Yes even to, " what did you say " or not understanding the meaning of what was said and various combinations..  Today and the last few days I have cleaned the house and done the biggest load of ironing. Carers,  however good or clean they dont do things how you want them. So Ive been in all the corners and nooks and crannies and done it " my way" . Yes I'm tired and I'm in pain but I have a great satisfaction of what Ive done. Once more my husband is pleased that I press his trousers how he likes them !

Looking for a cleaner to come in once a week but cant find one but at the moment I can do it myself even if it takes a while.

• Like 2
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We don't eat out much these days. Restaurant meals are a rip off and the price of wine is just silly. There seems to be a trend now for discarding the humble plate for serving the food. Of the last tw

Straight after chemo on Thursday I went down to the Park Hotel (ex Savoy) where I met Mrs C and Pat and John McKenzie. Pat (nee Bond), a Sherwood girl, was Linda's friend and at school with her, and e

Shurrup moaning you lot, it's nice to go out to a good restaurant occasionally.  

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

In see that Nottingham's Restaurant Sat Bains has been voted 4th best in the world in Trip Advisors Travellers Choice Awards.

Any recent experiences, reviews, pricing or menus from Nottstalgians.

Having stayed in a number of places highly recommended by Trip Adviser where the reality was a long way from the reviews I wonder if this is the case here. If it is not and it is real then good luck to them and well done.

We’ve eaten there 3 times Oz and it was well worth the experience but pricey.  Each time we’ve had the Tasting Menu, about 10 courses but tiny exquisite portions which our waiter describes as he brings it to the table.  Last time we were there, 2 or 3 years ago, we were offered an extra course mid way through the meal, ‘Quail’s egg’. Being cheapskates we thought we’d have just one and share it, LOL.  It’s not easy sharing a quail’s egg.  

The restaurant is tucked away under Clifton Bridge and surrounded by pylons, not the nicest surroundings but with Sat Bains’ reputation he really doesn’t need to be in the middle of town.  We’ll go again but it really is a Special Occasion dining experience.  

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, LizzieM said:

We’ve eaten there 3 times Oz and it was well worth the experience but pricey.

Thanks LizzieM, What is a typical tasting menu and what is pricey?

I guess the prices will now go up towards those of Heston and Rick Stein.

I don't mind paying for a good meal in pleasant surroundings with attentive but not intrusive staff but I am over designer food with tiny morsels on oversize plates or served on stuff left over from a building site

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I though we might give Sat Bains a try purely out of curiosity, although now he has elevated status you might have to put your name down at birth. The testing menu looks a bit vague and not especially tempting but the crowning statement at the bottom - 'a 12.5% discretionary gratuity will be added to your bill' was a bit cheeky and a misuse of language. So sorry Mr. Bains - you can stick your tasting menu at £120 up somewhere you can't taste it! It looks like a bowl of chips in the old Sherwood bus depot will be the height of my gourmet experience!

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

So sorry Mr. Bains - you can stick your tasting menu at £120 up somewhere you can't taste it! It looks like a bowl of chips in the old Sherwood bus depot will be the height of my gourmet experience!

Bl**dy heck, that's $230 Australian Dollars with gratuity, not likely to be on my list of eateries should I return.

Nowt wrong wi a bowl of chips and lashings of brown sauce

Not likely to effect me. I long ago dismissed 'fine dining' and haute cuisine as pretentious claptrap. I may be a philistine but at least I'm not a hungry when I leave a restaurant.

• Like 2

Too right. It generally comes from Brakes and is heated up in the microwave. I once took a sneaky peek into the kitchen of a fine dining restaurant and saw rows of microwaves. How else can they bring the stuff to the table so quickly? As in all things you’ve got to see through the con. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, LizzieM said:

We’ve eaten there 3 times Oz and it was well worth the experience but pricey.  Each time we’ve had the Tasting Menu, about 10 courses but tiny exquisite portions which our waiter describes as he brings it to the table.  Last time we were there, 2 or 3 years ago, we were offered an extra course mid way through the meal, ‘Quail’s egg’. Being cheapskates we thought we’d have just one and share it, LOL.  It’s not easy sharing a quail’s egg.  

The restaurant is tucked away under Clifton Bridge and surrounded by pylons, not the nicest surroundings but with Sat Bains’ reputation he really doesn’t need to be in the middle of town.  We’ll go again but it really is a Special Occasion dining experience.  

Are you sure you're not talking about the Ponderosa  (discussed elsewhere on the site) Lizzie?  Lol.

Saus' cobs to die for back in the sixties.  Just near Clifton bridge.  we always dropped in when our first call was out that way

• Upvote 1

No Loppy, it's not the Ponderosa, since demolished, it's situated north of the Trent down a little lane off the island to B&Q, Park & Ride, Boots etc. It's on the Boots side of the A52 (west) and is near a golf course. Google it.

Re the best sausage cobs in Nottingham, well while at Plessey's, we'd do a Saturday and Sunday morning run to Parkers near the island south of Dunkirk flyover. It was next to the Fire Station that once stood there.  It was actually sausage meat, and very spicy, but beautiful after a hectic night. 

I went in a few years ago, and it's really gone downhill. It's called Kelly's or something similar, which really gives out connotations of a greasy spoon establishment. 

Where I live, dining out is not nearly as much of a special occasion as it is in Britain. Any restaurant (unless it's specifically catering for passing trade and tourists) which doesn't reach a good standard closes within days - sometimes even quicker. I know of one which closed down the same night that it first opened.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, loppylugs said:

Are you sure you're not talking about the Ponderosa  (discussed elsewhere on the site) Lizzie?  Lol.

Saus' cobs to die for back in the sixties.  Just near Clifton bridge.  we always dropped in when our first call was out that way

No Loppy, not the Ponderosa, or to give it its correct name ‘Clifton Bridge Inn’. We occasionally frequented that place years ago, meeting some of our Cliftonite relations.  Never ate anything in the pub so can’t comment on the sausage cobs.  

14 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Thanks LizzieM, What is a typical tasting menu and what is pricey?

I guess the prices will now go up towards those of Heston and Rick Stein.

Oz, you can see a sample menu on tinternet and despite comments on here re Sat Bains I stand by what I’ve said, it’s a special dining experience for a special occasion.

Never had a meal in Heston Blumenthal’s eatery but have dined in Rick Stein’s Sandbanks restaurant numerous times, when we can get a table that is, it’s always full and due to that they only want you using the table for less than 2 hours max, however we’ve never been chucked out.   Again, it’s a good experience and is not as expensive as Sat Bains.  

Been Sat Bains mates missis got a three hundred quid gift for achieving some targets & invited us, did that taster menu, bill for table of 4 just over £600, me & Mrs Red had trouble getting a taxi home from Clifton Bridge & ended up in the back of a pizza delivery drivers van for a fiver.    

I have seen him a few times in Lillie Langtry's & he's always in the chair, seems a nice bloke.   

1 hour ago, radfordred said:

me & Mrs Red had trouble getting a taxi home from Clifton Bridge & ended up in the back of a pizza delivery drivers van for a fiver.   

That reminded me of when our son was out drinking with his mates.  We lived in a village 2 miles outside a market town but even 20 years ago the taxi fare was a fiver.  More than once he went into the local pizza place and ordered a delivery then got into the delivery driver’s car for a ride home for nothing. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We've not been to Sat Bains yet, hopefully we'll get there at some point. You can't knock having such an establishment in Nottingham and price wise, whilst not cheap it's not that pricey in the scheme of things.

l agree with Lizzie, for those that are happy to pay and appreciate more up-market dining, it's a great experience for those occasions when you want to push the boat out a bit. If you look, the reviews speak for themselves.

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, TBI said:

We've not been to Sat Bains yet, hopefully we'll get there at some point. You can't knock having such an establishment in Nottingham and price wise, whilst not cheap it's not that pricey in the scheme of things.

l agree with Lizzie, for those that are happy to pay and appreciate more up-market dining, it's a great experience for those occasions when you want to push the boat out a bit. If you look, the reviews speak for themselves.

Since the advent of nouvelle cuisine and celebrity chefs we've a cultivated a breed of pretentious foodies. I think a lot of it is just like the "Emperors New Clothes". At one time you used to go out to a decent restaurant and have a quality meal - preferably something which would be more elaborate than you would cook at home without all the faff that went with that. Now we've got 10 course "tasting menus". Can you really satisfy a hearty appetite with microscopic portions of God knows what on the plate? I used to eat out a lot, especially when I was in business. I was usually the customer so I was wined and dined in top restaurants both in the UK and Europe but this was "proper" well cooked food in adequate portions. I don't eat out much now as pub meals are reheated ready prepared stuff and the more upmarket places want to dish the food up on a roofing slate or a plank of wood. Tonight at home we have casserole of venison. Good, simple plain English food. I can smell it cooking now - must go and pour myself a glass of wine!

• Like 4