I have just had a look through a few threads and all my pictures have gone the same way. What a rotten trick, all those posts with pictures from photobucket that we have shared have been spoilt.

Just looked back at #7 CliffTon, it looks like the image has gone the same way?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you're right, BS.   I have - or had - a lot on PB, but I was only using it to link to Nottstalgia. I never used it as a storage facility, and everything I had on PB is still availabl

Just cleared what few pics I have on PB and deleted my account in answer to the question why do you want to leave I told them straight I no longer want to be involved with people like them.

So has Mrs C  !!  

Much better all round Mick,It only took about five minutes to register,change password,upload a picture and put it on this site,brilliant,thank for the headsup

Rog

• Upvote 2
59 minutes ago, carni said:

I have just had a look through a few threads and all my pictures have gone the same way. What a rotten trick, all those posts with pictures from photobucket that we have shared have been spoilt.

Just looked back at #7 CliffTon, it looks like the image has gone the same way?

Yes, it looks like Photobucket are working their way through all the accounts.  There are now a lot of missing images in most Nottstalgia threads.

I have signed up with Postimage, but on checking my Photobucket library all 303 images are still there. Have checked the meeting pictures on the thread and they are still all there. All of my images are my own  jpegs; I have never imported from another site. Looks like if you only import you own pics you will be alright. Will try the Postimage as it looks a great deal simpler that PB.

I have puposely left most of my images on PB for one reason, that is all pics on web forums will be lost ! My important ones have been downloaded & hosted on Postimage, like a second copy.

Here is a simple & easy tutorial on using Postimage.

• Like 1

All images should be left on Photobucket but they can be backed up locally for each account holder.

This will effect thousands of websites, not just ours. 

Nothing yet on Invisionpower support forums, that will change.

It need a script writing to check every post for a photobucket image link.

Direct download a copy and upload to new hosting location. Then rewrite the post with new image URL.

It wont be an easy problem to solve, if it can be done.

This is going to cost PB a lot of clients, both paying and free in lost advertising revenue, I see a lot here are moving to other photo repositories, including myself, multiply that by millions!!

• Upvote 2

Seems to me that this will hurt rather than help PB.

Lets face it. Most folks are probably looking for free image hosting and it looks like there is still some about.  We have mostly gotten used to free stuff on the Internet.  I suppose the idea is that they hope to reach a critical number and then start charging.  They will find a lot of resistance to that.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't complain too much if you delete some of my old posts.  Probably help the bandwidth of the forum a bit anyway.  It is too bad about some of the truly historical pictures that some have posted should be lost though.  I hope there might be some way to rescue them.

Photo's use only a URL, not a lot of storage space on this site, it's called embedding.

Yes, I'm with you on that, John.  I was just thinking that any text on the post becomes a bit meaningless without the photo it refers to so it might as well be deleted.  :)

• Upvote 1

Oh great!

I'm signing up to imgbb for hopefully future use, but even if I were to transfer everything to it from Photobucket, as you can't edit your posts after a short while it wouldn't be possible anyway to go back through everything to alter the links.  

This is really messing up so many of the posts on here.

43 minutes ago, taxi ray said:

All my pictures hosted by photobucket, are still on my computer, so can still be added.

The only problem is I don't know in what topics that they were in.

Unfortunately, even if you did know where they were you wouldn't be able to do anything, because you can't go back into old topics and re-link photos to another host (eg Flickr). 

4 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Yes, I'm with you on that, John.  I was just thinking that any text on the post becomes a bit meaningless without the photo it refers to so it might as well be deleted.  :)

I'll quote this time... Please don't report me...LOL

I'll leave Mick to make that decision Dave, as when posts are removed a thread loses continuity.

I've been on Photobucket almost from the start.

I upgraded years ago to subscription to avoid adverts.

This was a few $ if I remember.

It's gone up over the years to $24.95 per year for a "Plus 20" account.

I'm downloading all just in case I don't have backups, then cancelling the auto payment which just happens to be due on Sunday.

I suspect the $24.95 would go up this year, it's not listed as an option.

I'll go with Postimage.

It's seems to be slow downloading, I suspect there are millions of people getting out of Photobkt.

• Like 1