's another one I know in Calgary, not sure if I told him about this site, Graham Jones, he and I served our apprenticeships at Clifton Colliery.

He ended up in Calgary, he used to be a contracting elec up there, had some knee problems and ended up getting teaching credentials teaching mentally disabled children. He's retired now.

I'm not going to ask if you know him ABA, as there are probably dozens of Jones's in Calgary.

I live a few states to the west of Dave, (Loppylugs), I settled in southern Missouri where we are getting some nice weather, mid 80's with low humidity for a change.

Cicada's are big, never known them to chase anyone though, but I believe it's supposed to be the year of the Cicada's..

We sure do get around don't we, Ayupmeducks? Funny, I did know a Graham here from Nottingham and for a moment I thought it might be the same bloke but the rest doesn't add up so it's not him.

I haven't been to Missouri, how did you end up there and how long have you been there, may I ask?

So you're telling me this is not the year to visit Savannah then, Cicada wise? The tour guide was definitely talking about some kind of big flying bug, I'm sure it was cicadas. As long as they don't bite I'm alright.. maybe. We have these big giant water bugs that fly and are as big as my hand, like a small bird. They aren't common but they can bite. First time I saw one it landed on my chest whilst I was on a ferry in BC. I nearly jumped off the bl00dy ferry into the water trying to get the darn thing off me. The other passengers found it very entertaining!

When I grew in Notts I had stick insects, now that's an insect I can get along with. They had 100s of babies and I was given strict orders to get shot of em so I freed them onto the neighbours privet hedge, within days they stripped it. Neighbour was none too happy :angry:

• Upvote 2

The only chiggas I know are those microscopic insects that infest the ground and eat your feet alive, unless you spray your boots and socks with "Off" Never heard of them climbing trees and dropping on anyone.

I know ticks will sometimes climb trees and jump on you, it's the only explanation to how they suddenly appear on one's head.

• Upvote 1

ABA, just a teensiest bit intrigued as to what your dad named you. If it's She Who Runs With Deer, bet it took a while to put your name on your papers in school. 

• Upvote 2

#7 ABA, in answer to your question as to whether I'd been to Victoria BC, yes we've been over there a few times, the most memorable I suppose would be for the 1994 Commonwealth Games when the family who live in Ontario also stayed there, one big happy family (16 of us) crammed into brother-in-law's house. We managed to get tickets for several sessions in the Stadium, my husband and his brother went to watch the boxing and we saw the cycle road race.  There was a free concert on the harbour area with well known bands playing, the kids were partying on the beach whilst us grown-ups mixed with medal winners in the local bars.  Our two boys were very big into athletics (they were still at school) and whenever they saw one of our England athletes they were thrilled to be able to chat to them, it was a fantastic happy atmosphere all over the city.  

• Upvote 2

Ayupmeducks, do we have chiggas in the UK? I never saw any, only thing to ever give me grief back home was stinging nettles.

katyjay, wouldn't find that on mug or pen would I? :laugh: No, I got teased on occasion for my name spelling imoan, backwards. Funny, kids at school would ask if I knew that's what it spelt, like they were telling me something I didn't already know!

One of my very good Blackfoot friends here jokingly calls me white buffalo... cheeky mare, she used to be a bartender in New York, she's the most un-aboriginal Native I know, jokes I'm more an Indian than she is, told me she draws the line if I start trying to teach her how to make moccasins. Love that woman, she's a good egg.

Could never find Naomi on anything at West Midlands Safari Park, not on a keyring, a cup, nothing. Pfft.

• Upvote 2

Lizzie, that sounds brilliant, what a great time to visit, your boys must have just loved it. Yes, everyone is pretty friendly over here, very Brit friendly and there's lots of us. I work with a few Brits but we are on different rotations so ships passing for the most part unless we get called in off rotation. It's joked by colleagues that we aren't allowed to work together because the banter gets so bad no one understands us by the end of shift, funny how that happens isn't it?

Glad you had such a good time here ;)

If we did have them in Britain, I never heard of them. We didn't have them in California, at least I never came in contact with them if they are there, but here in the mid west they are a pain in the butt.

Chigger is a corruption of a Mexican word, so they have them down south of the border too.

I lived ten years in Australia and never heard of them down there, ticks yes, but never saw a tick until I brought the wife home to the states.

• Upvote 1

Ayupmeducks

We do have a variety of them in Australia they are commonly called Scrub-Itch Mites.

They are found from coastal rainforests of Northern New South Wales, up through Brisbane and on up to Cairns and north into PNG.

The little buggas are red/orange in colour and it is the larvae that bite they are very small about 8 thousandths of an inch and usually bite around the neck, belt line and top of the socks. They can give you lots of very itchy red lumps.

• Upvote 1

Never heard of Chigga's or Ticks in the UK.  Had a few run ins with stinging nettles though.  With all the hot temps being reported in the UK it will be interesting to see if some of those pests arrive.  Doubt if I will live long enough to see it though.

• Upvote 1

I remember stinging nettles, they got me plenty of times,  white rash that stung like heck.  Nature was grand though, it usually put a dock plant nearby for relief.

• Upvote 2