• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We don't eat out much these days. Restaurant meals are a rip off and the price of wine is just silly. There seems to be a trend now for discarding the humble plate for serving the food. Of the last tw

Straight after chemo on Thursday I went down to the Park Hotel (ex Savoy) where I met Mrs C and Pat and John McKenzie. Pat (nee Bond), a Sherwood girl, was Linda's friend and at school with her, and e

Shurrup moaning you lot, it's nice to go out to a good restaurant occasionally.  

Quite right Jill #22, engine crew could claim a '20 minute meal break between the 3rd. & 5th. hours of duty where circumstances permitted?' the railway dray horses were entitled to the same 20 mins to put the nosebags on!.

Re. over priced wines we went last year to a hotel on the sea front at Oban (Queen Alexander?) all the wines were priced @ £10.00 per bottle, £3.00 per glass! by the 3rd. evening the 'chiller' couldn't keep pace with the bottle sales of white & rose' !! 

#26 I do vaguely remember that CT, did they also have function rooms. I think it was there

we had a works Christmas Diner Dance I had to present the bosses wife with a bouquet.

Thought I was the bees knees in my beautiful red chiffon dress :happy: I was only 16.

• Upvote 3

Going to a beautiful restaurant tonight. Local specialities and outdoor eating. Mind you theres a storm brewing so it will be indoor eating , shame really because its a beautiful setting.

will take some piccies of dishes and surroundings weather permitting. And of course a copy of bill.

While people keep going to these fancy restaurants and paying extortionate prices for the privilege is there any wonder that these celebrity chefs make a fortune. The portions are not value for money, you could produced far more for a lot less yourself. I know you are paying for staff and cost of production, but there are limits. When I look at menus it is usually for steak but I am put off when the price for a steak weighing no more than eight ounces is twice the price I pay at the butcher I use for a kilo. Mark up is one thing but rip off is another.

• Upvote 1

Sorry folks no piccies. Weather cold and wet. My husband had anchovies for antipasto and I had an octopus and potato salad. Alex and I had pasta with sardines ( fresh) mum just had a main with squid, prawns and small, tiny fresh anchovies. 2 desserts of Tart Tatin a bottle of chardonnay . The bill €60 

I wouldnt say that was expensive. € 20 ahead. 

We pay a lot more for a pizza and a beer.

Get out and enjoy being served a good meal its better than expecting your wife to sweat over a stove and having to wash up afterwards.

• Upvote 3

I totally agree with the above two posts. I haven't spent nearly 50 years of my life working hard, in order to spend my retirement years cooking, be it breakfast, lunch, tea or dinner. I love eating out at cafes, garden centres, pubs, and especially restaurants. 

You can get a decent small fried breakfast for under £4, and we indulge at least once a week. Eating out at restaurants is most enjoyable, as it gives us both time to relax and unwind. 

I definitely don't pay over the top prices, but if you're intending spending say £25 per head, does it really matter if you go over it by a fiver or so. 

I'm not flushed with cash, but it's nice just to be waited on once or twice every few weeks.

As I don't gamble, other than the lottery, don't hang out in Bookies, and don't buy clothes on a whim, then I think my outlay at restaurants is money well spent !

Edited..... Plus it keeps people in gainful employment !

• Upvote 3

Well said.

My mum is 95, cant walk far and sits all day as she is in a lot of pain....but tell her we are eating out whether its at my sons or daughters restaurant or elsewhere she is on the ball and goes to choose her clothes that shes going to wear hours in advance. I swear shes got a little skip in her step. It does her the world of good and as she's deaf she weighs all the other customers up and guesses who they are and what they do. Sometimes I have to say ssshhh theyre english especially if its not quite complimentary. But it does keep her mind alert. 

I agree with Fly to eat out you dont have to spend a fortune. A coffee occasionally is a lovely way of getting up and going, although I do go for a coffee in uk sometimes ( I think its expensive compared with here). Cappuccino €1 with croissant € 2.50. I would go everyday not just on market day.

We have a couple of japanese / chinese places ,eat as much as you like for €10.99 / 12.99. You eat what you want or what you can eat, not to stuff yourself.

• Upvote 5

Just returned from having breakfast out. Scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on chunky granary bread, bacon sandwich , two coffees £14. ... Can't fault it..... Not all mine of course !

• Upvote 1

Straight after chemo on Thursday I went down to the Park Hotel (ex Savoy) where I met Mrs C and Pat and John McKenzie. Pat (nee Bond), a Sherwood girl, was Linda's friend and at school with her, and emigrated to Australia 42 years a go. We haven't seen them since. After a drinks we used the bar menu at the hotel - between us there was a mixture of hot and cold dishes, some soup and glasses of wine. John's brother was there also, so there were five of us. The bill came to £81. Perhaps a little steep, but it was hotel prices and the occasion was special. The photo was taken two hours after chemo, and I don't look too bad - Mrs C in coloured top.

IMG_0068.jpg

• Upvote 8

Lovely to see Pat. She hasnt changed at all still that lovely smile. Wish I could be there too. Chulla you look good keep it up

• Upvote 1

Nine years ago this August my daughter held her wedding reception & evening disco at the at the Park Hotel (Savoy) & then a pint of nothing special beer & a large glass of white house wine was over £9 !! I continued our drinking across the road at the Grovenor.

#42. Bless you my child - I'll spin a prayer-wheel for you.

• Upvote 1

I always reckon there should be dining in certain pubs, but I prefer a restaurant, especially mid week and in school term time. 

I more often than not choose a table well away from kids, but if anyone brings in kids and attempts to sit near me, then I give them one of my 'looks'.

• Upvote 1

If that's unsuccessful then I begin muttering about 'Come back King Herod'. 

• Upvote 1
  • 11 months later...

Tonight my husband and I are going to a restaurant. Nothing special in that but its special to me. Since Last summer we have been unable to go out for a meal together. Now mum is in care it means that we can start to resume our routine of going out for a coffee or meal together.

Its been hard on both of us and its put a strain on us as it does a lot of other couple with elderly parents to take care of but we both knew it wouldnt be an easy voyage. Don't get me wrong, but when you are under strain or pressure little annoyances creep in and grate. When mum was in convalescence the number of men and women said exactly the same thing. 

However we shall enjoy our evening together and forget the present for a while.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Spot on nonnaB, I've been in a similar situation for over a year now, and it certainly does grate on me. Madam reckons I even more grumpy, sharp and irritable nowadays...... No way !

• Like 1