A new Facebook page has recently appeared - https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=nottingham victoria station 3d - from a group of people who are putting together a 3D model of Victoria station (not connected with the Digital version who posted here on Nottstalgia a couple of years ago).

During their research they’ve come across a collection of colour photos of Victoria taken in the last years of its life by a photographer named Brian Jeyes.   The photos are very atmospheric; even people who aren’t interested in railways might find them slightly impressive. Here’s a few examples.

6cUrLQU.jpg

7phqjAH.jpg

eGwNr8o.jpg

HE5Mo1K.jpg?1

• Like 4
  • Upvote 11

How beautiful, thank you for posting, Cliff Ton. I have never seen these before.. quite something.

They've recently added a new (old) photo showing the Glasshouse Street side of the place, and it makes an interesting Then-and-Now comparison. There is still an entrance in the sidewall to Glasshouse St.

t2z1r3f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Slightly off topic, but what's with all the wavy lines on the road?  I've seen them on other pictures of Nottingham roads.  They weren't there when I lived there.

No parking adjacent to the lines, as it is either side of a pedestrian crossing, or traffic light controlled crossing. 

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

A couple more.

Facing the front, with Shakespeare Street behind the photographer. On the far left is the pub which had various names including 'The Regent'. To the side of the Atkey's advert is the entrance to the famous footbridge through the roof.

pI40mzD.jpg

A bit blurry; the main booking hall.

SMQk29V.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 8
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Another which isn't in colour, but came from the same FB page, courtesy of a photographer named Graham Putt.

Looking cross the front of the station to the pub which is still there and currently called Keogh's Bar, and which I remember as The Regent. The famous footbridge through the roof started where the Morris Minor is parked.

XuqKd7x.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Amazing pics Cliff Ton. That booking hall is a most lmpressive space complete with balcony.

For our family once a year (late 40s/50s) we caught the train to London then change for the Kent coast, Isle of Thanet.

I've used the Midland station a few times but it seemed mundane to this child compared with the glass canopied  Victoria.

We used to go on holiday from Victoria station in the fifties. It always seemed a magnificent place to me as a wide eyed kid and the smell of steam trains only added to the atmosphere. Modern stations do not have the same appeal as the old ones, no wonder the heritage lines are so popular.

• Like 1

These pics bring back some great memories, Thanks!   As an apprentice electrician the company I worked for did a lot of maintenance and additions at the Vic Hotel so we parked out front of the hotel right next to the station.  I met my first wife athe YMCA Monday night dance just up the street.  We left there and walked across the bridge to Huntingdon street to get the bus.  1963. Great times.

• 6 months later...

A while ago, the 'Vic Station in Colour' Facebook Page added a few photos which showed passengers rather than trains. Boots workers on a day trip from Victoria to London in the 1920s. Spot yer granny.

HTNjBsG.jpg

sLA1wy0.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2
  • 3 months later...

A variation on "Then and Now".

The "Now" is the closest you can get to the equivalent location; it's the top floor of the Vic Centre car park. In the old photo you'd be standing on the roof of the signal box.

5Tj9WJ5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Some great pictures in this thead. To my knowledge, I never set foot in Victoria Station though.

I wonder where the Boots ladies would be off to in Wembley. Presumably not the footy.

• Like 1

Great pics Cliff. Love the Denton to Stanton iron ore train.

A distinct lack of common sense and forward thinking loppy.

• Like 1