We don't eat out much these days. Restaurant meals are a rip off and the price of wine is just silly. There seems to be a trend now for discarding the humble plate for serving the food. Of the last two meals we've eaten out one was served on a plank of wood and the other on a roofing slate. Going to eat out in Yorkshire soon so I'm expecting the pie and chips to be served in a flat cap!

• Upvote 8
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We don't eat out much these days. Restaurant meals are a rip off and the price of wine is just silly. There seems to be a trend now for discarding the humble plate for serving the food. Of the last tw

Straight after chemo on Thursday I went down to the Park Hotel (ex Savoy) where I met Mrs C and Pat and John McKenzie. Pat (nee Bond), a Sherwood girl, was Linda's friend and at school with her, and e

Shurrup moaning you lot, it's nice to go out to a good restaurant occasionally.  

I know what you mean about wine prices Phil, but if ever I have wine whilst dining, I go for the House red or white. It's invariably pretty decent, and considerably cheaper. The downside is of course that I tend to drink more ! 

Re planks and slates, yes, I've had both recently, but as long as the food is good, then I'm not particularly bothered, although I think it's mainly steaks that come served on parts of scaffolding planks, or cold seafood platters on a slate.

Mmmm, I'm hungry now !

Talking of wine FLY. Mrs C & I visited a winery last week in the IOW & purchased a bottle of Rosee (sp) well last night we drank it & both of us had matching blinding headaches this morning ! How often do we say "Never again"  !

#2 Katy you would have liked my Mum, she made great Yorkshires and did exactly what you said. Each one was as big as a dinner plate and the meat, spuds and greens all went inside, I can taste that gravy soaked Yorkshire right now and am dribbling.

I used to eat out regularly one of my favourites was the Coeur de Lyon on the Newark road. Now I prefer fresh from my garden.

• Upvote 1

If you think that's expensive take a look at Sat Bains prices. I am tempted to go and try the "tasting menu" just to see what it's like but I'd be moaning about the cost all the way home! £110 for the 10 courses plus they have the nerve to charge a "discretionary" 12.5% service charge!

Phil , gone are the days of La Buca and Puccini. While in Italy try, " Wine story" and  " L' Oca Giuliva.  In Castagnole delle Lanze

Both have received certificates of excellence. Prices easily acceptable. Mind you I' m predjudist.

I agree though prices are sometimes a bit exagerated but if you know the prices before you go in and dont want to pay go somewhere else.

Our local specialities for an 8-10 course meal costs around €25-30.  The food is excellent  but as its a turist area practically every restaurant has basically the same things.

our restaurants do make local specialities with a twist. 

Plus here tipping is usually only given by turists and is not even classed as discretionary. Let us know how you go at Sat Bains. Dont think I could now eat 10 courses.

La Buca - oh happy days! I ought to go to Sat Bains on behalf of this forum and report back. The 10 courses are only a "taste" so probably quite easy to work through. The trouble is my wife would want to come as well so that's £220 plus gratuity. I'll ask around and see if anyone's been. I do know a few posh people!

• Upvote 1

#7. We've eaten in Sat Bains 3 times in the past few years and the last time we chose the Tasting Menu.  What we found to be a bit of a cheek was that Course number 7 (?) was Quail's Egg and it was extra!  Think they wanted £7 or £8.  We asked for just one and we'd share it, LOL.   Oh and Sat Bains wasn't even in the country at the time, nevermind in the kitchen. 

We like it there, it's special and the staff really look after the guests but at those prices it's not a place to go to every week.  

Edit.     Oh and we're not posh!  

• Upvote 1

Neither do I have a big appetite Jill but each of those courses is tiny, even I could eat everything put in front of me, particularly half a quail's egg.  Had to wash the meal down with a good wine though.  

NonnaB's family restaurants in Castagnole delle Lanze are fabulous and certainly well worth a visit.  We were there in early 2016, excellent food and wine in an extremely pleasant cosy atmosphere.  

• Upvote 1

I think when you go the top end restaurants, like Sat Bains, you're presented with a "set' menu that might not be your choice, if you had the option to choose.  I'd like to go there, but that puts me off. Have been to some fantastic restaurants, mainly in Europe, where, although the prices are higher than average (but nowhere near 2 or 3 Michelin Star prices), it's well worth the extra for the quality of food and the experience

• Upvote 1

Next year then Phil. It'll give you chance to save up for it !

Bleddy Phillistines !

#19 Going back to March 1963 as an apprentice on EMGAS I was sent to a mains laying gang to observe the procedures employed.

As usual with EMGAS it was like stepping into a Dickens book, the first morning break at 9-30 was a real shock, the foreman had already got the tea on the go, boiling a huge black kettle over a coke brazier ready for when the guys came back from the grip (trench to you). The first thing a couple of did was wash off their shovels, then place them on the brazier followed by a lump of lard, eggs and bacon..... by it did smell good when all you had a cheese sandwich. Bet you can't guess who had an egg and two rashers in his snap bag the next day.

• Upvote 2

For value for money, The Bombay on Mapperley Plains takes some beating.

Superb service, and always a friendly welcome.