Hi all. smile2

I'll get straight to the point. My granddad and I often talk about how life was in the 40's and 50's. The other day we got talking about which schools he went to, who his teachers were etc etc. And I told him I would post something on here to see if anyone remembers him and his parents or brother. 

My granddad's name is Raymond Arthur Nichols and was born on 17 Nov 1941. His brother was Trevor J Nichols and was born in '44. Their parents were Elsie Nichols (Bowser) and Arthur Nichols, they all lived on Kelso Terrace.  My granddad said that he attended Queens Walk Infants School (I think as he said that's the school he went to first), then he moved on to Trent Bridge Boys School which he has very fond memories of. Our family were very involved in the rail industry too. 

Below is a picture of my granddad when he married my grandma in 1966. I have got a picture of him as a young boy but can't put it up at the moment. 

I would love to hear if anyone can remember them, especially Ray as I know he would too. 

1839a36b-d906-49ec-9439-97209d7a9cd9.jpg

• Upvote 3

Welcome from me, too.  (Although it's made me feel REALLY old as I was born in 1943!)

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the forum.  I'm sure you will enjoy it here.  See if you can get your granddad to join us here as well.  He is close to quite a few of our ages.

Talk to him about those days as much as you can.  I know that there are quite a few of us here wish we had asked our grandparents more when they were still with us.

• Upvote 3

Thank you so much for welcoming me, I am sure I will enjoy also. I would try but he can only just work a mobile phone and even though he has spoken once about maybe learning how to use a computer or laptop I don't think he would grasp it. But as I said I will try :). 

One of the many things he has taught me is to know where I come from and the history behind our family, the places we live etc.. I now pass that onto my 2 children and that's obviously where I get it from. I started my family tree last year and in 2 weeks managed to get over 200 members on my granddad's paternal side.. He got so emotional as there was this disagreement between him and his brother about their granddad working on the trains.. then we also found out last year that on the same street they lived on, a few houses up there lived another Nichols who was my granddads cousin.  

Sorry for the long post :) I just find things like this interesting and if you dig deep enough you'll uncover things you would never dream of. x

• Upvote 3

Welcome to Nottstalgia! You and your grandad will love this site. My 87 year old auntie was given an iPad for Christmas. There's no stopping her now. You're never too old!

Well done for starting your family tree. Grandad is an invaluable resource. Record all the information he can give you!

• Upvote 2

Welcome from me too. Family history gets you hooked. I started many years ago and got stuck with some information that stumped me. I left off for a while then went back to it and found out more than I thought I would. I' m 73 and only have my mum left at 95 yrs of age. She can only tell me her side so gather as much info as you can.

Sometimes you come across such sadness as I did a few yrs ago. Tracing one particular family who emigrated to America , the wife became ill and died, the husband had a fall from a horse and died. Of their 4 children only one survived and lived until she was in her 90's. You will find the survival rate of small children was very low. There were so many on my tree that it upset me terribly and left it again. But I will still go ahead to find out more. My ancestors have become real to me not just names and dates and I imagine what they must have been like. Good luck.

• Upvote 1

Thank you Nonna! Already I feel so welcomed by everyone. :)

I must admit it has been a real eye opener for me too..When I first started my whole family tree I only did it because I knew it would make my granddad happy and because I was curious as to what I would find out. I have tried to do my step-dad's and partners trees but with limited info it has been hard. I thought I was going off track a bit as you can very easily do so on ancestry websites etc, however when I spoke with granddad and put things forward to him he was amazed and verified everything!  There was a bit of a scandal in our family that none of us knew about but probably for good reason, it turns out my great great granddad Robert Nichols who lived on Middle Furlong Gardens married Sarah Powell who then sadly died whilst in labour, Robert then went on to marry her sister Emma (which in those days was not the best thing to do.) 

I can remember granddad's mum saying she was one of 11 I think and something like 9 survived which is still a high survival rate for back in those days but as you can imagine our family is huge. I have around 240 members on my tree but I know thats not half of it as there are mainly just as recent as my granddads cousins as I can't really get and more recent.

• Upvote 1

Computers IPads etc. are pretty straightforward these days.  If you can turn it on. Find a bookmark and how to login to NS you're home free.  Folks on here are pretty forgiving of the occasional long posts, like mine.  :rolleyes:. We're full of dog/cat/music lovers etc. here. I bet granddad would be hooked before he knew it.  :biggrin:

• Upvote 2
14 hours ago, hanziiemeadows91 said:

My granddad said that he attended Queens Walk Infants School (I think as he said that's the school he went to first),

If you haven't already seen these, I think this is the place in question.

wQhUpoM.jpg?1

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, BilboroughShirley said:

Welcome to Nottstalgia.  Thank you for your very interesting posts. Family history research is so addictive! I have been researching various branches of our family since 1988. There are some sad stories but also many lovely ones. Enjoy!

Thank you Shirley. :)

It certainly is. Sorry if I go on a bit haha. You're right though, all stories are equally important. xx

1 hour ago, loppylugs said:

Computers IPads etc. are pretty straightforward these days.  If you can turn it on. Find a bookmark and how to login to NS you're home free.  Folks on here are pretty forgiving of the occasional long posts, like mine.  :rolleyes:. We're full of dog/cat/music lovers etc. here. I bet granddad would be hooked before he knew it.  :biggrin:

I have mentioned this to my partner and we have agreed to get granddad a simple tablet for him to use. I am sure he will get used to it eventually :D He is very quick to learn. I will be sure to keep you all updated as to when he arrives on this wonderful site. Granddad loves hi music! He watches Glastonbury every year and we have a good old chinwag about the artists. He was a rocker back in the day so loves his Dire Straits etc but also a bit of Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole. Probably explains where I get my taste in music from haha xx

• Upvote 1

Hi and welcome,

My wife 69 January next and never been on a computer, tablet or any other internet device, never touched a keyboard.

Last Christmas my son bought a tablet, he and his daughter set it up for her much to my amusement. How wrong could I be granddaughter gave her a couple of lessons and occasional advice, now she is on it ever day, checking the weather e-mailing friends, she even had the granddaughter waving to her on a web cam when they were on holiday in Salcombe Bay.

Granddad may surprise you, my wife certainly surprised me.

• Upvote 4